Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. First of all, I commend all of you for trying to conserve by driving Priuses. Now, I know this topic was raised in another thread, but I really want everyone understand what peak oil (world oil depletion) means and how serious it really is to all of us. No one here can even begin to understand how serious and frightening this topic is without reading and doing research about it. It is going to affect all of us in a big way. I am placing some links below to try and help enlighten everyone here about the seriousness of this subject. Send these links to everyone you know and try to educate them. Our society seems to be in complete denial. Here are the links below... please read them!!

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Introduction.html

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/BookExcerpts.html

http://www.energybulletin.net/1269.html

http://www.peakoil.net/

http://www.wolfatthedoor.org.uk/

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/w ... _peak.html

http://www.oilcrisis.com/magoon/

http://dieoff.org/page140.htm

http://dieoff.org/page171.htm

http://www.energybulletin.net/news.php?cat=1

https://secure.metafoundation.org/Merch ... e=DVDVideo

·
Registered
188 Posts
If we run out of oil - then we'll figure another way to survive - we always have and always will.

Why do you think we do not touch our own oil for the most part? So when everyone else runs out, we will still have at least a few months left in reserve :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I trust you didn't read all of the info in the links. I guess that's the typical American attitude.. until it starts to affect them personally. :roll:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Actually no, I didn't read it. I just know that people are resiliant. If we have to figure out a way to survive without oil - we will. Even if it means we have to live like cavemen again. Have a little faith brother (or sister)!

·
Registered
215 Posts
After making yourself look like a pretentious ass AND insulting a nation with over 300 MILLION PEOPLE, I can't help but notice that the author of the string edited his rude little remark FOUR TIMES. Makes you wonder what he said the first time around...

but then again...

Does anyone care?

You know, I'm all for figuring out ways to solve energy crises and either renewing our current resources or discovering new avenues, but I'm not thrilled with the approach of this individual and his/her (strange that one so rude can not even state their gender) "come on guys, this is serious, read it... serious... SERIOUS... I SAID SERIOUS" attitude and then expect us to listen when it slams our entire nation (yes I relaize there are several others represented)

All that kenlacy SAID, is in essence put down your damn sandwich board. The world IS NOT going to end tomorrow if we run out of oil. He was throwing in a BIT of optimism in a topic that isn't light.

I however am going to say something else... in essence...

A) you're being an ass
and
B) stop making a scene

In case some phrasing I have used has thrown you (I may just be a "typical American" and insensitive re: the use of slang with a foreigner) come on down to Long Beach, California and my U.S. size 12 can redirect the point to an orrifice other than your ears.

Gonna talk sh*t about my 300 million brothers and sisters? Better expect a fight.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
EDIT:

Hi, Bradca:

I can sympathize with your sentiment, I really can. But I thought that the original poster, as coarse and unrefined as he/she may have been, did make some valid points.

So, please undestand that the following is just my opinion, unfortunately somewhat in support of what the original pster has said. We must remember that some of our brothers and sisters may not be as well-spoken as others, and in fact may be a bit crass in their ways.

Of course, we should not panic. We will need to keep our heads level on this, or we won't be of any use to anybody. And of course, I think this is far too important of an issue for us to discount it just because an abrasive individual may have come here with potentially firebrand or panic-causing words.

And I wouldn't be suspicious of edits and re-edits. I often have to re-edit my own posts several times to correct my spelling mistakes, and embarrassing foot-in-mouth grammar and the occasional whopper "oh my God, was I having an idiot moment?" realizations. :)

His/her intent was no doubt to raise awareness of this issue. After all, he didn't tell us what to think; he simply pointed us to a wealth of information. Some of it will be good, some of it will not be so good.

But he pointed us toward it. As they say on Fox News, "we report, you decide."

/END EDIT

kenlacy said:
If we run out of oil...
Ken, it's good to have faith in human nature and ingenuity. I commend and encourage this. Without hope and faith, our goose is already cooked. And yes, I mean faith in ourselves, and faith in God. Because we're gonna need all the help we can get, ladies and gentlemen!

I sure would feel better if we weren't all glued to "American Idol" or "Fear Factor." I would feel better if Jay Leno weren't able to find so many uninformed, stupid people for his "Jay-Walking" segments. I would feel a hell of a lot better if today's musicians didn't spell "boy" as "boi".

The entire human race is losing valuable time by not educating itself as much as possible and by not working on this problem en masse.

Ken, by saying "if" as I have highlighted in the quote above, it shows you may be in denial yourself, or that you simply may not have realized the physics of it all. The earth's supplies (of anything and everything) may indeed be vast, but they are physically limited.

As I posted in a different thread, we are almost definitely using oil faster than Mother Earth can make it. Assuming that Mother Earth still can. A, B, C, 1, 2, 3...even a little kid knows when you take something away faster than it is replenished, eventually, it's all gone.

So I urge you to consider changing your thinking from "if" to "when", because as I have said, and as the original poster of this thread says, we will eventually run out. It may be in our lifetimes, or our children's lifetimes, or our grandchildren's lifetimes. And I fear that if all we've taught them is how to play X-Box games, watch un-reality shows, snowboard, and eat junk food, then we are making a major misstep in our responsibilities to the next generation.

I fear that we will leave them in deep trouble, with little or no ability to make and transport food or medicine to the people who need it. It's possible that even making medical and food-related plastics and basic sanitary products will be extremely difficult and maybe even prohibitively expensive.

We have watered down our education system and our justice system. Crimes of theft, violence against critical members of society (the people who will teach, feed, and doctor the population), and destruction of infrastructure aren't seen as crimes any longer. People get off so easily and go out and repeat their destruction and mayhem.

We have weakened the religious institutions that people used to turn to in times of need and trouble. We have even de-valued God and human life itself. I'm convinced that we will need all of these things again one day. They are the binds that tie and link us to each other, to the planet, and even to God.

Consider this:

Education will give us survival skills
Religion will help us with our life-purposes and will make it possible to weather onward when times get especially difficult.
Justice will enforce order and thereby enable it all to happen.

Take away or weaken any of these, and our hopes will dim drastically.

As I have said in the other thread, this is a very very HEAVY subject. If you decide to take nvdrifter's advice and start researching this subject via his/her links, I highly recommend that you take it carefully.

Go easy on yourself. Be realistic, and don't give yourself heart problems or anxiety attacks. I will admit that I had insomnia for more than two days when I first learned about "peak oil."

I want you all to know that I have already been through all of the feelings and all of the fear you will realize if you should decide to proceed. Whatever you do, please don't feel all alone in this. I assure you, you're not.

·
Registered
215 Posts
BIF said:
EDIT:

Hi, Bradca:

I can sympathize with your sentiment, I really can. But I thought that the original poster, as coarse and unrefined as he/she may have been, did make some valid points.

So, please undestand that the following is just my opinion, unfortunately somewhat in support of what the original pster has said. We must remember that some of our brothers and sisters may not be as well-spoken as others, and in fact may be a bit crass in their ways.

Of course, we should not panic. We will need to keep our heads level on this, or we won't be of any use to anybody. And of course, I think this is far too important of an issue for us to discount it just because an abrasive individual may have come here with potentially firebrand or panic-causing words.

And I wouldn't be suspicious of edits and re-edits. I often have to re-edit my own posts several times to correct my spelling mistakes, and embarrassing foot-in-mouth grammar and the occasional whopper "oh my God, was I having an idiot moment?" realizations. :)

His/her intent was no doubt to raise awareness of this issue. After all, he didn't tell us what to think; he simply pointed us to a wealth of information. Some of it will be good, some of it will not be so good.

But he pointed us toward it. As they say on Fox News, "we report, you decide."

/END EDIT
Hey BIF:
In reply to your very eloquently made point, I at no point am denying what the links show. I entirely understand peak oil and the point being made in the original post. I also just heard that crude oil reached a record high of $50/barrel. (I also remember that it was about the time Gulf War 2 started that people were flipping because it was almost at-barely over $40/barrel)
This topic, while unsettling didn't have me freaking out and cause the snap directed at the original poster. That was caused by an incredibly tacky, uninformed, generalized statement that was made by a very tacky, uninformed and hateful person.
The intent of kenlacy's reply is invalid. kenlacy could make a brand new post talking crap about my late father and saying I get it on with primates every wednesday night. I'd be pissed at him, but should anyone ever say something against him JUST FOR BEING AN AMERICAN, oh BIF my friend, it just took a turn you don't want to see...
It's bad enough that in the wake of Gulf War 2, regardless of the (mis?)informed reasons for initiating the attack, many of the other G8 nations stood to the side and watched our people get slaughtered in ambushes and false-surrenders.
It's bad enough that our current president has backed us out of treaties ranging in issues from pollution and accountability for said pollution all the way through to nuclear test bans, even though I get the feeling 50.01%+ of America didn't agree with those actions.
It's bad enough that in a lot of ways, Bush just pisses the rest of the world off.

If others throughout the world want to have an opinion about the actions of our LEADER that's fine, because I sure as hell don't agree with a lot of the choices Chirac and Schroeder have made. I don't agree with a lot of what Bush has done myself...
However, when you take those impressions, feelings, emotions and then cast them on an entire people... race, nationality, gender, etc it can easily go from being an impression or feeling to becoming hatred, devaluation of one's humanity or loathing.
*Quick history refresher! Those things led to instances such as the Holocaust, slavery and genocide.*
Not saying this original poster is planning on wiping out America, but the seeds start somewhere...

In reply to my remarks about edits... I edit a lot of my stuff too... I'll see a STUPID spelling error or I typed the wrong word, or I wanted to add something... I edit...
Read that hateful one line remark... If he wanted to add, it was unnecessary; if he misspelled, it's unnecessary and uneducated; and if he typed the wrong word, imagine what it was the first time around.

I completely see where you're coming from BIF, and hope you see the same of me.
I will stand behind any one of my countrymen and defend them any time I can. Likewise, I won't sit on the sidelines while they're being belittled, attacked, etc.
It's just a part of my programming I guess...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ok, I clicked a few links. Looked at a few graphs (nice colors), and read some bold text. Here's my spin.

First off, if you're saying it *here* you're preaching to the choir. Head over to HummerOnline.com (i hope that it's not a sex site) and yell at those guys. I don't expect many of them to listen, but you never know.

Second, alternatives *are* being researched, even if somewhat slowly, so while there will undoubtedly be financial ruin for some short sighted industries, and probably a great deal of inconvenience for people in general, we will survive.

Lastly, as for mother earth not keeping up with oil consumption. I'm not big on geology, theology, or even basic math, but maybe, just maybe mother earth has a plan... America uses more oil than any other nation on the planet. Perhaps not so concidentally Americans are now the most obese population on the planet. Maybe mother earth plans to use all that extra fat to create oil for the next seismic era. :p

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bif - I said "If we" aiming it more towards those of us on the earth at the moment. I fully am aware that down the road oil supplies may expire. I say "may" because technology is always expanding, maybe they will figure a way to split the materials in oil and multiply it or clone it. Likely? Probably not, but I have a hard time thinking I can accurately predict the future. I would imagine what the scientists and engineers come up with in the next 50 years will be pretty impresive - as has the last 50 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bradca21,

It wasn't my intention to offend you or anyone else on this board. I am sorry if my use of the word typical offended you. Please understand. 'Typical' does not mean all. You people here are not typical Americans because you are trying to make a difference by driving hybrids. You care.

Complacency is the typical American attitude. There is no denying that. We are a bunch of spoiled brats. We don't want to be inconvenienced in any way. Cheap, plentiful energy is our God-given right as Americans, so many seem to say. I see it everyday. Not all Americans, but many. I have seen our government's attitude so many times before- don't fix the problem until after the fact. Better (much needed) airport security didn't happen until after 9/11. But once our government realizes that world oil production is starting to decline, it will be too late by then to find a viable replacement. World peak oil production is coming sooner rather than later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts