Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why Toyota claimed extreme safety features in the Prius and DID NOT realized the very unsafe vision thru side and center mirros rear visibility. I think TOYOTA must install wider side and center mirrors to every 2004 and 2005 Priuses at not cost to owners. If I have an accident because related to this situation, I will say: "My Prius does not have vision in that spot". Maybe the Prius is the car that has the longest dead spot area among all cars in the market and "this" is very easy to proof, just drive it.
Some people say that is matter of get us to it. I do not think so. I have had several cars, I have driven several cars. After four months, I still do not get an acceptable and safety feeling to turn and reverse in my Prius 2005 Blue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Want a real simple and inexpensive solution to the blind spots on *any* car? - purchase a couple of small convex bubble mirrors and paste them in the upper outboard corners of your side mirrors - voila - the blind spot is *gone*. I'm addicted to these - I've had them on every car that I've ever owned.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the solution

I know the solution my friend. But I know to design responsability vs liability. Did I buy a threat without knowing it? Answer: "YES". You take it from there...!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If they make the center mirror any larger I won't be able to see out the winshield at all... I'd prefer a smaller one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
rmarchena said:
... If I have an accident because related to this situation, I will say: "My Prius does not have vision in that spot".
And the police will ask "Did you know about that blind spot" and promptly write you a ticket for the unsafe lane change. Go spend the $4 for the bubble mirrors and make the world a better and safer place.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wider mirror

Guys, have you seen cove mirrors 12 inches long. They will not block your front windsield. They cost $7.50 in Jerome Ave., Bronx, NY.. "I KNOW THAT". But I know also that is a part to expedite a good design.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have to agree. I nearly lost the side of my Prius this morning, when I switched lanes with a car approaching, who wasn't in any of my mirrors, but in the blind spot.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You mean you didn't test-drive the car? You can't blame others for your lack of diligence.

All you have to do is look up the Car Talk website and follow their directions for adjusting outside mirrors. Follow their advice and you can see 100% of what is behind you.

Doesn't help the left front A-pillar blind spot, though.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
California Drivers Manual 2003 pg 35 & 36.

from Before Changing Lanes section:

"...Glance over your left or right shoulder to make sure the lane you want is clear. If you use only your left or inside rearview mirrors, you may not see vehicles near the rear of your vehicle because of a "blind spot"."

from Backing Up section:

"...look over your right shoulder when backing the vehicle. Do not depend only on your mirrors or only looking out a side window."

If you do not do these during a CA driving test you will possibly get points off ...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Two words: Shoulder Check. You cannot soley rely on your side mirrors. As for the rear view mirror, how much wider do you need? You can only see as far as the rear window is wide

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Two words: Shoulder Check. You cannot soley rely on your side mirrors. As for the rear view mirror, how much wider do you need? You can only see as far as the rear window is wide
I think you get two minutes in the penalty box for a shoulder check.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Aww. How come?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Car talk: how to adjust side mirrors!

Check out these instructions on how to adjust side mirrors:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/index.html

Most people have the side mirrors improperly adjusted by having the side mirror field of vision overlap with the inner rear view mirror. This creates the blind spots. Click and Clack suggest pointing the side mirrors out to where they do not or only barely overlap with the inner rearview mirror, and bingo - no blind spot.

I find that my 05 Prius has not the best visibility of any car, but not the worst by any means. In fact, I am quite comfortable with it, after having adjusted my mirrors in the 'Click & Clack' way.

Please note that this - as C&C state - takes some getting used to! Once you do, I think it works great!

Give it a shot and see if that helps your problem.
M

·
Registered
669 Posts
With the mirrors my Prius doesn't have any worse visibility than the Saturn I replaced. Properly adjusted, the mirrors do a good job. I don't feel a need for the "bubble mirrors" though I had them on my old Nissan pickup truck. You do need to use them in addition to the shoulder check to avoid surprises while your already in the process of chaning lanes, but that's good driving procedure anyway.

I don't even find the wide pillars while reversing to be that big a deal, I need to move my head a bit more to be sure I haven't missed something, but.... you folks just haven't ever driven across the country in a pickup truck with the back fully loaded. You can drive safely off side mirrors ALONE if they are correctly adjusted and you learn what the limits are !!!

I honestly didn't notice anything unusual at all (except the split rear window) until I started reading complaints on this board. Are people who are used to driving SUVs more bothered than those of us who are used to smaller cars?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I notice no problem in the Prius as far as visability, none. I didn't have to adapt to anything, just properly adjusted the mirrors. I don't think Toyota would be liable for crap if you didn't look where you went. No driving manual in the country would not say to not rely on your mirrors exclusively.

Spike << can't even imagine suing a car company because I didn't like the mirrors

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ending Subject No. 1

Ending Subject No. 1 - It is matter of statistics folks... HOW MANY PRIUS OWNERS GOT SUPPRISLY SCARED WHEN ANOTHER CAR WINDS THEIR PRIUSES THAT CLOSE THAT ALMOST SCRACHES THE PAINT OF LEFT SIDE CAR BODY AND THEY HEAR THE INSULTS FROM THE OTHER DRIVER. HOW MANY PRIUS OWNERS HAVE SOME INCONVINIENCIES BACKING THE CAR WITHOUT SCRACHING THEIRS AND THE OTHERS. If you count how many times this subject is been ponderated you will be definitely real suprised.
By the way...Right side mirror does not have the warning of the object's distance...Why?....Thanks, folks for your cooperation in this matter.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Ah, at number 2: Don't feed the troll!
Astrowoman, what is that in your avatar ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts