Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Periodically, I like to check in and see how folks on the waiting list are doing, and how the dealers are treating them, i.e. is the increasing demand meaning much longer waits and are dealers being even more exploitive?

I think it must be difficult for someone who has been waiting 4, 6 or even 10 months for a Prius to be reading all this chit chat about how to adjust this or that, or what happens when the thigamabob is loose, etc, etc.

We've all been there with you, some way longer than others. Hang in there.
I hope the car will be seen to have been worth the wait. I think it's a really cool car.
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
The list at my dealership is only 15 orders deep, and we are averaging 3-4 per month. It seems that with all the news that the orders are taking so long has detered some people from even ordering at all. I would say that we are on about a 5 month waiting list(give or take). Pretty good considering that other dealers around here are looking at more than a year before most orders will be filled.
-Brian[/b]

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just got my car two weeks ago, and a friend got his this week. We both ordered in November, but were waiting for a specific package and color. My dealer says they have 150 on the list and are telling new orders it may be two years. Minneapolis must be high on the demand side and low on the supply side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been on the waiting list for my silver #7 for 3 months now. There are currently 10 on the preferenced order. My dealership told me that I am at the top of the list but they have not received any new ones since the end of May. The dealership can't tell me anything about where my order is in the over all scheme of things. So I don't have any idea how long I have to wait.

I received the keychain from Toyota yesterday and after reading the different discussion, would like to think that I only have 3-4 months to go. But I guess my car is in the hands of the Toyota gods!!

Trying to wait patiently

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been waiting since November for just a #1 package! I asked the salesman when I made my deposit how long it would take and he said "2 months". I realize that you can't thake the salesman's word as the gospel truth so I was thinking maybe 4 or 5 months. It's now been 8 months now and I still have not received word on my car. I keep calling the dealer every 2 or 3 months to check up and they keep telling me that I'm still on the list. The last time I called was in June and they told me that I was #3 on the list (#1 with the #1 package) and that they are recieving them about once a month. It doesn't look like I'm going to see my car until sometime around September or after. :(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It was a sunny day in November when I test drove the 2004 Prius. I'll mention that the salesman I dealt with told me the flat out lie that the Prius could run for 50 MILES w/o any gas. We all know Toyota's word on that... After I went home, I had some questions so used the [email protected]{the dealership}.com to ask them. I never did get a reply.

I went back on January 8th, put $1000 down and got in line. I was originally told delivery would be some time in July...

Since then I've called the salesman 3 times. (The first was around the third week of April) w/o getting a return call. The thrid time (mid May), I reminded the receptionist that it was my third call without a response, and that on the second call she "personally delivered the message"...

On my 4th call I was told the salesman couldn't return my 3rd call as he had been promoded and was busy in training. (wrong thing to say to an already aggrevated customer) I then spoke with a with a manager who eventually got back with me and said that July was out and it'd be another 4 months before delivery.

Six weeks (to the day) later, I called again and spoke with a different manager. He told me I've got about 4 months left.

At that point I called our local Honda dealership and found out that their hybrid waiting time was about 4 months, so rather than asking American Express to "retrieve my deposit" I decided to be patient.

That was about 4 weeks ago, and this week I sent an email into the 2nd manager asking for an update. I'm still waiting for a reply.

I'm a gadget freak, and my round-trip commute is 150 miles, so the Prius is *the best car* for me. But the less than pleasant experience I've had with our local 'presidential award winning' dealership has got me very nearly ready to hand in the towel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Porky Pine said:
I've been waiting since November for just a #1 package!
Depending on where you live, you may be waiting essentially forever for a #1. In the Chicago Region, for example, the #1 basically doesn't exist: only the #3, #7 and #9. They very rarely get some others into the region, but most dealers 'round here don't even take orders for 'em...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been on the list at Alexandria Toyota (VA) since Feb 12th. The sales manager has told me my car was due to arrive on the docks at Newark, NJ yesterday and that they should have it within a week. I'm crossing my fingers that he's right...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been on the list at Claremont Toyota (CA) since April, and I've been told the shipping order, or something to that effect, happens on August 2nd.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I went into my dealer today and on consulting his list he showed me the status of my order. Its currently in production! Now this could be anywhere from the first bit of metal is about to be pressed to its rolling of the production line to the car park, more likely the former. Still, its on target for a mid september delivery. I asked him to send me an email when his list is updated and my status changes to on ship.

:p

·
Registered
73 Posts
My route home takes me by the Miller Toyota dealership in Culver City. On my way home last night I saw a vehicle delivery truck and it had 1 white Prius, 1 blue, and 1 black on it. Somewhere there are 3 more people with ear to ear Prius owner grins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
melgish said:
It was a sunny day in November when I test drove the 2004 Prius. I'll mention that the salesman I dealt with told me the flat out lie that the Prius could run for 50 MILES w/o any gas. We all know Toyota's word on that... After I went home, I had some questions so used the [email protected]{the dealership}.com to ask them. I never did get a reply.

I went back on January 8th, put $1000 down and got in line. I was originally told delivery would be some time in July...
No offence, melgish, but you made a big mistake continuing to have anything to do with that dealership.

All car dealerships fib. But the fib combined with the lack of any indication from them that they really want your business (e.g. responding to you in a timely fashion) would have been a great big danger signal to me.

In the end, as upset as I was with the idea of a 1-2 year wait list, I put my deposit down with the dealership I did not leastwise because the dealer I was speaking to answers my e-mail within 24 hours!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
no offense taken.

As for fibbing, there's a difference between stretching the truth about a vehicle and telling someone something that could end up damaging it.

As for using another dealership. I tried calling the Toyota Customer Care Center to see about getting my delivery transferred to another one. No luck there.

Less than 15 minutes after posting that message yesterday, I got a call from the "2nd" manager above... He's supposed to call me today with an exact delivery date. Could it be something i said ;-)

It's funny how short sighted these dealers are. Currently I own a '98 Saturn which just passed 'one light second' in miles (186,000 for the less technical) It's been back to the dealer every 3,000 for routine maintenance, and with my drive that's about once a month. My local dealer didn't lose the sale, but you can bet he's lost me as a service customer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My dealer, Hudiburg, in Oklahoma City stopped adding to and mostly maintaining a waiting list months ago due to difficulty of getting cars. We were "grandfathered" since we had been on the list so long and had convinced them of our intent. We put down our deposit in October '03 and took delivery 03July04. Got exactly what we asked for and got it at MSRP.

:D Pat :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
re: news from the waiting list

My dealer called just this last Sunday (July 18) and said my car would be arriving by the end of next week (it was on the boat) - I've been waiting since March 2nd so this will be 5 months for me!

Can't wait - I almost chose another color and pkg because I was getting worried about the wait time. I'm glad I stayed with my original choice tho and I'm getting exactly what I want - Tideland Pearl #9.

This has been a great source of information and I've been reading as much technical stuff as I can so I'll be prepared to use all the fun features. I realllly appreciate the information found at this site and would like to thank ALL the contributors! THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! I just got an IM from my wife....

MELGISH'S WIFE: "The Toyota guy called. He said he had a delivery date for the prius... I gave him your cell phone"

MELGISH: "Cool, When is it comming in?"

MELGISH'S WIFE: "He didn't tell me... I just told you I gave him your cell phone number"

·
Registered
73 Posts
:lol: I FEEL you melgish! That's awesome news, but now you have to make it the last mile of waiting. My stomach is in knots with anticipation, I get mine tomorrow.

Congrats!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to deal with the double-anticipation of not only getting my Prius, but of starting my freshman year in college two days later. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just learned that my black #7 is in... I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning, 161 days after putting down my deposit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wait is over! Picked mine up this morning. After 2.5 hours of paperwork and attempts to get me to switch to their financing, I drove away on a cloud. What a car! I think I'll sleep in it for the first week. :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 86 Posts