Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a set of winter tires and steel wheels for my Prius last night, and today I got a call from my Toyota dealer. He tells me that Toyota does not sell, produce, or even recommend putting steel wheels on a Prius. He said that the stock rims are somehow "special" for the prius due to electrical something or other. Honestly he didn't sound very convincing to me.

Has anyone else gotten this story? Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Wheel specs are:
2001:
14x5.5" 100mm bolt circle, (not sure if 40 or 45mm offset), 4 hole
(same wheel as the older 1993-2002 Corolla)

2004:
15x6" JJ, PCD 100mm, 45mm offset, 5 hole
(same wheel as the Matrix and the newer (2003-?) redesign of the Corolla)

I've heard of some people on Priusonline using some Scion (don't recall which model) wheels, but I don't have that info.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"He said that the stock rims are somehow "special" for the prius due to electrical something or other. "

What a laugher! Special "electric wheels."

Does he sell car wax that is especially made for hybrids, too?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking the guy is trying to shaft me so he can get me in twice a year for reinstallation and balancing of all my tires.

·
Registered
261 Posts
tirerack planned to sell steel wheels for the Prius ($32) but can't them in stock for this winter. I found some in stock locally (Twin Cities, MN) at Discount Tire, but they wanted $58 each, so instead I bought the Sport Edition alloy wheels...tirerack.com sells them for $68 each.

rpm

·
Registered
425 Posts
Fire Elemental said:
So I ordered a set of winter tires and steel wheels for my Prius last night, and today I got a call from my Toyota dealer. He tells me that Toyota does not sell, produce, or even recommend putting steel wheels on a Prius. He said that the stock rims are somehow "special" for the prius due to electrical something or other. Honestly he didn't sound very convincing to me.

Has anyone else gotten this story? Can anyone confirm this?
Its Bull. Here in the EU, I have steel rims with winter tyres supplied by Toyota.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts