Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased an 05 Prius package 2 the other week. I have 500 miles on her so far and was wondering about the following. I have done a couple of searches, however, I figured that one or more of my fellow owners have the answers.

1. What are the tips and tricks to getting the most MPG out of this car...I have pumped up the air pressure in the tires and I will be converting to AMSoil synthetic once I feel the engine is sufficiently broken in but beyond that what are the tricks of the trade...?

2. What is the deal with that recall that every single person (a$$holes) that I have told about the car reminds me about....?

3. Are there any systems out there that allow for greater mileage....ie, extra batteries, switches that tell the Hybrid drive to use the battery more...?

4. Has anyone heard of a failed battery yet and if so how much was it if it was outside the mileage warranty...?

5. What parts do people typically need off them (I have access to a couple of wrecked ones)...?

Anybody from the DC area know about the HOV rescrictions being removed for 2006...?

7. Any problems I should be wary of...?

·
Registered
928 Posts
1. Check out John's Site, especially the Owner Advice 2 section.

2. Since you just bought yours, the recall probably doesn't apply (check sticker in door to verify that your car was made after March of 2005).

3. Switches to use the battery more exist, but only under a tiny number of circumstances do they increase mileage. Most users will end up decreasing mileage. Additional batteries have been custom installed by owners, but you have to be very good working with High Voltage, death or serious injury awaits otherwise. Even when well installed, they are not likely to be integrated into the body sufficiently to be safe in an accident.

4. Reports of this are extremely rare. "Unusual" circumstances (floods, accidents, faulty service) are the only things I've heard of.

5. I haven't noticed a trend in posts for your model. The previous generation sometimes needs a second accelerator pedal, but that's been fixed by design in your model.

6. ?

7. Follow scheduled service and monitor tire pressure, fluid levels, etc. (common sense care).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Blackhatch said:
I just recently purchased an 05 Prius package 2 the other week. I have 500 miles on her so far and was wondering about the following. I have done a couple of searches, however, I figured that one or more of my fellow owners have the answers.

1. What are the tips and tricks to getting the most MPG out of this car...I have pumped up the air pressure in the tires and I will be converting to AMSoil synthetic once I feel the engine is sufficiently broken in but beyond that what are the tricks of the trade...?

2. What is the deal with that recall that every single person (a$$holes) that I have told about the car reminds me about....?

3. Are there any systems out there that allow for greater mileage....ie, extra batteries, switches that tell the Hybrid drive to use the battery more...?

4. Has anyone heard of a failed battery yet and if so how much was it if it was outside the mileage warranty...?

5. What parts do people typically need off them (I have access to a couple of wrecked ones)...?

Anybody from the DC area know about the HOV rescrictions being removed for 2006...?

7. Any problems I should be wary of...?
1. Well the easy answer is pulse and glide. Drive so that you speed up to the limit or above if you feel comfortable and then lightly press on the peddle until you see no energy flow on the MFG until you get to a speed under the limit and repeat. Yes you have to wait until it is broken in to get the best millage.

2. Don't worry you are not included. It has already happened on your car.

3. The EV switch can in limited areas may help in increasing your milage. I would try a block heater first if you are in a cold climate.

4. I have heard of a G1 that had a poor battery at 250K + miles they replaced it with a "new" battery from a junk yard. This is just internet web site stuff! I can not confirm it

5. The battery or inverter but the battery needs special equipment to keep it in proper state. I would not do that.

6. So far it is just non hybrid people griping. Who knows where that will go?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am unsure as what is required to keep the battery in a stored state. I am guessing it is a bit more complicated than you standard battery tender. I figured I would ask to see what kind of parts are needed out there.

I really don't want to mess with it so if there is a minimal MPG increase with the EV switch....I am not going to mess with it.

I have been using the pulse and glide technique so far, however, traffic and impatient drivers in the DC area make it difficult. I have also noticed that you are just as good off if you just go ahead and accelerate at a moderate pace to the given speed rather than babying it up to that speed.

I just wonder that a second battery wired in series would supply the extra voltage that may make the EV switch a more worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Blackhatch said:
I just wonder that a second battery wired in series would supply the extra voltage that may make the EV switch a more worthwhile investment.
Actually, it's more the other way around. If you go to all the trouble and expense to add a second battery, you will need to make changes to the battery control system and the EV switch may be part of your strategy. So far, people who have done these projects have changed the control system by modifying sensors to "lie" to the existing computer programs. I don't believe anyone has figured out how to reprogram the computers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that I heard about guys getting like the first 100mpg out of the batteries out of some company in CA or something like that that had added a plug-in battery option to the Prius.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Blackhatch said:
Thanks for the replies. I am unsure as what is required to keep the battery in a stored state. I am guessing it is a bit more complicated than you standard battery tender. I figured I would ask to see what kind of parts are needed out there.

I really don't want to mess with it so if there is a minimal MPG increase with the EV switch....I am not going to mess with it.

I have been using the pulse and glide technique so far, however, traffic and impatient drivers in the DC area make it difficult. I have also noticed that you are just as good off if you just go ahead and accelerate at a moderate pace to the given speed rather than babying it up to that speed.

You cannot place a battery tender on the HV battery. In fact, when the vehicle is off the HV battery is totally disconnected from the vehicle via a series of relays. You can hear them clicking on when you power up and off when you turn the car off. Some folks have had good luck putting a battery tender on the 12v aux battery, however I don't recommend doing it. The HV system, through the buck/boost converter, takes HV power and drops it to 12v for the rest of the vehicle's cabin electrics and for charging the 12v aux battery. I don't believe that package 2 has smart key, so there is not much you can do to reduce the standby draw on the 12v battery. If your vehicle had smartkey there would be a small switch on the driver's side knee panel directly down from the steering column. You could turn off smart key at that point and that would reduce draw on the 12v aux battery when the car is off.

If you anticipate having a lengthy storage time, be sure to start the car once every 30 days for about 30 minutes so the vehicle can tend its own batteries.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Actually, there is one area where standby power can be reduced. Be sure your headlights are fully off, and not in auto (for Canada) and not auto off, that is, on, but automatically turned off by powering off and opening the driver door.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've had my car since February and am approaching my second oil change. In the last month I've noticed that I'm getting substantially better mileage -- 48 rather than 43 for my regular commute. Some of this is attributable to much lower usage of the A/C, but I suspect there is a break-in effect as well.

I know I could do better if I drove the speed limit or lower on the freeway, but this is rarely a safe option! I do occasionally try to "glide" but there is only one section of my commute where this is really possible, there is too much slope everywhere else. I also notice a slight improvement when I use the cruise control at freeway speed, but it is such a hassle to do so in dense traffic I rarely do.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"I just wonder that a second battery wired in series would supply the extra voltage that may make the EV switch a more worthwhile investment."

This would fry the system. You want to wire them in parallel so yo have more current and energy capacity, not more voltage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my package 2 has the smart key option and my light automatically turn off if the car is powered off and the door is opened. I normally just turn them off anyway before I power down the car.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My friend, who encouraged me to buy a Prius, has a 2002 which had a battery replacement. I believe she had a problem starting the car, the dealer wasn't sure what the source of her problem was after hours of probing, so the battery was replaced under warranty. Since then, no problems and she's still a strong advocate for the Prius. This was at least a year before all the "stalling" problems surfaced in the news.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Which battery? What was the starting symptom? If the car has issues going to Ig-On, that can't be an HV battery issue, but going to READY might.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I really can't remember the whole story, DanMan. I believe it was the hybrid battery because when I told her that I'd read online that no hybrid batteries had ever been replaced, she corrected me. I'll try to get the specifics and report back.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, yes there was a report even on this site of a classic needing a new battery after 250K miles. Symptoms included poor acceleration and efficiency.

·
Registered
919 Posts
OK, I didn't remember that. My friend's only had a few thousand miles on hers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts