Toyota Prius Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,097 Posts
dontcheff said:
The MPG drops very much when you drive 120-130 km/h (75-80 miles/h) on a highway. Less than 40.
Where in the Helsinki do you need to get to that quickly?:wink:

By the way, your avatar says Helsiki. I assume a mistake?

· Registered
127 Posts
Re: Never Seen 50 MPG

wizardbill said:
We've had our prius for 2750 miles. Mileage per tank averages 42-44mpg. I've never seen this 50 MPG for any extended period of time except for that one trip that is all down-hill.

We live at the top of a (small) mountain. The last leg is steep and the millage really drops there, but the going down-hill on the way out should make up for that, right?

We haven't adjusted the tire pressure and run w/ the A/C on, but still, the claim of 50 MPG doesn't seem very realistic to me. Plus, I've read several reviews of the prius and have never seen actual results of better than 45 MPG posted.

Maybe some of you live in the city with a lot of stop and go and really do get close to 60MPG. I've done that, and observed that it does work that way, but for the rest, i'm sorry, but i'm really skeptical about all of these 50+ MPG claims.

Even "that guy john" who does PR for Toyota only claims ~45 MPG for his prius.

Wizardbill-
Where are you located? If you are anywhere near me, I will take you for a drive. I will drive the speed limit for my suburban commute and I will show you how I very consistantly get 58 MPG for 650 mile tanks, tank after tank. I don't hold anyone up more than anyone else and I use a few tricks when I can.

This subject has been debated so much, I would just love to take a skeptic out for a long drive and demonstrate how to drive the Prius in an enjoyable and conservative manner. This is not to say that you are not trying to do that but I really have a hard time getting the numbers you are reporting without just driving the hell out of the car. My wife is an agressive driver. She has modified her driving only a little and is getting 51.5 and 53.0 on her first two tanks of fuel. On the third tank, we drove 450 miles to Houston and back. We drove mostly Interstate at 76 mph and on the way home, as fast as the driving rain storm would allow. The headwind was around 20 mph coming home. There were three of us in the car and we used the AC the whole time. The temperatures were moderate. We arrived at home with an average of 43.6 MPG. I agree that low 40s are possible but not without extenuating circumstances. 75+ mph and driving into the teeth of a driving rainstorm are not what the EPA had in mind. If all your trips are very short then your mileage figures are easily explained. If you start your car at the top of a hill, then you are running the engine for the warm up while coasting downhill. That would be a drag on your mileage. You sound like you could benefit from an EV button to avoid going through the warmup cycle until you need the engine to be running for propulsion. Hopefully you are not using B mode.

I have posted pictures of my screen on Priuschat for the tanks that I have logged where I went for 703 and 763 miles. I can send the link if you want. I posted mileage tips in the same threads. BTW, I'm serious about wanting to take you for a ride with me.

· Registered
14 Posts
For what it's worth, tomorrow marks our second week of Prius ownership. In two stops at the gas station, our calculated mileage has been 52 to 53mpg. True, our warmer temperatures in San Antonio help, plus our daily commute is about 50 miles round trip. Still, I've yet to bump up the tire pressures from the inital dealer delivery settings.
Are we pleased with our Prius? You bet! We love this car! We've cut our monthly gasoline expenditures by about 60%.

· Registered
17 Posts
Hills = lower mpg

On another thread I mentioned that terrain has a definite effect on mpg. I have never gotten over 47 mpg, but I live at the bottom of a half mile hill that climbs 400 feet, and on the way up in the morning I dip below 12 mpg, instantaneously. On the other hand, I usually pull into my garage with a full green battery.

If only the world was flat....

· Registered
138 Posts
Re: Hills = lower mpg

For all I have observed is that when driving at around 80 km/h (= 50 mph), I get 50 MPG. When driving with speed 100 (=60 mph) and above (up to 125) km/h = 77 mph), I drop below 40 MPG.

Where I live, is a 40 km/h zone (25 mph). Driving around my n:hood I always get 60 MPG and above!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.