Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first 15,000 miles I drove my Prius to maximize fuel economy. That type of driving is now stressful and no longer fun. I now drive the car normally and get 44-47 mpgs. No more 50 mpgs for me, but the car is much more fun to drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
I'm only at 1000 some miles, but I see your point entirely. I don't think I'll worry much longer about maximizing my mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Funny....I find driving my Prius gently to be much more relaxing than driving my Camry. I used to have to be ahead, and go go go. Now, because I started out trying to max my fuel economy, I'm far lessed stressy on the road. Guess it's different for everyone. Isn't it great that the Prius can accomodate most types? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I have driven 4000 kms withy my Prius. What I get is 45-55 mpgs. I have seen that it totally depends on the style of driving and where you drive. Additionnaly warm weather and cruiser usage increases the mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
jamarimutt said:
For the first 15,000 miles I drove my Prius to maximize fuel economy. That type of driving is now stressful and no longer fun. I now drive the car normally and get 44-47 mpgs. No more 50 mpgs for me, but the car is much more fun to drive.
Congratulations, You will now relax & enjoy your car more by not considering every fill-up a challenge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
Funny....I find driving my Prius gently to be much more relaxing than driving my Camry. I used to have to be ahead, and go go go. Now, because I started out trying to max my fuel economy, I'm far lessed stressy on the road. Guess it's different for everyone. Isn't it great that the Prius can accomodate most types? :)
I suspect that your lower stress is because you discovered that driving modestly at moderate speeds gives great mpg returns.

That was always apparently true with all cars...just that the larger numbers on the Prius are more impressive, and get our attention.

Good for you, a less stressed driver is generally a safer driver. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
An04Prius said:
jamarimutt said:
For the first 15,000 miles I drove my Prius to maximize fuel economy. That type of driving is now stressful and no longer fun. I now drive the car normally and get 44-47 mpgs. No more 50 mpgs for me, but the car is much more fun to drive.
Congratulations, you have completed rehab, & are no longer an mpg junkie. You will now relax & enjoy your car more by not considering every fill-up a challenge.
I guess I still need more rehab...I keep hoping to get a 55 MPG tank (calculated).

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Safety factor

I like that safety factor too. I find myself actually respecting
that 35mph sign in the suburbs....and I feel safer as well as
less stressed. I can stop if that basketball rolls into the road...

And Sanny: I chew on chocolate as I do the "electric glide".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
BIF said:
An04Prius said:
jamarimutt said:
For the first 15,000 miles I drove my Prius to maximize fuel economy. That type of driving is now stressful and no longer fun. I now drive the car normally and get 44-47 mpgs. No more 50 mpgs for me, but the car is much more fun to drive.
Congratulations, you have completed rehab, & are no longer an mpg junkie. You will now relax & enjoy your car more by not considering every fill-up a challenge.
I guess I still need more rehab...I keep hoping to get a 55 MPG tank (calculated).

:)
I cannot guarantee it, but I would bet that you would get a 55mpg tank if you do this one simple thing on your next long road trip (500-600 miles, 98/99% on Interstate class roads, reasonably normal grade).

Get in the right lane, set your cruise for 60mph and stay there at that speed. Pass only if 60 will let you. As a matter of fact, if you do such a trip at 55mph, you will likely get a 60mpg tank.

You can use/not use your A/C as much as you like. Psi your tires at whatever you consider safe, stop for lunch, dinner, motel , etc,etc...all that nickel & dime stuff will likely not stop you from getting a 55mpg tank.

Then maybe we can get you into rehab :)

P.S. This program does not imply the absence of impatient tailgaters & Rockefeller Salutes :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
:D Somewhat like Sanny, my Prius has changed my driving habits, not specifically in pursuit of maxed MPG (although I sure enjoy getting better MPGs). I find I'm less rushed, more relaxed and now only glance occasionally at the MFD (reading "Consumption"). I have reduced my tire pressures to 38/36 psi. I have changed to Mobil-1 5W-30 (yesterday) and will watch the mpg readings. I used my independent (long time) mechanic, changed the filter, put in 3½ qts (took the other ½ qt home) and noted the dipstick was just below the "full" dimple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
An04Prius said:
BIF said:
An04Prius said:
jamarimutt said:
For the first 15,000 miles I drove my Prius to maximize fuel economy. That type of driving is now stressful and no longer fun. I now drive the car normally and get 44-47 mpgs. No more 50 mpgs for me, but the car is much more fun to drive.
Congratulations, you have completed rehab, & are no longer an mpg junkie. You will now relax & enjoy your car more by not considering every fill-up a challenge.
I guess I still need more rehab...I keep hoping to get a 55 MPG tank (calculated).

:)
I cannot guarantee it, but I would bet that you would get a 55mpg tank if you do this one simple thing on your next long road trip (500-600 miles, 98/99% on Interstate class roads, reasonably normal grade).

Get in the right lane, set your cruise for 60mph and stay there at that speed. Pass only if 60 will let you. As a matter of fact, if you do such a trip at 55mph, you will likely get a 60mpg tank.

You can use/not use your A/C as much as you like. Psi your tires at whatever you consider safe, stop for lunch, dinner, motel , etc,etc...all that nickel & dime stuff will likely not stop you from getting a 55mpg tank.

Then maybe we can get you into rehab :)

P.S. This program does not imply the absence of impatient tailgaters & Rockefeller Salutes :roll:
That isn't my experience lately. I get close to 60MPG, but that's because much of my commute is at 45MPH. The 55MPH stretches are closer to 55MPG, my last trip at 60MPH got close to 50MPG.

Then, maybe I need to check my oil level, don't think I did that at my last change about 1500 miles ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
DanMan32 said:
An04Prius said:
BIF said:
An04Prius said:
jamarimutt said:
For the first 15,000 miles I drove my Prius to maximize fuel economy. That type of driving is now stressful and no longer fun. I now drive the car normally and get 44-47 mpgs. No more 50 mpgs for me, but the car is much more fun to drive.
Congratulations, you have completed rehab, & are no longer an mpg junkie. You will now relax & enjoy your car more by not considering every fill-up a challenge.
I guess I still need more rehab...I keep hoping to get a 55 MPG tank (calculated).

:)
I cannot guarantee it, but I would bet that you would get a 55mpg tank if you do this one simple thing on your next long road trip (500-600 miles, 98/99% on Interstate class roads, reasonably normal grade).

Get in the right lane, set your cruise for 60mph and stay there at that speed. Pass only if 60 will let you. As a matter of fact, if you do such a trip at 55mph, you will likely get a 60mpg tank.

You can use/not use your A/C as much as you like. Psi your tires at whatever you consider safe, stop for lunch, dinner, motel , etc,etc...all that nickel & dime stuff will likely not stop you from getting a 55mpg tank.

Then maybe we can get you into rehab :)

P.S. This program does not imply the absence of impatient tailgaters & Rockefeller Salutes :roll:
That isn't my experience lately. I get close to 60MPG, but that's because much of my commute is at 45MPH. The 55MPH stretches are closer to 55MPG, my last trip at 60MPH got close to 50MPG.

Then, maybe I need to check my oil level, don't think I did that at my last change about 1500 miles ago.
I just got back from a trip, doing a steady 60mph, got 55+mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Never Seen 50 MPG

We've had our prius for 2750 miles. Mileage per tank averages 42-44mpg. I've never seen this 50 MPG for any extended period of time except for that one trip that is all down-hill.

We live at the top of a (small) mountain. The last leg is steep and the millage really drops there, but the going down-hill on the way out should make up for that, right?

We haven't adjusted the tire pressure and run w/ the A/C on, but still, the claim of 50 MPG doesn't seem very realistic to me. Plus, I've read several reviews of the prius and have never seen actual results of better than 45 MPG posted.

Maybe some of you live in the city with a lot of stop and go and really do get close to 60MPG. I've done that, and observed that it does work that way, but for the rest, i'm sorry, but i'm really skeptical about all of these 50+ MPG claims.

Even "that guy john" who does PR for Toyota only claims ~45 MPG for his prius.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I don't live in the city. Far from it. Commuting to work for us is 64 miles one way-mixed suburbs for about 25% of the trip, and the rest is all highway.
(NewEnglanders we drive 495, to 93 to 128-Ugh! Every Day!)

Had the car about a month and a half, and average 54mpg. Up to over 5K miles on it already, but we've never seen below 50mpg.

The trick is coasting when you can, and having a light foot. Drive the speed limit and you'll get the decent gas mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
You could 50 mph readings if you.....

You could 50 mph readings if you.....reset the trip counter after 15 minutes of drive. Please, discard the first 15 minutes. They just represent de heating time. And then, continue your trip. The readings that you will get will represent the real number of the car - city/highway. Try, and let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Low mileage?

My 2005 Prius has about 3,800 miles on it. My best tank averaged 47 mpg and my average tank is only about 40 mpg. I've checked the tire pressure and it's fine. I think I drive to maximize my mileage...clearly I'm doing something wrong. Any advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Re: Low mileage?

sassafrass said:
My 2005 Prius has about 3,800 miles on it. My best tank averaged 47 mpg and my average tank is only about 40 mpg. I've checked the tire pressure and it's fine. I think I drive to maximize my mileage...clearly I'm doing something wrong. Any advice?
If you are driving mostly highway or interstate, you are not doing badly. Also, you don't say where you live. If you are in a climate that has been cold or chilly in the months you have owned it, it's not surprising that your mileage is what is it. Cold has a big impact. Finally, you have only 3800 miles on it. Some people experience a gradual increase in mpg as their mileage increases. The tires get less something, and the rest of the parts get more something else, an mileage improves. Don't give up! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
I drive mostly a mix of probably 1/3 surface streets to 2/3 urban but usually free-moving freeway. I have a 20-30 minute commute depending on traffic, and weekends usually bring a combination of short trips (<10 min) and one or two trips longer than my commute. I average about 45 mpg, my last tank was just under 47. The only time I see averages for a period of time less than about 43 is if I'm doing a lot of short drives to places I spend half an hour or more... if you do a lot of 5-10 minute trips it will bring your average down. If you can combine them into a longer series with short stops, so the engine stays warm, it may help.

I've played with various techniques to get better mileage; the keepers so far are using the cruise whenever feasible and trying to accelerate as gently as possible without annoying the other drivers. I sometimes play with "gliding" but there are only a few places where that's feasible, so I consider it a form of entertainment -- mostly I let the car do its thing.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top