Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On just two occasions I smelled Ozone coming from the A/C outlets for about a minute.
Has anyone had this?
Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
928 Posts
How old is your car?

Ozone would be an unusual thing to have coming from your A/C. It's usually only formed by electric sparking. If you're sure you're not smelling the musty odor of mold growing in your damp A/C compartment, then you might have some debris rubbing against the fan, causing the motor to run much slower than it expects to. All the HV motors in the Prius are brushless, so they don't make electric sparks. But maybe the A/C fan motor is a standard issue brush motor and yours is feeling abused.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Steve Goldenberg said:
On just two occasions I smelled Ozone coming from the A/C outlets for about a minute.
Has anyone had this?
Does anyone know what it is?
I too have that problem, the smell of mildew like. It does go away after a few minutes, but it's back again when I get back into the car after the car has been powered off and setting a while and I start it backup with A/C on. Took it to dealer, they sprayed something in the vents, told me not to use the A/C for an hour. Didn't help and I haven't been back to the dealer yet....so don't have an answer to the problem yet. Maybe someone out there will have the answer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The compressor motor is sealed inside the housing so it's much more likely to be a little mold or mildew. Make sure that the condensation drain hole is not plugged up. (And if you had yours rustproofed that's very likely to be the cause.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard: Where is the drain outlet?

If I can't find the drain I could just let the A/C run for a few minutes and see if it starts dripping.

·
Registered
736 Posts
ozone smell

I have had a musty smell from the a/c system on different cars. After trying Ozium spray and others to kill the mold or whatever is in there, I finally arrived at this solution: shortly before getting home, or wherever I may park the car for more than a short time, I turn off the a/c and run the fresh air ventilation only. Once home, I leave the windows down, since I park in a garage. I only turn the a/c off for the last half mile or so, but it seems to give it a chance to dry out. I also open the windows when I park in the garage after being in the rain, as that also causes a musty smell in my Prius. I do get condensation dripping from the a/c unit, so I don't believe that line is plugged.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Then get thee to a dealer, post haste. Ozone is not a sign of anything good.

Dripping is good, but the drain could still be partly blocked.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ozone is good. We need it. Don't fix it. Prius. Clean car. Saves gas Replenishes the ozone layer. Another plus! :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
whatshisname said:
Ozone is good. We need it. Don't fix it. Prius. Clean car. Saves gas Replenishes the ozone layer. Another plus! :wink:
actually, it depends on where the ozone is. If the ozone is low to the ground, it is actually considered bad for air quality (component of smog). It hurts to breathe it, can cause problems with plant photosynthesis, and can catalyze other poor air quality chemicals which lead to building deterioration.

For the US EPA brochure "Ozone: Good Up High, Bad Nearby": http://www.epa.gov/oar/oaqps/gooduphigh/

EPA's Automotive and Ozone fact sheet: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/04-ozone.pdf

and what the EPA has to say about the number of ozone generators that are being sold as "air cleaners": http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

as for the OP, ozone is not a normal smell reported in the Prius. "new car smell" i.e. the outgassing plastics, and occasionally a sulfur smell, may be reported, and a mold/mildew and sometimes rodent smell occasionally from the AC, but I've not heard ozone in quite a while. seek out a cooperative dealer while you are under warranty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mrv and others.....Ozone is ozone. If it were not, it would have another name. If ozone belongs "up there" then it'll find a way to get there. I'm just kidding and I was kidding from the start. :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
mrv said:
as for the OP, ozone is not a normal smell reported in the Prius. "new car smell" i.e. the outgassing plastics, and occasionally a sulfur smell, may be reported, and a mold/mildew and sometimes rodent smell occasionally from the AC
Gee, I never would have associated the urine-like smell I get from the AC when I first start up my 2-month old Prius as a normal "new car smell." I thought some drunk college student had peed on my hood :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts