Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Prius with about 45,000 miles on it. It had Goodyear Integrity tires when I bought it; on average I got 40 mpg with them doing a combo of freeway and street driving. However on trips we got about 43 on average.
I just tried Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus tires and like the handling, but the mpg has gone down to about 38. On a recent trip it was even as low as 35 mpg. I'm debating trying different tires.

Any ideas? THanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look for Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires.

I put Michelin MXV4+ Energy Saving tires on my 04 at 45,000 miles. They handle better, have better traction ang even slightly better MPG than the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires. I run them at 42/40 PSI as I did the OEMs. My Prius is now at 64,000 miles and the treadwear looks OK for replacement at about 90,000 to 100,000 miles (about 45,000 to 55,000 on the Michelins).

Others have had good results with Nokian i3 tires (if you can find them). One indication that a tire is LRR is the use of Organo-Silicates to replace some of the Carbon Black in the rubber compound.

JeffD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Hi Jeff. Thank you for your tire information. I checked on Tire Rack for the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus and they aren't very highly rated, which surprised me. I'll talk to my tire guy in the morning about them anyway.

Any body else have any input on tires? I am interested in a balance between mpg and decent handling and comfort; I am a bit disappointed with the Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus in terms of mpg but love the handling, set at stock pressure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm about ready to get new tires for my 2005 after about 35,000 miles. I've pretty much decided on Goodyear Viva 2's. They are a Walmart-specific tire. I usually get my tires at Costco, but they've got an extremely limited selection. I've had good experiences at Walmart when doing tire repairs and rotation/balances.

The Viva 2's come with a 60K warranty from Walmart and are described as a "reduced rolling resistance" tire, which I'm assuming means LRR. The tires cost about $55 ea., so it's quite a difference compared to Hydroedges.

Now: If I could only decide between 185 or 195.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
And of course you have to figure that Toyota did a lot more testing than a few individual owners who have just changed tire brands, before choosing the Goodyear Integrities for the Prius.
Then again, tires are a personal choice as is oil. I do find 5,000 mile tire rotations a complete surprise after never having done them below 20,000 miles on any previous car I have owned but then Toyota recognizes their suspension systems and I expect it is smart to follow their procedures for reasonable tire life.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've read perhaps 5-10 reports from Prius owners that the mileage will improve once the tires are "broken in". Wait a while to see if this happens for you, if you can.

·
Registered
215 Posts
As I've stated here before-- on Michelin's website they say that rolling resistance improves about 25% through the life of the tire, so you will likely see a drop in gas mileage with most new tires as compared to your baldies.

PA P

·
Registered
584 Posts
blue meanie said:
I have a 2004 Prius with about 45,000 miles on it. It had Goodyear Integrity tires when I bought it; on average I got 40 mpg with them doing a combo of freeway and street driving. However on trips we got about 43 on average.
I just tried Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus tires and like the handling, but the mpg has gone down to about 38. On a recent trip it was even as low as 35 mpg. I'm debating trying different tires.

Any ideas? THanks.
Like some noted, the tires may 'wear in' after a few thousand miles. I too switched to a 'better' tire - Yokohama Avids - and lost some mpg for about 3000 miles, now I am back to normal...

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: I'm not sure about California, but in Texas we are now on 10% ethanol blend in our gasolene which reduces the available energy in gasolene, thus a reduction in MPGs would be expected, in addition, and with now 36+ days over 100º MPGs are reduced by constant use of the AC.

Combine those with new tires (requiring breakin to wear the moulding pips on the tire tread - and sharp edges on the tread design)... I believe reduced MPGs would be expected.

·
Registered
992 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
:roll: I'm not sure about California, but in Texas we are now on 10% ethanol blend in our gasolene which reduces the available energy in gasolene, thus a reduction in MPGs would be expected, in addition, and with now 36+ days over 100º MPGs are reduced by constant use of the AC.

Combine those with new tires (requiring breakin to wear the moulding pips on the tire tread - and sharp edges on the tread design)... I believe reduced MPGs would be expected.
I'm pretty sure we have an ethenol blend here.. but don't see the stickers noting it very often. As far as the summer heat goes.. when we had the high heat roll in I lost 3-5mpg during those few weeks.. (100*F+).

·
Registered
85 Posts
i really wonder if tires make that much difference.
i had integrities when i got my 2001 classic and achived about 47mpg's

then i went for another expensive "lrr" type tire falken and they also lasted
6 months (they were quiet and handled great though) and i once
again got about 48mpg's

the set i currently have are cheap uniroyal tiger paw and they will
last at least a year (bought in december and still lots of tread)
and i'm getting 55mpgs for 5 months (30000km)
they are not rated lrr as far as i know

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Wow, av_in_bc,

Are you really say'g that 2 sets of tires have only lasted you, at most, 6 months for each set & that you expect your better current set to last just a year (better, but still not great)?

Just how many tens of thousands of miles do you drive in a year anyway?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
av_in_bc said:
i really wonder if tires make that much difference.
i had integrities when i got my 2001 classic and achived about 47mpg's
I take it that you decided to try the Goodyear Integrity tires on your Classic Prius after the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE92 XL tires wore out?

What was your decision process for changing to each of your tires? What size did you get, to keep the proper load rating? What was the exact model Falken, so that we can stay away from it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ct. Ken V said:
how many miles do you drive in a year?
Ken (in Bolton,Ct)
this is a courier car so lots of stops and 95% city/downtown driving
37938 miles last year
about 23000 miles so far this year

also i made a mistake on my post i never had integrity tires i meant
to say the potenza that came with the car (they were used as was the car
and lasted maybe 2 months)

dear mrv
not much of a decision process for changing tires i'm afraid.
i changed to the FALKEN ZE-51282H because they were one of only
two tires that fit that the seller had and they looked good (pretty shallow he) and were very well reviewed

then my current uniroyal were bought because i got stuck in a freak
snowstorm on my way to work with my bald falkens and was lucky enough to find a tire shop open before 7am right when i needed it and once again all he had were two types that fit so i went with the longer lasting ones even though i assumed it would mean a decrease in fuel economy. i was getting tired tired of changing
and buying and rotating tires.

sorry but i don't know what "keep the proper load rating?" means.
if it's something to do with tire pressure these are rated for
maximum 35psi but i still squeeze 46/44
i guess it sounds strange but it's working
and the tires are wearing out evenly, now whether they would last
even longer if i didn't have so much air pressure, i don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE92 XL tires, in the P175/65 R14 size, has a load rating of 84 and a speed rating of S.

Going through the flash-y falkentire.com site, the Falken ZEIX 512 tire in the P175/65 R14 size has a load rating of 82 (lower than the OEMs) and a speed rating of H (better than the OEMs).
http://www.falkentire.com/ziex512_sizes.html
I assume that this is the size that you purchased, as you did include "82H" in the name of the tire. If you had gone with the wider 185/65 R14 version of the same tire, it would've had the increased load rating of 86, though.

unfortunately, Uniroyal has many different model tires under the Tiger Paw name, so I do not know exactly which model you have. The Uniroyal tire selector does know the size and speed/load rating on the 2001 Prius OEMs, and claims that they do not have a tire to fit it.
http://www.uniroyal.com/toolkit/advisor/vehicle.html

(for example, for the Nokian WRs I put on my Classic, I didn't get the P175/65 R14 size, as the load rating was a low 82. I didn't order the XL (86 load) version, as I had no specs on it. Instead I ordered the wider P185/65 R14 tires, as they fit and have a load rating of 86.
http://www.nokiantire.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6 )

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok
the paw says "81S" on it, i guess that's the load and speed rating?
and it also says "max load 1019lbs"
and "max 35lbs psi"

and before anyone considers this tire because
i'm getting good mileage with it
it is not a good tire
noisy ride, average handling at best
i probably will not buy these again

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
My Fiery Orb in the Sky dealer gave me a warning when I asked to upgrade the tires to ComfortTread Assurance. "You're going to get poor mileage and the tires won't last as long". I told him it's just a car as far as the tires are concerned, and the comforttreads are in the same class as the integrities. If anything, I said, there have been reports of premature wear on the integrities, and no reports of unusual wear problems on the Comforttreads.
Then he admitted he didn't have long term tire experience with the new version of the Prius.

Why do these dealers talk out of a different orifice on their anatomy than they ought? First the coolant, now this?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts