Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a new TSB that was released on Wed. 4-20-05. Some customers with 2004 or 2005 model year Prius vehicles may experience an
internal inverter coolant leak resulting in a M.I.L. “ON” condition with DTC P3009 and Information Codes 526 and 614 (inverter/converter assembly). The inverter/converter assembly has been improved to prevent this condition. I have only seen this code one time. I don't think we as a large group of Prius Owners will see very many of these inverters going out. Rick have you had the opportunity to replace one yet. The first one took half the day. So your dealers won't want to do this TSB unless it has to be done. The second time I had one off was to replace a Brake Actuator. So I'm hoping the next one I have to do I can do it in 2hrs.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
For some of us non-techie Prius owners, what does "M.I.L. “ON” condition with DTC P3009 and Information Codes 526 and 614" mean and how does it show up to the driver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Kyle Pehrson said:
-...Some customers with 2004 or 2005 model year Prius vehicles may experience an internal inverter coolant leak resulting in a M.I.L. “ON” condition with DTC P3009 and Information Codes 526 and 614 (inverter/converter assembly). ....
HORRORS!! The Mother In Law in the ON condition all the time? Someone's gotta FIX that one! :shock: :shock: At least it only takes half a day to reverse... For some folks, it takes a lifetime...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
firepa63 said:
For some of us non-techie Prius owners, what does "M.I.L. ON condition with DTC P3009 and Information Codes 526 and 614" mean and how does it show up to the driver?
Page 5 of the 2004 Prius Owner's Manual shows various indicator symbols. One is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (M.I.L.), better known as the yellow Check Engine light.

If you get the light, go to your dealer, and they'll use their scantool to talk to the computers to pull the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka error codes) that indicate what the fault is that triggered the light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
mrv said:
Page 5 of the 2004 Prius Owner's Manual shows various indicator symbols. One is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (M.I.L.), better known as the yellow Check Engine light.
Thanks Michele, that Mother-in-Law thing scared the hell out of me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
The MIL is the triangle of doom. The Check Engine Light is the C.E.L, and it is usually less serious, dealing with the efficiency and emissions of ICE.

And, in case it wasn't read, this condition is covered under the 8/100 warranty, as it is a possible inverter defect. The inverter is one of the components covered under the 8/100.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The MIL is the triangle of doom. The Check Engine Light is the C.E.L, and it is usually less serious, dealing with the efficiency and emissions of ICE.

And, in case it wasn't read, this condition is covered under the 8/100 warranty, as it is a possible inverter defect. The inverter is one of the components covered under the 8/100.
No, check your owner's manual, page 5. The red triangle with the exclamation point is the "Master Warning Light," and the yellow check engine light is the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Dan, the "triangle of doom" as you call it is just a "master warning light". As far as I can tell, it's a signal to check a more detailed error message or indicator on the MFD (which may may serious, or might just be telling you to shut the door). Not what they're talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
So, what exactly is the problem? Where does the leak occur? Where
does the leaking coolant show up -- inside the inverter, or
off the bottom of it, or what? How is the leakage
condition sensed? Is there anything to examine
to determine the likelihood that the problem would occur in a given
car? etc etc ... how 'bout some real-life details...
_
_H*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
KMO said:
Dan, the "triangle of doom" as you call it is just a "master warning light". As far as I can tell, it's a signal to check a more detailed error message or indicator on the MFD (which may may serious, or might just be telling you to shut the door). Not what they're talking about.
Thanks, Kyle straigtened me out on that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Hobbit said:
So, what exactly is the problem? Where does the leak occur? Where
does the leaking coolant show up -- inside the inverter, or
off the bottom of it, or what? How is the leakage
condition sensed? Is there anything to examine
to determine the likelihood that the problem would occur in a given
car? etc etc ... how 'bout some real-life details...
_
_H*
The inverter has its own cooling system. The inverter is that big box on the driver's side of the engine compartment that controls power to the two electric motors, the A/C compressor, and replaces the conventional alternator to provide 12V to the car. Just like in an engine, a leak can develop internally. In the case of an engine, that would mean coolant getting into cylinders or oil, or even short out a spark plug as has happened to me with my '92 nissan (had 240K on that thing!)
With the inverter, the electronics short out. Sensors detect a problem and set a DTC. DTC P3009 is indeed designated as high voltage short circuit. If you wanted to know what shorted out, there is an INF or 'subcode' that would state what has shorted out.

Actually, according to the repair manual, MIL (or CEL as I prefer it) is not lit, but Master Warning Light (the big bad red triangle) is lit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
New TSB - cause of "crash"?

I had posted last week in another area about how our '04 prius will die when accelerating. As it turned out we did not have the US TSB EG047-04 done , but had the brake light switch recall around that time...
Anyway, we had the latest computer update done last Friday and today we had another "crash" where the car died (loses the ICE altogether and limps along until you can turn it off for a few minutes) - again when accelerating from a stop, with the A/C on but no headlights - and lost all power, pulled over and turned the car off.
The only difference this time was that the big red warning triangle did not go off after restarting the car. Went straight to the Toyota dealer and they could not get any warning codes or information off of the computer - even with the big red warning triangle still on!
At this point the car is at the dealer until they can figure this out, just saw this posting and it seems like it could be the related - does anyone know if the "leak" could cause the car to die or crash like they've been doing?
Will post any reply that we get from the dealer - I really hope they can fix this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
First off, any condition that can light that big bad triangle HAS to set a DTC, so the dealer is not doing something right.

Second, if they don't get a DTC, then this new TSB doesn't apply (yet), as a specific set of codes dealing with the inverter would be set off.

But you indicated that you lost performance, but were able to limp along, which indicates the inverter is still functioning, providing controlled power at least to MG2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Prius Crashing cont...

First off, any condition that can light that big bad triangle HAS to set a DTC, so the dealer is not doing something right.
Well, they were not able to pull a DTC code off of the car, while it was on and while the big bad triangle was lit (my husband personally witnessed this) - so yeah - I'm CERTAIN that they're not doing a lot of things right... did I mention that every time we've had it serviced, they rotate the tires but fail to properly set or even check the tire pressure? I know they say you can't get good service in AZ, but they fail to do it even after we've mentioned it to them twice!

Maybe the obvious question is: why is the computer failing to show a DTC when there's definitely something wrong...

If there's still a Prius Master Tech. on here - any insights would be greatly appreciated!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Try another dealer. You have several trips before DTCs clear, unless THEY cleared it.

There's a few techs on PriusChat, and Kyle has visited this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
I've personally experienced the big red triangle, limp home mode engaged, then normal restart. Upon going in for a check-up no codes of significance showed up. (only very old unrelated ones of no concern)

The DTC system is not perfect, is not infallible, and does NOT always record a DTC.

FWIW, I haven't had a problem since and the only change made was adding the weather sealer strip under the hood when that SSC came out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had one that came in this week that I had found no codes in I am still investagating. Thanks for the heads up I will let you know what I find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Inverter Failure

We just experienced an inverter failure on our 2004 with 10K+ miles. Took two days to diagnose and will take another 2-3 days to get the new one in and replaced.

:(
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top