Toyota Prius Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hyp, the first time I ever saw a remote start it was on a Ford. I don't know if it was an after market thing, but it was well before GM. As for the Prius, why would you ever want a remote start. The car warms quickly and if that doesn't float your boat, get an EBH (engine block heater). The northern folks seem to swear by them.

·
Registered
619 Posts
bit of a drag.... remote start is great for extreme climates... members need to understand that it's not used to "warm up the engine", but rather to warm up the passenger compartment and defog/ice the windows (in a cold climate) or "pre-cool" your car in a hot climate.

I was extremely pleased with the remote start on my ford, and a close friend has it on his honda civic (non-hybrid) - he lives in a ski resort and swears by it... he can warm up his car by clicking on the remote from his kitchen without having to sit in is and wait for it to get toasty inside.

·
Registered
922 Posts
As I stated before, we've had remote start on several of our recent cars (minus the Prius) for just the reason stated. Defrosting windows, especially with ice, can take several minutes outside in bitter cold. It's for this issue, not passenger comfort, that I welcome a remote start. Interesting that the new Camry Hybrid has the option.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
hyperion said:
Just goes to show, "anything can be done for a price." (Does the Camry hybrid have "smart key?)
hyperion, Yes the SKS or the "smart key" standard in CH. The re-designed HH also has the SKS adopted. Now the previously Prius only SKS feature available in all Toyota and Lexus Hybrids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, New here. I got the opposite problem, itr is hotter than heck in Arizona. Does the remote start available from the dealer ($623.00) allow turning on the A/C?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's 2015 already. Has anyone found a solution for a remote starter for the 2005 Prius? There's enough tech advancement that I am really surprised that no one has designed the system that can collect all of the cash that early Prius drivers are willing to pay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not Prius but Chevy volt but hopefully when i get my Prius it can

I'm not up on the precise inner workings of the Smart Key system, but on our other car with remote start, the remote start runs the engine but requires the key to be put in the ignition and turned to the Run position before the brakes are pressed to allow the car to be shifted from Park. If you step on the brake before inserting the key, the engine is killed.

Taking this to the Prius Smart Key system, I would assume that the Remote Start authenticates and starts the engine, but the immobilizer will kick in if the transmission is attempted to shift without the Smart Key fob present.
Currently I have a Chevy volt but it was a bit of a disappointment but anyway I am looking to get a Prius, but the point I wanted to make about remote start. First let me say its awesome, second it only turns on accessory mode so you can't start the car and go anywhere. You actually need to have the key to go.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts