Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get my oil changed today and was wondering if the quick change places are ok to do this? The wait at the dealer is over 2 weeks. I cant wait that long. Also how do you turn off the matinance required light oof?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
elect1960 said:
I wanted to get my oil changed today and was wondering if the quick change places are ok to do this? The wait at the dealer is over 2 weeks. I cant wait that long. Also how do you turn off the matinance required light oof?
Sure, if you drive the kar into and out of the bay, and assure that they put in no more than 3.5 quarts (3 quarts exactly is perfectly fine, and this is easy to do by giving them your own bottled oil). To turn off the maintenance light, see the procedure given in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Thanks
Steve
Personally, I am not a big fan of the quickie lube places.

Check with another dealer, if all you need is an oil change, many of them have drive up express lube service while you wait. If they aren't done in a certain time, it is free.

Spike

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Changing the oil on the Prius is super easy. But if you don't feel up to it, or are not generally used to doing that, then having a dealer do it is great. But if one dealer is full, find another. Feel free to bring your own oil. Dealers typically use whatever oil is bulk and inexpensive. If you want to use synthetic you will probably have to bring your own. Some dealers offer synthetic, but at rediculous prices.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"The wait at the dealer (for an oil change) is over 2 weeks. I cant wait that long."
TWO WEEKS to get an oil change..? That does not compute.
Find another dealer. Lacking that; Quckies are usually OK but bear watching. They will frequently overfill. And..don't let 'em sell you anything but oil. Keep proper records for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've had my Prius for over a year now, remember reading that an oil fill shouldn't exceed 3.5 quarts, but don't recall the reasoning for this. Can someone "fill" me in. With 2 oil changes already completed, I have no idea how much was put in, but have had no problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The dry capacity of the oil system including the filter is 3.9 US quarts. About a half-quart stays inside the system during an oil+filter change because oil sticks to all of the inner surfaces, so adding more than about 3-1/2 quarts will overfill it. Experience shows that 3 quarts exactly works just fine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I get billed for 4 quarts of oil each time I get the car serviced. I don't see why they have to do that since I'm not getting the full 4 qts. Don't they have a large size bulk container from which they fill the cars? Surely they don't use quart size bottles. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just a little note, the quickie places, theres one fundemental problem. when you drain the oil, the longer it drains, the more of the old oil gets out of the system. Another issue is that most of the quick places dont slant your car, so a small amount pools inside the pan itself. Maybe i am a bit biased because i try not to get maintainance or repair done by large corps. but i guess i can say people i know who worked at jiffy lube, will not take their cars their themselves..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.