Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to this forum and would really appreciate input from all of you Prius owners. A little background first.

My wife and I purchased a 2004 Toyota Tundra double cab 4X4 last year after having moved to CA. We thought we would be able to use the Tundra in the mountains of CA in the winter with the 4X4 option coming in handy during the winter months when we wanted to go skiing. We ended up using it a couple of times. The Tundra has been nicknamed "Big Gulp" because of the poor gas milage we get in it. Last weekend we drove to the coast and spent $75.00 in gas! The Tundra is hard to park in tight spaces and it is hard to see out the back window because in part of how high you are compared to other cars. Well, you all know where this is leading.

We took an '05 Prius for a test drive today(10/9/04) and fell in love with it. Our other car is a '99RAV AWD which we still love. Our thoughts are now to trade in "Big Gulp" for a Prius.

I would appreciate any input from anyone who can help us to decide on whether the Prius is a good car to have. I've read allot of the posts on this forum already, but am very interested in hearing from anyone who has a Prius out here in CA who has driven their Prius in the CA mountains in the winter and what their experience has been. I'm really tempted to trade in both of our cars for two Prius, but with the AWD the RAV has, it may be the better car to hang onto for those winter trips up the mountains.

Thank you all for your help and input in helping us to decide on a Prius.

·
Registered
397 Posts
JD said:
... I've read allot of the posts on this forum already, but am very interested in hearing from anyone who has a Prius out here in CA who has driven their Prius in the CA mountains in the winter and what their experience has been. I'm really tempted to trade in both of our cars for two Prius, but with the AWD the RAV has, it may be the better car to hang onto for those winter trips up the mountains.
JD,
Welcome to the board. Last winter there were several threads discussing how the Prius handles winter driving conditions--a quick search should find something. Personally, I switched from an AWD Subaru and have been very pleased with the way the Prius handles on snow and ice. I volunteer with a ski/snowboard school and even using the Prius' standard OEM tires I only needed to chain up once last season. Others here have reported great traction improvements by switching to different all-terrain tires or snow tires. (Another search should give you plenty of info). If you like to beat the snowplows up the slopes you may find that the Prius has too little ground clearance to overcome one of Tahoe's epic 20" dumps, but, if you're an experienced winter driver, you should do well once the drifts have been pushed aside.

Below is a photo showing my Prius amidst a sea of Tundra's and such. BTW, that's the front row I'm in--not too far behind the snowplows. ;-)

Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do it!!

I'm not in CA, but I drive my Prius everywhere here on the east coast. I've been over the mountains, around the mountains, dirt roads, to the beach, etc. I love it!

Keep in mind that mountain driving will kill your high gas mileage, and bring it down to mere "ok" levels (as in 30 or so). But going down the mountains will be a rush as you watch it get 100+mpg for however long it takes to get down the mountain... Woooohooo!!!! I love that.

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
181 Posts
well if you are here asking for an opinion, you must want a very biased opinion because you have already decided to get a Prius and you want validation.

ok... i'll do it.

forget the mpg's although they are enormous

forget the money you will save on gas (although that savings is getting much bigger)

forget the cutting edge technology and the fact that you would be one of the first in what will become a major watershed event in the auto industry.

If you will be happy with a good mid-sized sedan that is most likely very well engineered by one the best in the business. add to that, extended warantees designed to put at ease people's trepidation over the new unknown technology. then you may be very pleased you decided to get a Prius.

if that doesnt work. let me say that my decision to buy a Prius is the 2nd best decision i have ever made.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't worry about being bored with the slowness of the car, though you can be out-run by a minivan. I am going to buy a silver BC 05 in spring 05. If you want to go fast get a supersport bike (great mpg too!) or a import to have as a weekend warrior. My weekend wariors are the Mitsubishi Evolution 8, Yamaha YZF 600r, and Yamaha R1. If I drive slow all the time, I'm keeping all of that Need for Speed inside, and may be temped to drive fast with the Prius. Then robbing the Pruis of great gas mileage. The Pruis is a great daily driver. But if you need to get all of that anger out, then get a weekend warior.

·
Registered
73 Posts
buying a prius

DaveinOlyWA said:
well if you are here asking for an opinion, you must want a very biased opinion because you have already decided to get a Prius and you want validation.

ok... i'll do it.

forget the mpg's although they are enormous

forget the money you will save on gas (although that savings is getting much bigger)

forget the cutting edge technology and the fact that you would be one of the first in what will become a major watershed event in the auto industry.

If you will be happy with a good mid-sized sedan that is most likely very well engineered by one the best in the business. add to that, extended warantees designed to put at ease people's trepidation over the new unknown technology. then you may be very pleased you decided to get a Prius.

if that doesnt work. let me say that my decision to buy a Prius is the 2nd best decision i have ever made.
I'll second all of this.

Except I'm curious what the best decision was??? :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts