Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I was able to obtain one from Japan several months ago. There are instructions at http://www.priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=8&sid=701b72fc76ffc7748d755266fa594636

for installing the factory EV Button. It's really nice, as you can see from the photo on Ebay, the central car and EV glow a nice green when the headlights are on if you do the install as per Ricks instructions above.

Still, I don't know if I'd pay over $100USD for one, a simple $2 switch from Radio Shack has the same functionality. I paid ~$35 for mine and felt that was fair, but to each his own.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the pointer and also for getting the installation all figured out, Evan. Still seems like a big pain to wire up the OEM EV button when compared to the other solutions that are already worked out.

Louie

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
LouieNet said:
Thanks for the pointer and also for getting the installation all figured out, Evan. Still seems like a big pain to wire up the OEM EV button when compared to the other solutions that are already worked out.

Louie
It's not really. A couple wire taps to the dimmer for the light on the button. The usual ground wire and the one wire tapped into the HV ECU. The hardest part is running the wire from the passenger side to the driver's side and that isn't all that hard.

The CoastalETech cruise mod is definately the easiest way and hidden. I like the idea of the seperate button and the OEM appearance is important to me.

--evan

·
Registered
623 Posts
The button (as per Evan's installation) has the advantage of a quick press to engage it. But it has the disadvantahge that you have to drill holes in your dashboard, and is altogether more difficult to install.

The headlight version is the cheapest, but changes the functionality of your headlight flasher. (You can't flash your brights if the headlights are off, and engaging or disengaging EV Mode via the switch flashes your brights if your headlights are on.)

Costal Tech's switch on the cc stalk has no effect on the functionality of the cruise control, and is the easiest to install. (A beta-test version prevented cruise below 35 mph, but that problem was corrected.) But it has the disadvantage that you have to hold the stalk for 2 seconds (really seems like 3 to me) and since the cc stalk rotates with the wheel it's hard to reach if you are in a turn.

I have Costal's switch and love it. I'd have prefered Evan's solution if I was really handy with tools.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Daniel said:
The button (as per Evan's installation) has the advantage of a quick press to engage it. But it has the disadvantahge that you have to drill holes in your dashboard, and is altogether more difficult to install.

[snip]

I have Costal's switch and love it. I'd have prefered Evan's solution if I was really handy with tools.
There is no drilling required at all. You pull the black plug that is next to the dimmer control for dashboard installation.

Little 'handiness with tools' is needed beyond Coastal Dave's install. Aside from maybe a little soldering and finagling the wire all the way behind the dash to the button from the HV ECU.

If Coastal Dave's CC install is a 3 on a 1-10 scale for install difficulty I'd call the EV button a 5 or 6/10

1 - 7 of 7 Posts