Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil change most occurs every 75 hours of driving time. As per my calculations, the engine will burn the oil and make it loose viscosity right at 75 hours of driving time. If you want to play safe, you could do it before that applying your own safety and protection factors.

·
Registered
582 Posts
oil change

Many other soldiers have fought this battle so perhaps now it's my turn.

For the current model US Prius, reccomended oil change intervals (OCI) are 5000 miles. To get there in 75 hrs would require an average speed of 113 mph. My, that's fast.

For the previous model (such as mine), the OCI was 7500 miles. In some other markets, the Prius OCI is longer.

I have no objection to you or others changing engine oil more frequently, except that it has to go *somewhere*. Limiting the total environmental impact is part of the whole Prius picture. RM, would you not agree?

I and other Prius drivers have paid for used oil analyses, some from 5000 mile OCI, some from longer. Some synthetic oils, some conventional. In no cases that I have seen (and I observe this matter rather closely) has there been engine oil degradation in terms of accumulated metals worn from the engine, other particles, or increases in oil viscosity. Indeed, all evidence points to the fact that Prius is quite gentle on its engine oil, compared to other vehicles. By the way, I have not heard of loss of Prius engine oil from leaks, burning, or any other earthly mechanism.

I would be very happy to post such oil analysis data here. Mostly for the benefit of *Prius drivers* who wish to understand their vehicles better, and to make informed decisions about vehicle maintenance.

DAS

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"As per my calculations, the engine will burn the oil and make it loose viscosity right at 75 hours of driving time."

Care to share these calculations?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is the recommended change interval for oil really 5000 miles in the u.s? That sounds absolutely insane to me, no cars would be able to sell in europe with shorter service intervals than 15000 kilometers! That´s almost 10000 miles, as far as I understand it. My current car has service intervals for 30000 kilometers and the way I see it the prius should be able to have even longer intervals.

No, I don´t have a prius! Yet......

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
sprett said:
Is the recommended change interval for oil really 5000 miles in the u.s? That sounds absolutely insane to me, no cars would be able to sell in europe with shorter service intervals than 15000 kilometers! That´s almost 10000 miles, as far as I understand it. My current car has service intervals for 30000 kilometers and the way I see it the prius should be able to have even longer intervals.

No, I don´t have a prius! Yet......
I wish Consumer's Reports would do the same tests in Europe as they did in NYC. After testing oil conditions on NYC taxi cabs, they determined oil had too many contaminants to warrant keeping it in the engine past 6K.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Rmarchena said:
The oil change most occurs every 75 hours of driving time. As per my calculations, the engine will burn the oil and make it loose viscosity right at 75 hours of driving time. If you want to play safe, you could do it before that applying your own safety and protection factors.
Another random, unreferenced, unfounded, poorly explained statement from our hero.

ICE-on times for Prius can range from ~25% to nearly 90% depending upon your driving conditions and speed. 75 hours for someone who has a high traffic commute might be only 1500 miles or less with total ICE-on time around 20 hours. The guy who has a 100 mile freeway commute at 75mph, otoh would have to change his oil monthly but with nearly constant ICE use.

I, too, challenge your "calculations"...what testing did you perform, on Prius, where did you have your oil viscosity and contaminants tested? What other time and distance intervals did you test to arrive at your "calculations"?

Unless you can produce those then you're simply making a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) and really don't have any grounds for the advice at all.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think maybe our roads conditions are different? Perhaps we have more dusty, sandy roads as a continent than Europe? who knows. Frankly, I'd like a sensor in the oil, umm, pump? I guess to measure how dirty the oil is and hence have it changed when YOU need it rather than when the book says so. A lot of oil is wasted since the engine's off most of the time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My house's programmable thermostat has a 'filter' timer for the number of hours the fan has been running.

Maybe Toyota should add one for the number of hours the ICE has been running, and people could use that information any way they wish...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a lesson

Efusco,

when you stop that kind of language maybe I will reveal my personal data. Mean time, you will know what I know about nothing.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: a lesson

Rmarchena said:
Efusco,

when you stop that kind of language maybe I will reveal my personal data. Mean time, you will know what I know about nothing.
Yea, sure!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oil Change

I had a feeling Rmarchena fired off "Oil Change at 75 Hours"!! He loves to get folks fired up.

·
Registered
610 Posts
RMarchena wrote: "...you will know what I know about nothing."

What a great laugh and so very true. This is a real expert on "nothing." The only real way to rid yourself of this "thing's" postings is to not respond at all. He obviously gets "jollies" from stimulating controversy. Reminds me of an old, fat unpleasant lady I knew who would argue with a stump just for the sake of arguement.

·
Registered
928 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
. . .Does your recommendation will apply if I redline my engine during those 75 hours?

troy
Hmm, a bit ambiguous there. Do you mean occasionally redline it a few times during those 75 hours, or keep it at redline for the whole 75 hours (or a large fraction thereof).

If the former, I'd say it's a non-event. The redline (5000 RPM) is so low compared to most modern cars. If the latter, I'd like to know how that could be possible. Where and how would you drive to do it? How much would you own in tickets at the end of the 75 hours? :p

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tochatihu,

I don't get your calculations of 113 mph. By my math a(rguably, at my age I use the "old" math) 75hrs at 65MPH equals 4875 miles, or just about the 5000 mile service interval. 113 MPH at 75 hrs equals 8475 miles. Now, were you trying to calculate some "off" engine tie. If so, then Rmar... is still screwed up because if I did drive 75 hours at 65 MPH, then the ICE is always on. I doubt if stopping for gas would significantly reduce this if I was on a LOOOONG road trip.

I must not be a deep enough thinker for Rmar...

(but I enjoy reading his stuff, kind of like watching a train wreck, I can't turn away)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts