Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! Silver Prius '06 ~ 5.5K miles. About a month ago I noticed a funny "chirping" noise when then brake pedal is depressed. Have not noticed this noise at all while driving. This morning while the car was not moving I shifted to D then to N then to R and back to Park. The noise is intermittenly present in any "gear" and "park" only when the brake pedal is depressed. Over the course of almost 4 minutes, the "chirping" sound occures maybe 15 to 20 times. All the other normal "noises" discribed in the forum about brake noise I can hear. This noise is much much louder than any of those. Have not contacted dealer yet but I recorded the series of noises on my Ipod so that I can have the dealer listen if it didn't occur while there. It doesn't happen everytime but seems to be happening more frequently recently! Any comments appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Phish Phood said:
DanMan32 said:
Can you post the sound here?
These are your favorite posts, aren't they Dan?
Yup. I love detective work. It's a shame my former dealer wants to be a jerk with me. They really lose out on a great asset as a client.

They insulted me when I brought up the problem with the upper glovebox lid. They never saw the problem. When I brought up to them that there were a few reports on the web, the writer said you can come up with anything on the web. And it was the parts department that encouraged me to try and bring it up to service under extended warranty.

·
Registered
991 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Phish Phood said:
DanMan32 said:
Yup. I love detective work. It's a shame my former dealer wants to be a jerk with me. They really lose out on a great asset as a client.

They insulted me when I brought up the problem with the upper glovebox lid. They never saw the problem. When I brought up to them that there were a few reports on the web, the writer said you can come up with anything on the web. And it was the parts department that encouraged me to try and bring it up to service under extended warranty.
My lower one doesnt close properly.. and its brand spanking new.. maybe I should try and see if they'll do any with mine.. If you push it up a little it goes into place as it should be.. but I think (?) when they looked at the air cabin filter it didn't go back right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,I tried to post the audio file but can't get it in a "wma" or "rm" file required by whats allowed on the group. I have a Mac! Any thoughts?
Best regards,
Dan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Phish Phood said:
DanMan32 said:
[quote="Phish Phood":1q4zylmq]
DanMan32 said:

My lower one doesnt close properly.. and its brand spanking new.. maybe I should try and see if they'll do any with mine.. If you push it up a little it goes into place as it should be.. but I think (?) when they looked at the air cabin filter it didn't go back right?[/quote:1q4zylmq]

If it is brand new, (within 36K), the dealer should take care of it.

I have no problem with the dealer not being able to cover it under warranty, I just don't like the way he went about telling me. Instead, he could have gotten a copy of the contract and shown me that body/trim parts are not covered, and as for not hearing about it, use a tone/words indicating that it is new and useful information for him, and not that I was crazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar sound whhen visiting Lake Tahoe. I brought the car to the Toyota dealer in Lake Tahoe and they said it was covered by some service update from Toyota. It is a normal sound that occurs when the car is cold.
It should go away after 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know EXACTLY the noise you are talking about. I posted the same question about 3 weeks back on greenhybrid.com - I took the car to the dealership and they told me that it was completely normal, and that every new '06 Prius makes this noise. It has to do with the battery regening when you press the brake (and sometimes, when you accelerate). Please post here if you find otherwise...

http://www.flexbux.com

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm now curious of this chirping sound.. I have a 2006 Prius I bought in February.. 25k miles later.. I have no clue! Even this morning it was 55F out.. and I've had the car in snow weather.. so now idea.. anyone in S. CA have this issue.. I wann hear!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Regen/acceleraton might have a very high pitched whistle that slides in pitch. If that's it, its the the transistors in the inverter oscillating, possibly the coils in the motors. Some of us call that singing. Others say it almost sounds like a jet landing. Shouldn't be terribly loud. Probably to hear it, you'd need the radio and AC to be off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chirpong sound

Well, to make a long story short, The "chirping" sound I have is independent of Temperature. It happened(s) when it was 90 outside and still happens when its 30 outside. I had the car into the dealer and they could not figure it out. They said they "called" California and they had never hear of this particular sound. I had emailed the audio file to the dealer who perhaps fowarded it to Calf.....anyway, the dealer is going to guess on one of twp possible things, both of the "things" were going to cost abot $2000 each! All under warrenty of course. If its not the brake booster (dealer 1st choice) it was something near it but they didn't really know. I will be taking the car in next week and they will supply a loaner car for me until they get it fixed. I'll let the group know further details as I know them!
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, got my car back from the dealer after 8 days. They came to the conclusion that the noise is "normal" and that other Prius's make the noise and they heard it. All I asked was to hear ONE other prius make the same noise that mind does....they could not produce one car that could! To make matters worse, I found that when I got home (picked up the car at night), the antenna was busted off. I'll be back at the dealer tonight and after I recieve a typed up report, I'll be talking to the district manager of Toyota! Will keep all posted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake Pedal Makes Noise When Pressed

I have a 2006 Prius (4 months old) bought in August. Have about 7500 miles on it, mostly highway. I never heard this noise (even when cold) until it was parked at top of Snowshow Mountain (4500 feet) and it was medium cold (right at freezing). The 'chirp' noise sounds a lot like the early 'remote lock' annunciations for cars. Pretty loud too.
It continued until we got down the mountain and things warmed up a bit.
Now that we are in upper state NY I expect this chirp will come back when it starts getting cold.
The Toyota dealer here had never heard of this (yet).
If it starts up again I will try and post an MP3 file of the sound.
Gene

·
Registered
1 Posts
Post subject: Brake Pedal Makes Noise When Pressed

I have a 2004 with 33K and I started getting the same "funny chirping" sound when the brake pedal is depressed. I brought it in to the dealership a few days ago and had them check it out. They told me it's the sound of the ABS being engaged and that there is nothing wrong. They said that if I don't press on the brake as hard I will not hear the sound. That does seem to be the case, but I do believe that something has changed because I have not all of a sudden started pressing the brake pedal any harder. I live in Scottsdale so I can tell you it has nothing to do with the temperature.

Rich

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.