Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Priuses are exempt from sales tax in Conneticut. Are there any other states that do this?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not here in...

Oregon doesn't charge sales tax, either! (Oh, wait, we don't charge sales tax on anything...)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Check NM tax laws again. I just saw a post saying they did not get charged and a link to the regulation. They said not all dealers know about this. The had to call the main office to figure out how to do it (he took a copy of the reg in with him just in case).

·
Registered
38 Posts
The law is there, but some dealers (and MVD clerks) don't know about it. The clerks here had to call the main office to find out about it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
tadashi said:
Check NM tax laws again. I just saw a post saying they did not get charged and a link to the regulation. They said not all dealers know about this. The had to call the main office to figure out how to do it (he took a copy of the reg in with him just in case).
nmrickie said:
The law is there, but some dealers (and MVD clerks) don't know about it. The clerks here had to call the main office to find out about it.
oooh... deja vu.... Anybody else get chills? :shock:

·
Registered
39 Posts
NH doesn't have a sales tax on anything...so I guess you could say that I had the same experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No Escape

If someone is thinking of getting out of paying sales tax by buying in a tax-free state -- you might have to think again.

Some -- maybe all -- states demand that you pay sales tax on new cars if you're a resident of that state. So if you buy a Prius in a tax-free state but live in a taxing state, you're going to pay sales tax anyway.

You could always move, of course. :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: No Escape

abbatangelo said:
If someone is thinking of getting out of paying sales tax by buying in a tax-free state -- you might have to think again....:)
I think the intent of the thread was to call attention to those states that do not charge their residents sales tax on Prius purchases, rather than to try to get out of paying tax. There are some states that ran a special promotion on certain vehicles, but not all dealers or tax clerks were aware of them.

PA still has its $500 rebate, I think, for purchase and registration in PA.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Texas does charge sales tax on car purchases, including Prius :( In case you are interested the rate is 6.25%

·
Registered
1 Posts
NY Owners?

I did pay sales tax when I picked my new baby up last Monday; I'm led to believe, however, that there is some type of "tax reduction" program in place where the dealer should credit the tax back at time of sale.

Other NY owners - what do you know about this?

Greg in Syracuse

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paid 7.475% sales tax here in Kansas City. Bought car in Michigan. No sales tax exemption for Prii in Missouri.

Chap

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is currently no program in NY.

NY did give a $2000 credit against state income tax but it was allowed to expire December 31, 2004.

There are currently several bills pending in the legislature to give hybrids tax and other breaks but to my knowledge none have been passed. If and when they are passed, whether they will be retroactive is another question.

Get in touch with your state reps to see what is going on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Colorado charges sales tax, but also gives a hefty tax credit, depending on the type of hybrid you purchase and what year you purchased it ($3,400-4,000 in the case of the 2005 Prius). It takes the form of a rebate against your state taxes, and can be spread out for as long as five years. But I'll believe it when I see the rebate checks ...

More info at: http://www.revenue.state.co.us/fyi/html/income09.html

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: NY Owners?

greengreg said:
I did pay sales tax when I picked my new baby up last Monday; I'm led to believe, however, that there is some type of "tax reduction" program in place where the dealer should credit the tax back at time of sale.

Other NY owners - what do you know about this?

Greg in Syracuse
my reading is that the sales tax exemption in NY was only extended through Feb. 28, 2005.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/hondataxinsigh ... 20Law.html

and the state income tax credit ended at the end of 2004, but any unused portion can still be rolled over

http://tax.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tax.cfg ... MQ**&p_li=

some other links are available here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 003761354/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts