Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I got on a list for a 2005 Tideland Pearl #7. I just got the call that a 2004 Tideland Pearl #9 is on it's way to me.

I'm thrilled that: it's here, it's my color...it has all those options!

I'm not thrilled that: it's a 2004 (so late in the year) and that I'm paying a lot of money for featured like the navigation system (which nobody seems happy with) and the bluetooth (which I won't really use).

Should I take it, or stay on the list and take my chances?

I wish I knew what was coming in 2005.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's a tough one.

After 4 days with my tideland #9, I am getting tons of enjoyment and use out of my NAV system and bluetooth support. My only complaint is that I don't have 1 more option, and that would be the "reverse cam" that some Infinitis and possibly other brands come with. It's a little webcam-like camera that is built in above your rear license plate, and when you shift to reverse, your in dash NAV LCD switches to the image of what's behind you. There are even little lines overlayed on the image to help gauge distance and angle. Super cool.

I'm into the gadgets, so it's a non issue for me, I'd take the #9 now.

I use a SonyEricsson T610 phone. I have yet to read a manual (not bragging, just pointing out that it's super simple) and I have transfered my phone book to the car and set up 1 touch dialing for my main outgoing numbers. Phone stays in my pocket like my key. I can receive calls on my commute without fumbling for my phone. Love it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As I understand it, there is no difference between the 2004 and 2005 other than the 2005 will get a price hike. I would take the 2004.

Also, the fit and finish of the current run is magnificent, you can assume this for the next run, but who knows if they will try and cut cost on the next run.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will also say go for the 04

there shouldn't be a lot of changes for the 05

the navi could be very handy if you ever travel to unfamiliar places, it not only gives you directions but also provide database for restaurants, hotels, ATMs...

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can always add an aftermarket back up camera, there is a small possibility it could be input to your screen - otherwise you could mount another screen along your dash or they also have rear view mirrors with a small screen in them.

I have a Pioneer in Dash DVD/Nav system with the camera setup on my Suburban. It makes it a lot easier to see all the children playing behind you when your backing out of the driveway with that beast.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It doesn't hurt to *try* bargaining with them to reduce the price of the #9 options. After all you shouldn't have to pay for *their* mistake. Tell them to get the guy that ordered the #9 instead of the #7 to make up the difference :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take it. The 2004 #9 should not cost much more than the 2005 #7. And you get to save gas money this much sooner.

I would also take melgish's suggestion & try to get a lower price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A 2004 Package #9...eh?...it's gona cost you a big chunk of "do"....if you are going to spend a big chunk of "do" I think you should get what want you really wanted rather than had it handout to you..I would wait for a 2005... may be there is no change in external or internal...but with a lot of bugs stamped out in firmware and other issue....I would wait for a 2005...you ordered a 2005 you should get a 2005.. no less....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sassafrass, let us know what you decide. Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Kenlacy, thanks for the info on the reverse cam. That is such an awesome feature, I'm definitely going to look into it.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Zach said:
Sassafrass, let us know what you decide. Enquiring minds want to know! :D

Kenlacy, thanks for the info on the reverse cam. That is such an awesome feature, I'm definitely going to look into it.
If you decide to look into the original Toyota parts, and get the mod done for the 2004, do let us know! (The Japanese 2004 Prius does have a reverse camera, for use with the Integrated Parking Assist option. I don't know if the US Prius has the wiring harness for the camera, though...)

The 2001-2003 Prius can be fitted with a reverse camera - see http://www.coastaletech.com/viewtech.htm

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some say the camera can be integrated.. some say it can't ( or at least they don't see how it would hook up).. the software for it is their.. and if you were to plug it in.. it would recognize the camera and use it.. but you have to find where to plut it in

I already casted my vote on Priuschat.com... i say get the 9. I wanted a base model 1.. actualy.. i wanted less than 1.. but i got a 9.. and there is not one day i wish i didn't have it. I don't use bluetooth.. but i use everything else. Today i didn't use navigation.. and i didn't use it the day before.. but i know how to use the system so well, i don't have a problem with anything. I'm even driving better.. today i averaged 55mpg + which is bringing my low 40'smpg ( from speeding the frist 50 miles of the tank) up.. so i'm at mid 40's now.. i should be at 50 by the end of the week. but yeah.. back on topic. get the 9.. you will not regret it.. the safety.. the luxury... it will all be appreciated later on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats the car I am looking for

Hi sassafrass,

I am looking for the exact car you have been offered. A tideland Pearl 2004 package #9. Please e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 214 669 1669.

By the way where are you located? I am in dallas and have one booked in michigan and one in nashville.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Eph

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm in a very similar boat...got on waitlist(s) for a silver #7 as long ago as 1/04, with at least 5 months left to go...then found a silver #9 available at yet another dealer (from a post on this site, as a matter of fact). Will pick it up in 2 weeks.

I'd say go for the bird in hand. I'm going to take the 2004, take the $300 rebate from Toyota (for ordering before the MSRP increase last spring) and the $1500 tax deduction.

But I'm thinking about this: staying on one local waitlist, which will probably get me the car I really want (#7; I really don't care about the nav and the "upgraded" stereo) in early 2005. I could then sell the 2004 #9 (with luck, for what I paid for it), buy the 2005, and get another $1000 tax deduction in 2005, along with whatever bugfixes/improvements/resale value benefits come along with the newer model year. Kind of a hassle, and I'm not trying to turn a buck, but it might be worth it to get into a Prius now but still end up with exactly what I want for my money.

Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

Thanks for all the good feedback. I had decided to take the 2004 #9, but I just talked to the dealer and it turns out that the one coming in is Seaside not Tideland. This just isn't my car. So, I've decided to wait.

Some updates, though, the dealer said that 2005 start production August 14 and that they will arrive in the U.S. starting September 17.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dealer

Hey sassafrass, can you post you dealers tel number .

I would like to get my hands on the seaside pearl #9 as it was a close second to the tideland pearl.

Again where is this dealer located?

·
Registered
928 Posts
rpm said:
. . . I'm going to take the 2004, take the $300 rebate from Toyota (for ordering before the MSRP increase last spring) and the $1500 tax deduction.

But I'm thinking about this: staying on one local waitlist, which will probably get me the car I really want (#7; I really don't care about the nav and the "upgraded" stereo) in early 2005. I could then sell the 2004 #9 (with luck, for what I paid for it), buy the 2005, and get another $1000 tax deduction in 2005, along with whatever bugfixes/improvements/resale value benefits come along with the newer model year. . . .

Rob
Be careful and check the tax rules carefully, I believe you have to return the original tax deduction if you sell within 3 years under certain conditions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rob writes: "I could then sell the 2004 #9 (with luck, for what I paid for it), buy the 2005, and get another $1000 tax deduction in 2005...."

Rob, I read on the govt tax site that you can only get one deduction for a hybrid car. So pick your deduction. You do not get to take it two times-- even if you trade in one car and get another.

Best to you on your decision.

·
Registered
425 Posts
karenann said:
Rob writes: "I could then sell the 2004 #9 (with luck, for what I paid for it), buy the 2005, and get another $1000 tax deduction in 2005...."

Rob, I read on the govt tax site that you can only get one deduction for a hybrid car. So pick your deduction. You do not get to take it two times-- even if you trade in one car and get another.

Best to you on your decision.
And if he gets one in his name and the second in his wifes ??? Or is it 1 per household?

·
Registered
261 Posts
[quote="RSnyder
Be careful and check the tax rules carefully, I believe you have to return the original tax deduction if you sell within 3 years under certain conditions.[/quote]

I did look at publication 535...and it seems clear that the recapture within 3 years does not apply to a sale of the property, unless you know or should know that the property's use by the acquirer will result in disqualification (modified to not burn clean fuel, taken out of country, etc.)

Rob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts