Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I didn't get an owner's manual with mine, can someone tell me when my first oil change is due? I am going on a road trip next week, and want to figure out if I should get it changed before or after.

Thanks,
Spike

·
Registered
26 Posts
according to Toyota, the first scheduled oil change is at 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever is first. My dad, out of his beliefs, had the oil changed for the first time at 1000 miles (and then again at 5000).
Also note that this isn't just an oil change, but rather a periodic "service", which is supposed to include a tire rotation as well as a visual inspection of the brakes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ask your dealer for one. If he refuses, complain to Toyota. You have a right to a manual, and Toyota will want to make sure you see all the warnings. Half the manual, if not more, is warnings. Don't drink the battery acid. Don't drive off a cliff. Don't stick your finger into a 220 v. outlet while standing in the bathtub. Don't park on the railroad tracks when the train is coming... There's even a little bit of useful information in there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Daniel said:
Ask your dealer for one. If he refuses, complain to Toyota. You have a right to a manual, and Toyota will want to make sure you see all the warnings. Half the manual, if not more, is warnings. Don't drink the battery acid. Don't drive off a cliff. Don't stick your finger into a 220 v. outlet while standing in the bathtub. Don't park on the railroad tracks when the train is coming... There's even a little bit of useful information in there.
:D Daniel, you absolutely crack me up!!! Pretty funny. After a rough day, that entry was worth it all!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
We had the same situation with the 2003 - no manual. Told the dealer, and they handed me one - no problem. I'm guessing they pulled it out of another car, rather than make a new customer wait, but eventually playing "musical manuals" would probably catch up when an ordered replacement finally arrived. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I wanted to read the owner's manual when I took my test drive. They actually let me have the demo for free all day one Sunday, while they were closed (Saturday night to Monday morning). But there was no manual in it, and they didn't know what had happened to it. My guess is that a previous driver had taken it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I posted the bit about the manual in another posting. I just got the car on Sunday, a couple of previous people had passed on the car (color, options, 2004 model, etc.). One of them took the manual. The dealer has one on order for me, but it is expected in about 2 weeks (well a week now). Since I will take a long trip before I get the manual, I wanted to check if I needed an oil change.

untill that time though, I will try to refrain from the consumption of battery acid ;-)

Spike

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Spike said:
I just got the car on Sunday, a couple of previous people had passed on the car (color, options, 2004 model, etc.). One of them took the manual. The dealer has one on order for me, but it is expected in about 2 weeks (well a week now). Since I will take a long trip before I get the manual, I wanted to check if I needed an oil change.
Hmm, that's a bit unfortunate. The manual includes user safety info, details of how to tow the car without destroying the drive train, how to get a jumpstart, and when to shift into "B".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts