Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howcome the navigation system doesn't do dynamic recalculation of the route when you go off the suggested route? This feature is on every other nav system that I have used.

Its absence is particularly infuriating because you have to stop driving to reset the desitination, otherwise you could do the recalculation manually while en route. I have ordered the patch from Coastal Dave to allow en route destination setting, but he doesn't seem to be in business any more.

Is there someway to upgrade to add this feature which should have been standard in the first place?

I just bought a new Prius and assumed that this feature would be on the nav system. Without it, I doubt I would have put out the $3K plus(can$) for the option. Is this a Toyota or Denso design decision?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That feature does exist on the Prius. You might have to turn it on via one of the setting screens.

I sure hope Coastal Dave hasn't gone out of business. I'm guessing that they just forgot to pay the bills for the web page hosting.

Peter

·
Registered
319 Posts
The NAV system does re-direct a new route if you were to go off. Its in the "Setup" section. Push the "Menu" button on the top right side of the screen. Then go to Setup. It should be in there. It works for me. It has got to be the best feature the NAV has, except for the feature of being able to suspend the guidence for a min. if you were to go ahead and drive off route, and don't want it yell'in at you.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Brian said:
The NAV system does re-direct a new route if you were to go off. ... It works for me. It has got to be the best feature the NAV has, except for the feature of being able to suspend the guidence for a min. if you were to go ahead and drive off route, and don't want it yell'in at you.
Goodness, yes! I agree about the redirect! I was away this weekend and missed a NAV directed turn, in the dark, in the rain, with my mother and cousin in the car. NAV Lady declined to call me ugly names in front of my family (I appreciated that), but just sighed and told me how to get back to the hotel. I'm SO glad I had the foresight before leaving home to pre-program the street addresses of the several places we were going to visit! Lost with Mother, in the rain and dark, in a strange place, is NOT where I like to be. :::shudder:::

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Page 81 of the 2004 Prius Navigation Owner's Manual:
"Auto Reroute
When the .Auto Reroute. feature is turned
on, the system will automatically search
for a new route to the destination if you
strays from the guidance route. This feature
does not operate while you are driving
on roads where guidance is not available.
To turn the .Auto Reroute. mode on:
1. Push the .MENU. button.
2. Touch the .Setup. switch.
3. Touch the .On. switch of .Auto
Reroute..
The selected switch is highlighted in green.
INFORMATION
If your vehicle strays from the guidance
route, the system searches for a new
route to the destination. The new route
may or may not take you back to the previous
route depending on how far you
are off the original guidance route.
"

·
Registered
425 Posts
petteri said:
That feature does exist on the Prius. You might have to turn it on via one of the setting screens.

I sure hope Coastal Dave hasn't gone out of business. I'm guessing that they just forgot to pay the bills for the web page hosting.

Peter
From internic, it looks as if the domain has been recently worked on...

Updated Date: 02-apr-2005
Creation Date: 27-mar-2001
Expiration Date: 27-mar-2006

1 - 7 of 7 Posts