Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has to be a logical explanation for this. Some of my family and friends live in NJ and I live in NY. I frequently gas up in NJ (avg $.020 cheaper) and ALWAYS get 4-5 mpg better than when I fill up in NY. At the pumps in NY it says 10% methanol. Can this be the reason why my mileage is suffering? If so, why the heck does NY have to have a different formula that LOWERS gas mileage? That makes no sense to me. Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always thought the lower cost for fuel in Jersey was becuase of lower taxes at the pump. NJ was the corporate headquarters for a number of fuel companies (not sure if this is still true) and there are a lot of fuel related businesses (think about Elizabeth near Newark airport) so the state government gave better tax treatment on gas sales than New York.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think I found at one time the state tax in Georgia was twenty cents a gallon less than those of Tennesee. Gas fuels diluted with methanol supposedly burn cleaner. I believe it's "political"

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mark Prius said:
If so, why the heck does NY have to have a different formula that LOWERS gas mileage? That makes no sense to me. Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated.
I can't say for sure... but I suspect it has something to do with pollution? I mean, have you been to NY? :)

Try driving thru Manhattan during rush hour (ok, try sitting in traffic in Manhattan during rush hour) with your windows open and then try driving thru, oh... let's say Newark, with your windows open, during rush hour. Notice any difference in smells?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Gee, I was just up in NY back in July, both in NYC and upstate (Lake George area). Didn't notice the gas had methanol.

That was pre-prius days. Even if it was prius days, wouldn't have been able to drive it up there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts