Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only Prius owner who is not obsessed with gas mileage?
The technology was intrigueing, so I took a test drive. I was very impressed with the performance and the "toys" in a relatively inexpensive car, so I got rid of my old Lexus and bought " Sparky". I drive it like any other car, 5-15 mph over the speed limit. I set the climate control and forget it, never hold up traffic on the interstate, and hate to let people cut me off. Sparky will give 40mpg on regular versus 18 mpg on premium from the Lexus so I'm way ahead. The car performs very nicely, some of you guys should try driving it like a real car. DOD

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
dod said:
Am I the only Prius owner who is not obsessed with gas mileage? ...The car performs very nicely, some of you guys should try driving it like a real car. DOD
Perhaps. But, see, to me the Little Prius is NOT like a real car. It's so much more! That would be like buying a Blackberry and saying "use it like a cell phone." (I'm assuming blackberry has a cell phone feature) It's so much MORE! Yes, it drives and gets from here to there, but, IMO, it's more FUN. I could, and sometimes do, drive the Prius the way I did my Camry, but I'd miss out on stuff.

Oh, and for the record, I don't hold up traffic on the interstate, and I do hate it when people cut me off. That doesn't mean I don't let them pass me, though. The difference in the length of my commute when I did 10 miles over the speed limit and when I do less than 10 miles over is only about 4 minutes. I can live with that. In fact, I don't even notice it.

But, as they say, YMMV. Everyone buys Prius for a different reason, and gets something else out of it. Chocolate, vanilla, driftwood pearl, white, whatever. Drive safely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
dod, one thing i really agree with you on is set the auto temp control and fagettabout it!!. i do drive it like anyother car with just a few exceptions. i admit i keep a corner of my eye on the graph and sometimes will lift my foot a smidgeon just to get more electric power going. its still kinda nice to get up to 50+ mpg on the freeway. the other thing i find is that not consciously is that im better at getting good mileage. probably the car has trained ME(!) scary thought.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hyperion said:
DOD, I've been sort of saying this for a year here with little positive comment. It's much more comfortable to drive it as a normal car with the MFD off and the 44 MPG is not all that shabby. Of course I would appreciate a "normal" cars instrumentation.
I'm curious to understand what kind of positive comment you'd expect? Yes, we *all* know we can drive it just like any other car...the salesman told us so (for most of us, it was probably the only thing he got right :shock: )

But some of us want the car to be speical, and to have special requirements. We embrace the differences between the Prius and the Average-Joe-Mobile because it makes owning it that much more fun.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yah, what Melgish said!! 'zactly! :D

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Let's imagine going to the Jack Daniels website (I suspect there is one) and going to the chat page and posting that Jack is just another whiskey to mix with your coke, no different than the next rot-gut on the shelf. Why do those people make such a fuss about their favorite libation? They recognize more aspects of Jack than you, apparently, and enjoy discussing it with others of like mind. No shock on the Jack Daniels website is it?

Welcome to Prius online. Figure it out. :wink:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, said, Hep... my observations:

http://www.jackdaniels.com

They don't sell whiskey online, nor do they sell bar towels...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
melgish said:
...They don't sell whiskey online, nor do they sell bar towels...
Does PriusOnline sell those? I've looked in all the fora, and I don't see them!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
No... I checked for the Whiskey for obvious reasons.

As to the bar towel, I currently use a Guiness bar towel to cover the arm rest of my center console.

While this one : http://home.cfl.rr.com/njfiorello/images/bartowel.jpg is currently in the laundry, it does illustrate my idea.

I figure a J.D. towel would be a nice upgrade :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
melgish said:
...I figure a J.D. towel would be a nice upgrade :)
Oh. My console cover says "Sanny." I don't know anyone named Jack. But the Guinness family is related to my family by marriage. I suppose that's something they should be proud of. :wink:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You're admitting that you don't know Jack? :?: :shock: :!:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
melgish said:
You're admitting that you don't know Jack? :?: :shock: :!:
One of many I don't know. :)

A friend used to say "There's a reason my brother is named 'Dick.'" What could she have meant?? :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sanny What is a blackberry????

Maybe it's an age thing. People are always talking about devices I have never heard of. Understand that the best car i ever owned was a 1956 DeSoto ( 2 years old when I bought it ) with a big Chrysler Hemi engine. So beautiful I have a model of one on my computer desk. The Desoto died of cancer.
#What made my day was a guy in a V8 Chevy 4 door pickup giving Sparky the evil eye at a light. When the light changed, Sparky blew him away. Must be in my 3rd childhood. DOD

·
Registered
110 Posts
did ja eva notice how we start off on one topic and free associate to something WAY different. i dont have a towel over my center console but id do have seat covers which have a cloth cover over my console which is very comfy and a warm fuzzy

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
mrfredsporty said:
did ja eva notice how we start off on one topic and free associate to something WAY different....
Oh great. NEXT yer going to blame it on ME. :?

·
Registered
110 Posts
no, no, no, horrors no. its just that our spirit just leads on to other things. for instance now we are talking about drifting from topic to topic. kinda cool. it just shows that our posts have a life of their own. 8)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts