Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was out driving the Prius this morning and she said in a period of about 3 minutes it went from two full bars, to one bar to just one bar blinking. I guess it is time to get gas. The car has gone 502 miles and it says it is getting 52.4 mpg -- but I don't really know if the dealer had it truly full - it showed full but who knows if it was.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes, very non linear. Just get used to it, and go by miles traveled, rather than number of pips. 500+ is really good! And probably really empty, too. I know to fill up at around 400 miles, on average, though I know I CAN go farther than that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's a double problem, because not only is the gauge non-linear, but the tank it's measuring is temperamental - it's difficult to fill consistently, and its capacity changes with the temperature. On the plus side, at least the number of pips never goes up. On our old Tercel, the gas gauge bounces around like a superball. We hardly noticed it until we got the Prius, because that's just what gas gauges did.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it was blinking one bar so the wife got upset and made me rush to the gas station -- this was our first time there in the car. It took 10.6 gallons. Did not have any of the fueling problems I have read about. The guy set the pump of fastest delivery and it filled till it clicked at about 10 gallons. I think put it in till it really did not want to take anymore. Wife now say that whenever it gets down to two bars she will know to get gas immediately. Guess there won't be anymore 500 mile tanks with that approach.

·
Registered
669 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
hyperion said:
It is a very strange phenomenon, but when people buy a Prius, some seem to forget how to purchase gas!
:lol:!
Yes. There may need to be a support group for this!

That said, I find the behavior of my gauge to be very predictable. Yes, it is nonlinear, but the consensus is that that's true for ALL gas gauges but the digitized, quantized nature of the prius guage display makes it more obvious. I get about 400 miles give or take before I get down to the last pip and I buy gas as soon as is convenient when I hit the last pip. I always "burp" once when I fill and accept the second shut off, and I always get 8.5-9 gallons for the fill.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Astrowoman said:
. I always "burp" once when I fill ...
It's times like this when I miss Sanny the most! :wink:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hep said:
Astrowoman said:
It embarasses the heck out of my SO... OTOH, he burps multiple times after he's filled. :lol: :oops: :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Hep said:
Astrowoman said:
It embarasses the heck out of my SO... OTOH, he burps multiple times after he's filled. :lol: :oops: :shock: :lol:
In many cultures, that's a polite way to praise the cook for a good meal. :) (I miss you too, Hep dear!)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sanny said:
Astrowoman said:
Hep said:
Astrowoman said:
In many cultures, that's a polite way to praise the cook for a good meal. :) (I miss you too, Hep dear!)
I do so admire your willingness to go for the obvious (and the subtle) straight lines. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts