Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I am new to this forum, but I just wanted folks to know that my 2005 Super White Prius w/ Gray interior BC package is not being allocated for the rest of the year. I placed a deposit on August 11th and was sure to get one on the next allocation for Sept/Oct.

I will now be bumped to the 2006 model year! :cry: (expect to get delivery in mid Nov). From other posts, my dealer confirmed with a spec sheet that all those other goodies will be on the 2006 model. e.g. back-up camera, tire pressure, leather, new colors, etc. I was also told that there will be a $500 dollar increase for '06 models. My discounts (~$500 for being referred with credit union) will still apply. Hence, below MSRP!

Interesting to note that the back-up camera will be on all options package except for #1 (probably the lowest grade).

Has any one heard anything more consistent on 2005 allocations and new 2006 models?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldnt be sad :cry: for having to wait for an 06'. Heck, it's already Sept 1st tomorrow, why buy a year old car (an 05') and not get a heavy discount like other cars at the end of the year. Just me, but buying an 05 now is now worth it...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You already put down a deposit. INSIST on paying the 2005 price. Especially if they told you you'd get a 2005. If they refuse to drop to the 2005 price, walk away. (And tell them why.)

You put down a deposit on a 2005 model year vehicle, and were told that you would pay the 2005 price. So that's all you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow,
I want that backup camera. I hope that will be backward compatible wiith 2005 model. It seems Toyota finally realize that Prius is a geek car, it needs all the geeky gadgets. Yes, I am speaking for myself. Sorry.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have heard "facts" all over the map about what is going to be on the 2006. Your "spec" sheet might have been a sales pitch. Does anyone really know what is going to be on the 2006?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you tell me more about this credit union referral?

I've been pre-approved for financing by my credit union. Can I use this to my advantage?

Antioch/San Ramon, CA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My credit union (Technology Federal Credit) has a "car store" that refers customers to dealers that they network with. Using them gets me .25% off my interest rate and a discount below MSRP, in case of the Prius it is ~$500 bucks.

The unfortunate thing is they deal with smaller dealerships and I am finding that going to a bigger dealership will get you better choices in color and packages a lot sooner. So maybe saving a little is not so good if you need a Prius sooner. At any rate, I am not in a big hurry and they promised to get me a White Package #8 '06 with leather in November.

I also have to re apply on my loan that will probably put me at a higher interest rate and the MSRP of the 2006 Prius going up. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
ceric said:
Wow,
I want that backup camera. I hope that will be backward compatible wiith 2005 model. It seems Toyota finally realize that Prius is a geek car, it needs all the geeky gadgets. Yes, I am speaking for myself. Sorry.
No,no, there are more like you out there. I want that camera as well.

And, I want the car to 'beep' outside the car when backing up. I wish that was an option coming out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, to answer your question, go into any dealer and immediately ask for the Fleet or Internet manager. Let them know you are with a credit union and they will let you know if discounts will apply. I have already confirmed that some dealers will give up to ~$500 off MSRP for being a member of credit unions, AAA, Costco, etc.

What I am afraid of is with the increase in demand of these cars, they may start jacking the price over MSRP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wcatabay said:
:D I am new to this forum, but I just wanted folks to know that my 2005 Super White Prius w/ Gray interior BC package is not being allocated for the rest of the year. I placed a deposit on August 11th and was sure to get one on the next allocation for Sept/Oct.

I will now be bumped to the 2006 model year! :cry: (expect to get delivery in mid Nov). From other posts, my dealer confirmed with a spec sheet that all those other goodies will be on the 2006 model. e.g. back-up camera, tire pressure, leather, new colors, etc. I was also told that there will be a $500 dollar increase for '06 models. My discounts (~$500 for being referred with credit union) will still apply. Hence, below MSRP!

Interesting to note that the back-up camera will be on all options package except for #1 (probably the lowest grade).

Has any one heard anything more consistent on 2005 allocations and new 2006 models?
Strange. My dealer just called this morning and said that our loaded, 2005, seaside pearl, Prius will be in on Tuesday. We put down our deposit on August. 20. Did you try calling other dealerships?

We really didn't want the 2006 because of the chance that it might have leather interior. You can't make the coolest tree hugger car in the world and then go put dead animal in it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
[quote="sloflierWe really didn't want the 2006 because of the chance that it might have leather interior. You can't make the coolest tree hugger car in the world and then go put dead animal in it.[/quote]

I never really understood that. If you eat beef, you can't object to leather, as it is a byproduct of the cattle used in obtaining beef.

But I believe you can get a 2006 without leather.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i got leather. it's 'wrong' but i need a surface that is easy to clean and dog-proof.. my current non-leather car smells like my dogs no matter what i try. my other leather-clad car does not...

they need to make another non-leather material for this car because of it's ecological following.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think Dan makes an excellent point. Like it or not, we're a nation of beef eaters. Isn't it more ecologically sound to make sure we make good use of every part of the animals which we're killing anyway?

Does anyone have a round figure on what it costs to replace the original fabric seats with leather?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple of dealers that I went to charges $1695 for after market leather seats that includes the center console and door panels. It looked really nice!

Where I ordered my Prius, I was able to get them at cost $1295. They also told me that the factory leather on the 2006 will be close to ~$2k and from what I hear the difference will be a leather wrapped steering wheel. They went on to say that the aftermarket seats are much better looking than factory from other vehicles.........

With the cost increase of the 2006 model and factory leather. The commuter car is getting to expensive from it's orginal intention e.g. save gas and the environment.

I'll stick with my order of 2005 if it does come in this month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ehurtley said:
You already put down a deposit. INSIST on paying the 2005 price. Especially if they told you you'd get a 2005. If they refuse to drop to the 2005 price, walk away. (And tell them why.)

You put down a deposit on a 2005 model year vehicle, and were told that you would pay the 2005 price. So that's all you are willing to pay.
The only problem with that tactic is that the dealer knows damn well that if you don't buy the Prius, someone else will, probably within less than a week.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I drove my brother's new Lexus recently and it had a backup camera. Wow! No more sore necks, backing into hidden posts/rocks/etc. I thought it was the biggest improvement since the rear window defroster. I would love to have one.

Ditto leather. My tannish cloth upholstery is already stained after 30 days of ownership. It's like having a white rug in the family room: impossible to keep clean. I would have opted for the gray if I had known how hard it was going to be to keep clean.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's one of the biggest reasons why I got the white Prius. I had the option of either gray or beige upholstery and I read a lot of comments about how the beige looked dirty almost instantly. And, after 3 1/2 months the gray still looks clean. But I'd love to install leather upholstery, just the same. I miss the luxury of leather seats.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I did love the black leather interior in my Corvette.

And leather lasts longer than just about anything manufactured with oil byproducts.

I hardly ever had to replace my leather shoes. Just get them re-soled 3 or 4 times...once every 12 or 18 months or so...

But now, with all this oil-made artificial stuff, I can barely get a pair of shoes to last a year. I wonder just how damaging it is to the environment to keep making new shoes as opposed to re-soling the same ones several times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts