Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The standard Prius oil change is 7500 miles or 6 months. We are coming up on our first 6 months and only have 5,000 miles on it. Should we get our oil change at the 6 month mark or the 7500 mile mark? What should we do to ensure the first complementary service?

·
Registered
165 Posts
In France we are supposed to get oil change every 15000 km (9321 miles) or once a year. And still it looks quite good (dark yellow) after 15000 km. So I think you can choose the cheapest solution, although it depends also on which oil is used (I can't tell if mine if the same as yours).

frenchie

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
MrTuffPaws said:
The standard Prius oil change is 7500 miles or 6 months. We are coming up on our first 6 months and only have 5,000 miles on it. Should we get our oil change at the 6 month mark or the 7500 mile mark? What should we do to ensure the first complementary service?
It's 6 months OR 7500 miles. Whichever comes first.

Be sure to bring along your Prius Passport to Performance (scheduled maintenance guide). It lists the complementary services there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mr.Tuff

I only had 7800 miles on mine here in Colorado and they performed the 2nd 6 month service here last month. So I too know what your asking. However, they do not seem to want to perform the 15k mile service because they say it does not have the mileage. The only service I get from them is oil/filter and tire rotation.

I didnt argue, but feel if its 6 months or now in my case 12 months and would normally be 15k miles, then they should perform the 15k checks.

My mechanics excuse is the car hasnt been driven "FAR" enough to justify changing of the A/C filter and other small items that 15 or 12 mo requires.

My arguement is when I use up my five 6 month free services, then they will not have performed the services shown in the "Passport" book, and then I will have to pay more in the long run to have this service performed.

Hope I dont sound too confused here.

Why does it always seem like the money is coming out of your personal mechanics pocket in order to get something done? Im sure we paid for this somewhere along the line when we bought the cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my case the dealer recommended the 4 month interval after
discussing what area I drive in most (Hudson county, NJ) and
the type of driving (lots of small trips, several medium and
long trips).

Given that my previous car had to have several alignment
adjustments over its life due to road conditions, I'm not
surprized.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Smitty,

You definitely do NOT have to settle for what the mechanic is telling you! The service book is very clear: it's every six months OR every 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. I would go back and insist that they fulfil the free warranty services as stated. Yes, you are correct: it's part of the deal that you paid for.

Sounds like they're trying to avoid "giving" you the a/c filter---not to mention the oil + filter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
simple oil rule

one of my professors did extensive research in large scale motors, but this information applies to all engines...

<engineer speak>85% of all engine wear occurs in the second half of the oil change interval on all wear due to particulate... so if you were to draw a graph, it would look like a really fun water slide starting low and going high exponentially...</engineer speak>

<english>change your oil often</english>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil Changes

I bought my silver 2002 in November 02. It was a dealer "track car" with 15000 miles on it. I know what the suggested oil change intervals are but I don't care. I change it every 3000 miles. (But only because the car wants to change.)

I've clocked 10,000 miles on it as of this writing, including a trip to Oklahoma in March. Byrdi got 45-46 MPG per computer driving 75-80 MPH. I tanked up in Illinois opposite St. Louis and drove all the way to downtown Tulsa w/o refilling.

Most of my driving is urban, tho.

Yes I drive fast and hard. Passed a Red Porche Boxter on Route 24 yesterday en route to Morristown.

Smiled at the driver. :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
"Regular fluid changes are the cheapest insurance"

-Confucious

I didn't know about the engine wear stat, thanks. I've always changed at abotu 60% of recomended, no wonder all those engines made it past 180k miles and still ran well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Personally, I change at 5k. I think that 3k is just something that one of those oil change places came up with to make more sales. Used to always be 5k, and oils have gotten better, not worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts