·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
clett said:
Subaru are using their own "new type of manganese lithium ion battery that charges to 95 per cent capacity in five minutes and operates not just in city driving but also when cruising."

http://www.askaprice.com/torque-article.asp?article=Subaru_shows_high-performance_hybrid&item=447

Don't GM own a big chunk of Subaru? Sounds to me like they could have access to a pretty good hybrid battery.
Well, with only a 10kW motor, they don't NEED much battery capacity. "...and operates not just in city driving but also when cruising."?? What FUD. I use electric-only often on my local freeways, at speeds up to 60 MPH. (Yes, I have seen only battery->motor->wheel arrows at 60MPH.)

Sounds to me to be at BEST, an 'assist' hybrid like Honda's older ones. At worst, it might be only a 'Belt Starter-Alternator Hybrid'.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound like they will be running a very Honda-like system, with a small electric motor providing torque assist at low revs but not much in the way of power at higher revs. I did note that they will be going with a Prius-like Miller cycle, however, using the electric motor to make up for the lost torque at low revs.

Makes me wonder why Honda don't already use a Miller cycle in their hybrids? Pride? But the main news is still the battery, which it seems Toyota also want a part of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts