Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why Toyota did not provide a safety feature to get and stay in to the electric mode. We, with the goal to acomplish mileage saving, distract that much away from traffic attention that we put in jeopardy our lives and passenger's lives. We look more than before the center console, we reduce speed more than before (getting to electric mode), we sostain the speed more than before (keeping the electric mode) and we obstruct more than before (48 mph in highways avoiding gas mode). Are those the "NEW DRIVING HABITS"? Yes, they are!!.. I personaly admire the Prius master peace of technology and envionmental conservation, but I still ask, Why Toyota did not provide a safety feature to get and stay in to the electric mode without jeopardizing my safety and my love ones. If I have an accident because of prior comments, I will justify it because my extreme wishes to contribute to the environment trying very hard to expend a lot of less gas.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Stop trying to get into and stay in electric mode. As you noted, it's dangerous to take your mind off driving. Also, in almost all cases, the computers can do a better job of choosing which mode than you could for the best overall gasoline savings. Let them do their job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your not exactly right

If you let computers take care of mileage you will get 5 to 10 less in the average. You need to provide your cooperation (stress) to get over 50's or to get close to the mileage that Toyota claimed to get.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: I think your not exactly right

rmarchena said:
If you let computers take care of mileage you will get 5 to 10 less in the average. You need to provide your cooperation (stress) to get over 50's or to get close to the mileage that Toyota claimed to get.
Toyota didn't claim to get the mileage. The US Environmental Protection Agency gave the numbers based on ridiculous, unrealistic testing methods. In fact, I read that the auto manufacturers wanted to provide different numbers, but they cannot advertise a mileage figure other than what EPA provides. No car gets the mileage on the sticker under 'real world' conditions.

As for my providing "stress" to get 50 mpg, I get it regularly, and there's no stress at all. If I drove more in town and less highway, I'm confident my mileage would be higher - all by letting the computer do what it's designed to do. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I regularly get over 50 just by using cruise control and obeying local speed limits

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If Toyota accepted to post in the car sales sticker (rear left window)what you call "The US Environmental Protection Agency gave the numbers based on ridiculous, unrealistic testing methods" then we have a propaganda just like that also. The point is, and do not miss it please, that for the average driver is has a quota of contribution (stress) to acomplish that propaganda. That contribution was not mentioned in the package I got. I think, like I said, there is a missing feature to acomplish the propaganda.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If Toyota accepted to post in the car sales sticker (rear left window)what you call "The US Environmental Protection Agency gave the numbers based on ridiculous, unrealistic testing methods" then we have a propaganda
The point you are missing here is that Toyota was without a choice . They were required to post the EPA numbers. I have understood that they actually wanted to not post them because it could lead to unrealistic expectations. They are required by law to use the EPA figures.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
understanding

Well, my friend....if toyota was forced...then who could I complaint to? To Toyota or to US Government (EPA / Cosummer Affairs) or to both? Realy this does not matter..!!! What realy matters is the safety and A PROPOSAL FOR A FORMAL RECALL TO FIX THAT PROBLEM THAT MANY PRIUS'S OWNERS HAVE AKNOWLEGE. I love my Prius, but with some very important reserves. And that is one.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Have fun whining to Toyota and the EPA about this "problem". Please post their reply on this forum for our entertainment.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you are seriously nit picking. if you get distracted, that's your fault because there are many others who will have absolutely no problem. if they made it longer i wonder if you would make a thread called "why didnt they make it shorter so i wouldnt have to wait and anticipate and OMG SAFETY OF MY FAMILY"

·
Registered
420 Posts
rmarchena, you're mistaken in thinking that electric mode conserves energy. Except for the fraction that's regenerated in braking and coasting (with which there's always a net energy loss), the gasoline engine generates the Prius' electricity. This means the mpg numbers on the screen are misleading: When you're in electric mode, it seems as though you're getting fabulous mileage, but that electricity was generated earlier, when you were getting the less-fabulous mileage with the engine running. The fabulous mileage can't exist without the so-so mileage.

Canadian and European Priuses DO have a switch to keep the car in electric-only mode longer. You can get it in the US from Coastal Tech, though I hear the installation is not for the faint of heart. But, while it's a handy gadget if you want to move your car around in your driveway without turning the enging on, there are no stories of people getting 5 or 10 more mpg because of it, and that's because they don't. Ultimately the gasoline engine supplies the energy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Remind me to never ride in a car with you driving.

If you paying attention to the MFD causes an accident, you can ask anyone- YOU are at fault. It's called INATTENTIVE DRIVING. And should a passenger be killed in your car during such an accident it's VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER. When choosing my family's life or another 5 mpg, I will happily get 45mpg instead of 50.

YOU, not Toyota, are responsible for how you drive. Turn the MFD off and drive the car. If you're going 45 on the highway in New York you're asking for trouble. They were made to be driven, not toddled around town.

Stop whining. You have a new car, isn't that good enough? I mean, didn't you test drive it before you handed over $25K??

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't feed the troll!!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Sorry, I have to say something

Causing grief and danger to your surroundings because of the EV mode is not acceptable. You do NOT need to be looking at the screen to know that. Posted mileage is not Toyota's fault as they are REQUIRED to post EPA results.

As for the rest, just read galaxee's reply

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Come on! Isn't it fun when somebody stirs the pot a bit? rmarchena, welcome!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hep said:
Come on! Isn't it fun when somebody stirs the pot a bit? rmarchena, welcome!
Yer just grateful we have a target other than YOU for a change, Hep! ;) Don't try to fool US!

·
Registered
455 Posts
rmarchena -- you gotta be f&$%# kidding me. You are, how you say in English, an idiot. To even think of suing or blaming someone else because you apparently can't drive for sh&#.
Don't watch the screen when you drive, it is a simple rule really.
You won't get the EPA numbers, OK, deal with it. You won't get them on any other car either. It is a controlled run, not done on the road. Toyota has to abide by them, and by law can not even put a disclaimer in.

Do everyone, and I gotta think your dealer too, a favor and sell the car. You are not ready for it, obvioulsy.

And for god's sake keep off the road, you are far more dangerous than any of the design "flaws" you bring up.

Spike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts