Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought a Red 2007 Prius last Saturday. We were totally not planning to buy a car at all, not to mention a Prius. We have a 1991 Corolla LE sedan which we love and bought from the original owner in 2001 with only 66,000 miles on it. I had just put new Michelins on it at Costco and was stopping by the local Toyota dealer to make an appointment to have the tires aligned. Then instead of getting back into the car and driving off, I thought it would be fun to walk around the lot for a few minutes to see some new Camry's. My wife will start commuting by car to work as her company is moving farther away and bus transportation isn't as good, and we decided that she should have a car with airbags. SHE decided she wanted a new car, and a new Toyota at that, but we wouldn't buy one until next year. She thought a Camry would be nice, the Corolla being too small and our friends have a 2004 and she didn't want to have the same car as them, yeah whatever!

So we're walking around the lot looking at the Camry's and not feeling too excited. Then we turn around and here's a nice looking red Prius sitting there with some people hovering over it. We go over to look at it and it's unlocked. Cool! I'd never crawled around inside of one and readily sat down in the drivers seat. Hmmm, pretty nice! Anyway, we ended up buying it and taking it home that day. Wonderful car, a joy to drive. Makes the 1991 Corolla seem pretty ancient, though we're keeping it and selling my 1991 Honda Civic Wagon.

I'm going to disable the reverse beep this weekend thanks to some posts online on how to do it. Hate that sound. Other than that, 88 miles and 43.1mpg average so far!!

Dave
Seattle, WA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Congrats on the Barcelona beauty and a new experience in driving! Hopefully you'll end up as satisfied (more than satisfied!) with your Prius as I have been with mine. I took it through a self-serve car wash yesterday and then my wife and I went out to dinner. We sat in a window seat where I had a view of the parked Prius. The street lighting made it glow in the dark. Despite having 26,000 miles, I still don't take it for granted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanMan32 said:
Since you were able to get it same day, did you end up paying over MSRP? Many dealers are still doing this.
Yes, we did pay more than MSRP. It was my wife's decision to buy that day, though I wanted to buy it too. It was the only new one on the lot, and we liked red more than other colors. Certainly we could have waited and saved some money. We both feel satisfied even though we could have saved $1000-1500 or so on the final price. The car is simply amazing to drive. I like the design too.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rpm said:
congrats and welcome to the forum! don't forget you have a tax credit coming!

rpm
Yes, this tax credit will be super. I use TurboTax and assume that it will tell me what I need to submit to claim the credit? Sadly we could have done better had we purchased in September, but still no complaints!!

Dave

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dave07Prius said:
rpm said:
congrats and welcome to the forum! don't forget you have a tax credit coming!

rpm
Yes, this tax credit will be super. I use TurboTax and assume that it will tell me what I need to submit to claim the credit? Sadly we could have done better had we purchased in September, but still no complaints!!

Dave
nothing to submit. you just claim in on your 1040 somewhere. TurboTax should prompt you. It may not know the correct credit amount, though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't forget to have the dealer show you where to insert the hand crank (or check your owner's manual).

It's stored next to the spare tire, and is used to 'jump charge' the traction battery, in case it goes dead and you're away from an electrical outlet...
[laughing]

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
When my friend and I took his minivan to sams club, we spotted a parked Prius. I was hoping to catch the owner and give him/her a hard time with stuff like, "do you have to plug it in?", then when they say no, point to the cap in the front bumper and comment "I thought I read you plug it in the socket behind that."

Stuff like that. My friend thought he was too much of an influence on me. He would do stuff like that.

Didn't catch the owner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DanMan32 said:
When my friend and I took his minivan to sams club, we spotted a parked Prius. I was hoping to catch the owner and give him/her a hard time with stuff like, "do you have to plug it in?", then when they say no, point to the cap in the front bumper and comment "I thought I read you plug it in the socket behind that."

Stuff like that. My friend thought he was too much of an influence on me. He would do stuff like that.

Didn't catch the owner.
Yeah I think a plug in would be a neat idea, only the battery seems to stay one blip below fully charged most of the time in mine. Weird that front port for towing, I don't get that.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.