Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you say again? If memory serves me correctly, before you editted your post, in this topic you said you were going to "pee yourself" :lol:

Here's my new ride!

Now I have some questions... the "ready" light... why's it always on? The car's ready... but ready for what? This confuses me...

The glovebox light appears to be on when the headlights are on, even with the glovebox closed (can see a little bit of light through the crack....) should I worry about this / will it run down the battery faster?

The CD player... there appears to be no "pause" or "play" button... it just plays... I can fast forward and reverse.. but what about pause or stop?

The bluetooth... how do I upload the phonebook from my phone? I select transfer filez, but it just sits there, claiming it's transfering, but nothing happens.

Re: FJ Cruiser - Toyota really missed the boat with the FJ Cruiser. Mechanically it was nice, but fit/finish/build quality were atrocious. A real disappointment in many many ways.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Nice car. Congratulations. Why the finger though?

1. The ready light means the car is ready to be driven. Unlike an ordinary car, where the engine is alway running, it isn't obvious that the car is "on" sometimes without it.

2. The light in the glovebox is always on when the car is on. It seems silly but it won't drain your battery when the car is off so you don't need to worry about it.

3. I think the CD player works the same as in most cars but I'm not sure. If the source is selected, it plays. At least I think that's how it and they work.

4. I don't know about the Bluetooth. Different phones from different carriers work differently. My phone from Verizon doesn't allow downloading of the address book at all.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
redwein said:
Nice car. Congratulations. Why the finger though?
Heck.. why not! :lol:

1. The ready light means the car is ready to be driven. Unlike an ordinary car, where the engine is alway running, it isn't obvious that the car is "on" sometimes without it.
Okay.. point taken... makes sense!

2. The light in the glovebox is always on when the car is on. It seems silly but it won't drain your battery when the car is off so you don't need to worry about it.
Hmmm..... seems bizarre to me! Only just got home from the dealer but it's something that immediately caught my eye

3. I think the CD player works the same as in most cars but I'm not sure. If the source is selected, it plays. At least I think that's how it and they work.
Most CD players you can pause or at least stop the disc... I guess I'll get used to this.. I suppose I need to get the factory XM radio thingy and transfer my subscription... where's the best place to pick one up? I assume it's an easy (ish) self install?

4. I don't know about the Bluetooth. Different phones from different carriers work differently. My phone from Verizon doesn't allow downloading of the address book at all.
Ya... my Garmin GPS just grabbed the phonebook on it's own... I guess I 'll have to spend some quality time in my driveway figuring this one out.

Car drives wonderfully.. lots of power... thinking about making a "You've just been passed by a Prius" sticker for it... that would make me laugh.

Thanks to all the info over the years from reading this site, I knew more about the car than the entire sales staff of the dealership combined. They swore up and down the smartkey system was only available on a lexus. Then they had to go out to my prius (ready for me to take delivery) and try it for themselves.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
redwein said:
Why the finger though?

:lol: A leopard can buy a new car, but he can't change his spots! :lol:

I guess we can't call you a Troll any more Fish!

·
Registered
74 Posts
On a side note, nice house behind the car.....

On the CD player, that bugs the hell out me, too0. I have noticed, however, that if you change MODES on the steering wheel, it does pause it.

The other thing this stereo needs is a mute button. Gotta actually turn the volume down, and that's not quick when it's a button controller on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Wow Fish... I hate to disappoint you, but your memory IS failing....

(warning link content not safe for work, and may be considered offensive)

What I edited out of that post was this image

which, while posted in fun...was deemed inappropriate material for the board.

Congrats on your shiny black gas-saver. Was it the sparkly finish or $4.00/gallon that won you over?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats on your new toy:)

Did you keep your truck to tow stuff!
Have you started to play the mpg game yet?..... Ever watch Star trek?(resistance is FUTILE) LOL
My wife just got a new Prius but we kept our Jeeps.
It's a really cool car isnt it?
I filled my 1980 Z28 last summer it took 16 gallons and killed a 50 dollar bill (ouch) It's nice to stick that finger at the gas station huh?:)
Enjoy!

Regards,Ed

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what won us over was test driving the prius back to back with the Honda Civic Hybrid... Prius was better hands down... plus $4K tax credit was a pretty big incentive..

1st time we went prius shopping was when they were brand new - 1st gen (some time around Y2K ish give or take a year) .... dealers were unbelievably rude.. had none to show us, no information on them, no brochures... nothing... basically the car was vaporware... Dealer told us to go find a place that rented them, and to rent one if we wanted a "test drive".. so screw it... we bought the Durango for a song... next time we tried to buy a Prius.. (2nd gen) - pretty much same story.... (this was this time last year) none to test drive spare a heavily used 1st gen we found on a lot... same story... no info... want a test drive? Go find a place that rents one... So again.. screw them guys... Bought the FJ Cruiser...

This time not much different, EXCEPT... called most dealers... similar story along the lines of "oh... ha ha ha... you can't just buy one of those" etc... "none to test" etc etc... so called around some more.. found that the local honda dealer had civic's and accords in stock to test drive... went down for a drive... then drove down the street, pulled into a toyota dealer (smaller one) we hadnt visited yet... low and behold they had one (new) sitting there, ready to test and ready for purchase... seems as though our experience must finally be getting back to toyota cuz this dealer sys in his toyota dealer agreement he needs to keep one of each vehicle available for test drives etc.... so we drove it and bought it...

Some things still havent changed... though they have brochures, they know little to nothing about the car and how it works...

Looking forward to going by the one dealer near my house who told me flat out "you can't buy a prius, and if you can, go buy it cuz it's impossible and you're lying if you can find one and I'm the only guy who can get you one and it'll be 6 months" :rolleyes ... what an ******* ...

I tell ya.. they dont make it easy to buy this car... they NEED to talk to their dealers and whack them upside their heads...

Oh... did I mention $4G's in tax/cash back? That helped too....

- end story -

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh yeh...

I bought mine in June of 2005 and it's been awesome.I didnt get a huge credit though.My wife got hers last September and we got a huge check from the fed $3150 wow! I lucked out and got a black one too.My wifes is a charcol metallic which is really nice too!I had a similar problem that everytime I went to the dealer ship they would have sold the car before I coukld get there unless I gave a 500 dollar deposit and screw that.Finally the sales manager felt bad after this happened 3 times!!! and gave me the trade in on my car that was at least 1500 more than anyone else would give.And mine is a base model which I'm perfectly happy with.I used to be into Saabs and the big e-board is saab net and it's full of mechanical problem posts.This board so far the posts are minor so the cars seem to hold up quite well.I havent dared to tow with my Prius yet but I did get the trailer hitch.Since gas has gone crazy I got rid of my big inboard outboard boat and I'm going smaller and lighter.Having the prius helps fuel the other toys.I drive a motorcycle for fun to be outdoors.BUT its sad to get better gas milage on a car:)

Take care its good to see your back...

Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well Fish, the finger really offends me, and I don't understand why an adult would stoop to such a juvenile level.

Congratulations on the purchase of your Prius. I hope you find many years of pleasure from driving yours.

You know, it's too bad the Toyota dealers in your area are not enthusiastic in selling highly technical, gas conserving vehicles. You may not want to take your car to any of them for service.

Yeah, I used to change my own oil and oil filters. I've become older and I'm no longer interested in wrenching. However, my local Toyota dealer will provide a courtesy car to drop me at my favorite Hooters for lunch.

Stan

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Around 2005, one could get a Prius, but might take a bit of work, especially in some areas. Just had to know how to shop and be willing to do some travelling.

The globebox light is LED. Won't take much power and should last the life of the car, unlike the bulbs in the tail/corner lights that are small, extra bright, short lived lamps.

You can use the audio POWER button to 'pause'. Holding the MODE button on the steering wheel for two seconds will achieve the same results.

They changed the way BT (and NAV) operates for the 2006-2007 model years, so I can't give a whole lot of experience there.
I did learn though that the Treo 650 will upload contacts to the Prius, even with Verizon as the carrier. I had a brief use of Treo intended for my job, until I discovered the ringer/speakerphone speaker didn't work, so they have to get me a replacement. Could be that Verizon had crippled the BT function that allowed contact transfers, even on a Treo, but relaxed that restriction when they got flack for it. Besides, their subdued reason about charging for ringtone/picture transfers didn't wash when there were other non BT ways to do that stuff.
Now that I know Verizon doesn't have restrictions, I still probably wouldn't go verizon on my own, since it doesn't operate with SIMs. You have to go to a verizon dealer to make phone changes. With T-Mobile, I can use almost any phone I want, just swap the SIM.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts