Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered by new 06 Prius for January delivery. My question to Prius owners/drivers is this: what is the ONE most important thing you would tell the owner of a new Prius?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Just drive it, and don't worry about how much different it functions.

.... Unless you want to because you're curious.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Don't run over anyone!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Change your screen name.

·
Registered
269 Posts
On a seriuos note though....Don't run out of GAS! :shock: ask DanMan! In other words don't trust the gas guage "blocks". 8)

Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Watch the road. It is easy to be distracted by all that goes on the MFD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Learn how to adjust and use your side view mirrors. The view out the back is for s#@*.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Truly a big deal!!

melgish said:
Don't run over anyone!
This is so true!! Between the visibility and the fact that you are silent when backing up I am probably most afraid of running someone over!!

In general though, read the damn manual just this once cause it is all in there. Then come to the forum and try to find out how many things you can change.....

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you like music, add a subwoofer.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
On a seriuos note though....Don't run out of GAS! :shock: ask DanMan! In other words don't trust the gas guage "blocks". 8)

Enjoy your car!
Hey! Not you too! Joining Hyp in ganging up on me?
Anyway, it wasn't due to a crazy gas guage that I ran out. I knew I was pushing it too far.
However lately it has been appearing to read lower than it is. Still, I don't intend on going further than 50 miles on a blinking pip.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned this. Gas mileage will generally be low when you first get the car. That is due to numerous factors, lower than optimal tire pressure, driving habits, tight vehicle. But weather, driving patterns and commute or travel duration will have a huge effect on mileage, up or down.

In general, the colder the weather is, the lower the mileage, but even in warm weather mileage can be low if your commute is short and the vehicle doesn't get up to operating temperature properly.

Some folks get EPA numbers, however most of us do not. Do not be surprised if you don't get EPA numbers, their tests are not realistic with regard to actual driving conditions today. However, the tests are consistent and as such they do allow you to compare relative FE between vehicles that you might be looking at.

When you get your car first thing you should do is raise your tire pressure to something higher than the label say. I do 40 front 38 rear. Some use higher pressure. What is important is that the front tires are 2lbs higher than the rear. Start there and then work on your driving technique.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts