Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

Been lurking for awhile. Early this year a friend of mine was selling his 2003 Prius, as he had just upgraded to a 2004. I was thinking about buying it, so I drove the '03 and loved it. Just out of curiosity, I checked out his 2004, and immediately said "Oh no, THAT'S the one I want!"

So since then I've been lurking around, doing some research, and saving up. Today was the first day I called around to dealerships and I thought I'd share my experience.

Chuck Patterson Toyota, Chico, CA: "We're only getting 2 Prii a month, and have 50-60 people on the waiting list, so some of them are gonna get the 2006." Okay, fine. I told them I wanted a black #9 and the dealer actually LAUGHED at me! But, they were only charging MSRP.

Lithia Toyota, Redding, CA: Very helpful and responsive. Called me back to let me know they had 2 BI's coming in, blue(seaside?) and red, and although they knew I was looking for the #9 or BC, they called me anyway just to check in. I think there were only 6 people on the waiting list and they charge MSRP, no deposit required until the vehicle is allocated. 530-223-2600.

Hobbie Auto Center, Oroville, CA: Helpful and friendly. They had two Prii coming in 2-3 weeks, I think they were #7's. I don't think they were spoken for at the time I talked to him and they charge MSRP, no deposit. 530-533-4626.

Yuba City Toyota, Yuba City, CA (530-673-5661): Actually had one on the lot that was not spoken for, a driftwood #6 (or #7, I can't remember). I went down there and took a test drive, and was very pleased. I put in an order for my black BC... and was told it would be about 3-6 months. They said that they are getting Prii shipped to order... which surprised me, because I was under the impression that Toyota just shipped whatever to whomever, and then the dealer called the customer when what they "ordered" happened to come in. But Yuba City said they had been getting what they asked for from Toyota. Maybe they were pulling my leg, but... whatever, as long as I get what I want, I don't care. :wink: I talked to someone else recently who bought a Prius at Yuba City Toyota, and she got hers in about 3 months. Oh, and they charge MSRP, no deposit.

Toyota Town, Stockton, CA (209-473-2513) Not much more needs to be said about these guys, they really are great. They are saying there is a 3 month wait, though many Prii are delivered within a month or so. Since I want a black one, which Toyota apparently makes fewer of, they said it would actually be closer to the 3 months' wait. They will put me on the list but require a $500 deposit to do so, I am waiting for a call back to get more details on this deposit (i.e. is it refundable if I end up buying my Prius elsewhere?)

So, looking forward to joining the illustrious ranks of the Prius owners with my stealthy black "Hybrid of Doom". :twisted:

Love,
Lupin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Lupin

I got my car from Toyota Town. I had given them a credit card, and they never charged it. Others have posted that they sent in a check, which was never cashed. So don't worry about the refundability of your deposit. I am sure if you you managed to get your car sooner from someone else, they would be glad to return your check or shred your credit card number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, spoke again with Toyota Town and if my Prius miraculously appears elsewhere, they will send my check back to me with no problem.

Love,
Lupin

·
Registered
455 Posts
Lupin, I am one of the many who bought at Toyota Town. And it was a very easy process. They told me 3 months, I got it in 3 weeks. Although red is the least popular, and it was just a few weeks before the '05s started rolling in. They never cashed my deposit check.
No last minute squeeze to get me to get the paint protection or any such crap. When my car came in, I was done in less than an hour I beleive, very simple, very straightforward. And I had to travel, as they are not the closest dealer to me, nor the second or third.

Spike

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lupin said:
Howdy folks,

Chuck Patterson Toyota, Chico, CA: "We're only getting 2 Prii a month, and have 50-60 people on the waiting list, so some of them are gonna get the 2006." Okay, fine. I told them I wanted a black #9 and the dealer actually LAUGHED at me! But, they were only charging MSRP.

Hobbie Auto Center, Oroville, CA: Helpful and friendly. They had two Prii coming in 2-3 weeks, I think they were #7's. I don't think they were spoken for at the time I talked to him and they charge MSRP, no deposit. 530-533-4626.

Yeah, I stay away from Chuck Patterson as much as possible. There are frequent news stories about them being fined by the State of California for their business practices. Unfortunately, they are also the closest Mazda dealer and, if I need a part for my Mazda in a hurry, I'm stuck.

We got my wife's Prius at Hobbie here in Oroville, four weeks ago. I just dropped it off today to have the mirror with the home link buttons installed. The Prius we bought didn't come with it, but it is a dealer installable accessory.

Where are you in Northern California?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Romad, I'm in Chico. I had hoped that my hometown dealer would be a good place to get a car, but sadly, I was wrong. I've talked to a couple of other people who say Patterson gave them the runaround.

It seems like a lot of people are travelling long distances to get their Prius. I will most likely be getting mine from Toyota Town in Stockton, and that's only a 2 hour drive so I count myself lucky.

Love,
Lupin

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lupin said:
Romad, I'm in Chico. I had hoped that my hometown dealer would be a good place to get a car, but sadly, I was wrong. I've talked to a couple of other people who say Patterson gave them the runaround.

It seems like a lot of people are travelling long distances to get their Prius. I will most likely be getting mine from Toyota Town in Stockton, and that's only a 2 hour drive so I count myself lucky.

Love,
Lupin
Ok. Have you talked to Jim Buteau at Hobbie? 1-800-533-4626. I strongly suggest that no matter where you buy the car, that you have it serviced at Hobbie here in Oroville.

Dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hanlee's in Davis, CA

I ordered one from Hanlee's Toyota in Davis in January and it arrived in June. They didn't get the color we wanted, but it was the right option package.

The big plus was that they honored the CostCo discount and sold it for substantially LESS than MSRP.

The downside was that they botched the $300 rebate paperwork which I am still trying to sort out.

Still, they were honest and treated us well. Their number is 530 753-3352. The CostCo buying program liason's name is Walt.

Good Luck.
The car is worth the wait,

·
Registered
133 Posts
Toyota Town

Call Asif at Toyota Town in Stockton. I flew up there, he picked me up at the airport and drove me back to the dealer. A while later I was driving home. These guys are squared away, no gimmicks, no hassles.

I initially mailed them a $500 check which they tore up upon delivery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts