Toyota Prius Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Hep said:
Like Sanny, the old Goodyears are getting a bit slippery
Hey Hep, want to clarify that? Not sure if you mean Sanny's tires are getting slippery, or if SHE is getting slippery.
At least I didn't suggest she was going bald. :lol:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hep said:
DanMan32 said:
Hep said:
Hey Hep, want to clarify that? Not sure if you mean Sanny's tires are getting slippery, or if SHE is getting slippery.
Oh my! :shock:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sanny said:
Hep said:
DanMan32 said:
Hep said:
Oh my! :shock:
It never fails. You're talking about somebody and they are standing right behind you at the time.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
hyperion said:
I'm still waiting for the post with "I just replaced my OEM Integreties with a new set, and my milage improved!"
Haven't seen this yet but believe that I have seen "the milage remains the same."
Well, I'll give it to you...
"I just replaced my OEM Integreties with a new set, and my milage improved!"
Ok, so it's actually been about 25k miles since I replaced them with Michelin HydroEdges, and my mileage didn't improve until I had them on for about 3000 miles. But my mileage is better. Not that I attribute the improvement to the tires (I attribute it to the use of CAN-View to modify my driving style for a slight edge in efficiency), but my mileage has improved from the Integrity days.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm still waiting for the post with "I just replaced my OEM Integrities with a new set, and my mileage improved!"
Haven't seen this yet but believe that I have seen "the mileage remains the same."
I'll second efusco. I replaced the Integrity OEMs at 45,000 miles with Michelin MXV4+ tires (same size). My MPG improved a little with the most noticeable improvement in cold weather (about 1-2 MPG). I'm now at 74,000 miles and very pleased with my purchase.

The attached Excel spreadsheet shows my experience to date. Judge for yourself.

JeffD

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
OK, I gotta agree with Hyperion on this issue. I replaced the OEM tires on my '04 at 63k miles, with some tread left. I put on the OEM Integritys, and noticed no change in fuel mileage. I run my tires around 36-38 psi, checking them a couple of times per month at minimum, and rotations every 5k miles. I think that I can reasonably expect the same service out of the OEM Integrities on my '06. Could there be a quieter, softer riding tire? I'm sure there is, but I am relying on the experience of the Toyota engineers in selecting tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I switched to Prielli's, not racing tires, but the name sounds like they are! They handle really well, a big improvement over the OEM's. I increase the air pressure to 42/40. I still seem to get the same mileage.

In winter I use Dunlop Graspic winter tires. What a BIG improvement in snow! Also raise the air pressure. There is about a 3-5 mpg decrease, but the handling improvement is worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Goodyear Comfortred versus Michelin Hydroedge Tires

Whoops! I posted this as a new topic and probably should have been here. My 04 needs a new set of tires, only 37,000 on the Integrities but the dealer told me they would not pass inspection which is coming up in Feb.
I like the Michelin Hydroedge and know a couple of you have had good experiences with them. Problem is I look at other web sites and they are slammed quite a bit for road noise. The Comfortred scores much higher in this area and very close to the Hydroedge in other areas, of course they are rated for 80k not 90k of tred life but most people that have them seem to make a point of saying how quiet they are and how they smooth the road out. Here in Western NC we have very poor roads, the interstates are in poor shape. So..... looking for advice from those of you that have the Comfortred or the Hydroedge.
I realize that tire inflation plays a large part (run the OEM at 42/40). and of course while not a deciding factor, the Michelins are about $108.00 more expensive for a set of 4.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Michelin HydroEdge Tires

Costco and many other tire dealers are offering $60 off a set of 4 Michelins. This offer has been available off and on for the past couple of years. Now, they are only about $50 more.

I'd get the Michelins -- you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mileage with Assurance Comfortred

When we replaced our Integrities (39/37) at 42K miles with Assurance Comfortred (39/37), we lost about 3MPG. But after about 3K miles the mileage improved 5-6MPG. With lower tire pressure, mileage drops. For the summer of 2008 (when we needed it) we averaged over 50MPG, which made us happy. Overall mileage for 47K miles is 44.96MPG. Update 04/2010: Overall mileage for 60K miles is 45.0.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bigger Tires or lowered will help a ton. Still doesnt look that bad though. I bet it feels faster like you threw lower gears in the axle. Has the gas mileage changed much?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check tire rack - they can tell you different weights of tires - you'd be surprised at the differences - and which are low rolling resistance tires. I hear good things about the Michelins.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads are still going strong and mileage is gradually improving as we approach 70K miles. I run 38-40F, 36-38R. There is little apparent wear. 48mpg is not unusual with lifetime average of 45+mpg.

Bridgestone now sells a LRR tire, the ECOPIA.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts