Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all; long time lurker. We bought our red 2006 Prius three weeks ago and are loving it. We picked up the new 2007 Prius accessory brochure, and featured prominently in the brochure is this: "VIP Security - RS3200 Plus System. Start your vehicle from 75 feet away. Preset your radio, air conditioner and heat controls. Have your car ready to go."

We've been looking for a remote start solution since we got the Prius; cold Michigan winters. It's my understanding that previously the RS3200 remote start was not compatible with the Prius, but this brochure is an official Toyota brochure specifically for the Prius.

So my question is, has anybody heard of this, and any word on whether this is compatible with the 2006 Prius? I'm hoping it's not a 2007-only option...

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
If one can remote control the accessories, that would be cool! Considering that practically everything in the car is networked, that does make sense.

I would be concerned however about the vunerablility of the immobilizer if such a device could actually start the car. Even if the remote start acted as the fob and had to authenticate itself in order to READY the vehicle, what protects the remote start from falsely authenticating the car to READY? That's like the equivalent of hiding a disabled fob in the car, ready for a thief to use if found and enabled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanMan32 said:
I would be concerned however about the vunerablility of the immobilizer if such a device could actually start the car. Even if the remote start acted as the fob and had to authenticate itself in order to READY the vehicle, what protects the remote start from falsely authenticating the car to READY? That's like the equivalent of hiding a disabled fob in the car, ready for a thief to use if found and enabled.
I'm not up on the precise inner workings of the Smart Key system, but on our other car with remote start, the remote start runs the engine but requires the key to be put in the ignition and turned to the Run position before the brakes are pressed to allow the car to be shifted from Park. If you step on the brake before inserting the key, the engine is killed.

Taking this to the Prius Smart Key system, I would assume that the Remote Start authenticates and starts the engine, but the immobilizer will kick in if the transmission is attempted to shift without the Smart Key fob present.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Maybe there's a new mode. Between "IG-ON" and "Ready" that connects the HV battery, but doesn't allow the drivetrain to be engaged.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
ehurtley said:
Maybe there's a new mode. Between "IG-ON" and "Ready" that connects the HV battery, but doesn't allow the drivetrain to be engaged.
Then what's the point? OK, might be beneficial for AC for a short while, as long as the SOC doesn't give out, which in a superheated cabin would be about 5 minutes. For heat, that requires ICE, since the suplement electric heat doesn't seem to be very effective.

But the 'tranny shift' is really instructions to the HV ECU as to what direction to go, and to disengage/engage the parking pawl, so it could work as cshbell described. If that's the case, then the car would have to have compatable programming, so the remote start may not work on earlier model years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Official Toyota Remote Start now for Prius?

cshbell said:
"VIP Security - RS3200 Plus System. Start your vehicle from 75 feet away..."
That sounds good till your enemies make ignition bombs with a 100-foot range...

·
Registered
922 Posts
If it's compatible with a 2005 I'd buy a remote start tomorrow. Please keep us posted. (Little snowflake adorned my dashboard this morning.)

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Remote start on the prius just doesn't seem all that practical to me, at least as it would be implemented in the Prius. You would be better off with some sort of block heater. Folks have done that around here and have reported good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
DanMan32 said:
If one can remote control the accessories, that would be cool! Considering that practically everything in the car is networked, that does make sense.

Hello DanMan32,

I was away from this forum since June ! The CH or the Camry Hybrids has this option feature available. You can start the system from 80 feets away and you can enjoy the Heat or Cold when you decide to enter the vehicle. However if you do not have the HKS Fob with you the doors are locked and then the system shuts off ! So no concerns about the vehicle beeing stolen. Anyway it is good feelings to be back to the awsome forum, PriusOnline !

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
For a Prius, if workable, a remote car starter might actually be an ok feature as it wouldn't be a case of the ICE idling for minutes to warm up as in a conventional vehicle. Warming up a conventional vehicle for more than 30 seconds, with the exceptions of very cold weather (10ºF or colder) or if a diesel, is not necessary. Driving the vehicle slowly to get lubricants flowing is the ideal warmup procedure. Remote starters encourage unnecessary idling which causes respiratory illness, wastes fuel, contributes to climate change and damages engine components.

·
Registered
261 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
I was away from this forum since June ! The CH or the Camry Hybrids has this option feature available. You can start the system from 80 feets away and you can enjoy the Heat or Cold when you decide to enter the vehicle. However if you do not have the HKS Fob with you the doors are locked and then the system shuts off ! So no concerns about the vehicle beeing stolen. Anyway it is good feelings to be back to the awsome forum, PriusOnline !
welcome back! I just bought a camry hybrid, and my dealer claimed that the remote start was only for the non-hybrid camrys, even though toyota.com indicated otherwise. Is it a dealer-added accessory, or come from the factory as an option (or both)? what does your shop charge to install it?

I would add it in a second to our hyCam and to the Prius. My wife and I both park our cars outside our office (MN) all day, and it would be great (was great with prior cars) to again be able to start the car 5 minutes early from inside on those brutal days, to get a head start on heat, defrosting, and heating up the seat.

rpm

·
Registered
992 Posts
I see this as "adding more toys" for a Prius in my list. If its possible--why not? ;) The Prius doesn't really need to be "warmed up"--the heater kicks in pretty quick, as well as the AC.. it would just be a neat function to have because "you can."

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Phish Phood said:
The Prius doesn't really need to be "warmed up"--the heater kicks in pretty quick, as well as the AC.. it would just be a neat function to have because "you can."
From LA to MN you tell us we don't need this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I would argue that we stoic Minnesotans should be tough enough to risk hypothermia the first five miles of our commute, or we shouldn't live here. Save the gas and buy a sweater. Now heated seats would be a dream come true.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Haha .. sorry Hep! I've only had my car in the snow once.. and sadly enough.. I loved the cold weather :( (Is that so wrong?). I think that day I went to the car in a t-shirt and jeans.. I seemingly adapt to odd weather quite easily.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Phish Phood said:
Haha .. sorry Hep! I've only had my car in the snow once.. and sadly enough.. I loved the cold weather :( (Is that so wrong?). I think that day I went to the car in a t-shirt and jeans.. I seemingly adapt to odd weather quite easily.
Come for a visit in January. rpm and I will show you around, take you ice fishing, and you can see what Garrison Keilor is talking about. :wink:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hep said:
Phish Phood said:
Come for a visit in January. rpm and I will show you around, take you ice fishing, and you can see what Garrison Keilor is talking about. :wink:
And don't forget yer tee shirt and jeans! ;) Maybe bring an extra tee shirt...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Official Toyota Remote Start for Prius? UPDATED (Answer:

Darn it. I spoke to our salesman about the remote start today, and here's what he said:
Our salesman said:
According to the parts center in California, that is a mis-print in the 2007 brochure. The remote start is not available on the Prius; the brochure feature is supposed to be for the VIP security system, not the remote start.
*sigh* Back to the cold Michigan winter...

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
And all you get extra in hardware for the VIP security is the glass breakage sensor. The rest is already there, laying dormant waiting to be activated if you didn't purchase the right package.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Re: Official Toyota Remote Start for Prius? UPDATED (Answer:

cshbell said:
Darn it. I spoke to our salesman about the remote start today, and here's what he said:
Our salesman said:
According to the parts center in California, that is a mis-print in the 2007 brochure. The remote start is not available on the Prius; the brochure feature is supposed to be for the VIP security system, not the remote start.
*sigh* Back to the cold Michigan winter...
:cry: :cry: :cry: Oh well, it was nice to dream.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Doing a search for Prius Remote Start, hoping to find a link to an import OEM accessory, I came across a JD Powers article stating that the remote start was supposed to be an option in the 2006 MY.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/toyota/prius/2006

Maybe it was one of those things that never made it here, just as many of the AV features never made it to the 2004 MY.

EDIT: Read more carefully. They were writing about SKS, but wrote down Smart Key Remote Start. Now that's misleading.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts