Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my new 2006 Silver base model Prius in the next week or so. I can't wait!

I am curious, has anyone tinted the windows in their Prius? And if so, would you recommend it? I am afraid the visibility will decrease. Since, I have not owned one before I am not sure. I have heard there are some visibility problems out the back of the vehicle.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
CASSIEANDRA said:
I am getting my new 2006 Silver base model Prius in the next week or so. I can't wait!
Congratulations! I just got a call myself from the dealership saying mine is on the dock, and will be delivered and configured in 29 days!

CASSIEANDRA further said:
I am curious, has anyone tinted the windows in their Prius? And if so, would you recommend it? I am afraid the visibility will decrease. Since, I have not owned one before I am not sure. I have heard there are some visibility problems out the back of the vehicle.
I had a 2002 Prius that I put the darkest metallic tint that was legal in Texas on it. There is going to be some reduced visibility, but not enough to really hamper your driving, in my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have heard there are some visibility problems out the back of the vehicle.
CONGRATS on you new Prius - I know you will love it!! :D

The degree of visibility problem also depends on what you are driving now. I drove a F-150 club cab long wheel base with a cap, and my rear visibility was comparable to just the top portion of the Prius rear window.

For me, the visibility is improved due to the lower window. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Prius off the lot last Friday, and just got it back from the tint shop today. I had 35% tint installed on all windows (except the windshield) and can see out of it without any problem, even at night. As a comparison, I had 35% tint on the front door windows and 20% tint (which is darker than the 35%) on the rear door and back windows of my 2002 Camry. The 20% tint was a little difficult to see out of at night and caused me some concern whenever I had to back up. (Of course, that might not be a concern now that we have back-up cameras!) I'll try and post some pictures of the Prius this Saturday so you can get an idea of what it looks like with the 35%.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am thinking of tinting as well. It looks very cool. I am in the same boat as Photolady. I had a Sport Trac and I never knew what was behind me. I do not think the visibility thing is an issue from inside. Just remember your car is QUIET and people are inattentive in lots so YOU have to be more observant!

Enjoy and expect a long term learning experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Scott D. said:
I bought my Prius off the lot last Friday, and just got it back from the tint shop today. I had 35% tint installed on all windows (except the windshield) and can see out of it without any problem, even at night. As a comparison, I had 35% tint on the front door windows and 20% tint (which is darker than the 35%) on the rear door and back windows of my 2002 Camry. The 20% tint was a little difficult to see out of at night and caused me some concern whenever I had to back up. (Of course, that might not be a concern now that we have back-up cameras!) I'll try and post some pictures of the Prius this Saturday so you can get an idea of what it looks like with the 35%.
Hmm.. I understand that in California, you cannot tint the front driver side and passenger side windows at all. I had a pickup truck once and tinted the windows with very very light tint and got a "fix it" ticket (yes.. I was parked next to bunch of CHP cruisers on break at the Dunkin Donuts and they all took note!!!) that was in 1986 - Has the law changed?

·
Registered
215 Posts
tint

I find that the tint has little effect on visibility. I'm in CA and have 35% on all windows, except the windshield. Not only does it look good, it cuts back on heat from the sun by a huge degree. Plus, I think it may even up the security quotient, in that it's harder to see inside. I wholly recommend it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Congrats...

As far as the tint....mine is as black as it gets. I am very prone to skin cancers and I "limo tinted" mine all the way around and I do not have any problems driving the car except for backing up at night. I'm just very "used to it" as every car I have had in the last 10 years has been done this way.

I do not recommend this however. Its just to "show" that it is possible to drive safely with it really dark. If I were to be "pulled over", I would just roll the window down before the "walkup" out of comfort courtesy for the "pulling entity". 8)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Re: tint

marlowe7 said:
it cuts back on heat from the sun by a huge degree.
not so much
The Prius glass is energy absorbing, it does not transmit heat like most cars. I have always tinted the windows of previous cars, for just this reason. Found I didn't need to with the Prius, as it isn't a problem.

Spike

·
Registered
2 Posts
yauman said:
Hmm.. I understand that in California, you cannot tint the front driver side and passenger side windows at all. I had a pickup truck once and tinted the windows with very very light tint and got a "fix it" ticket (yes.. I was parked next to bunch of CHP cruisers on break at the Dunkin Donuts and they all took note!!!) that was in 1986 - Has the law changed?
I don't honestly know what the law is on tinting. I've heard that as long as the officer can see you through the window, they'll leave you alone. That's why I've traditionally had 35% installed on the front windows, and 20% all around the back. I usually keep cars for three or four years. The last three Camrys I've had were all tinted in that manner and I never was hassled about it. Maybe I was just lucky :p

My in-laws have gotten tickets before but they were using the 20% tint on both front and back. They went to court with a Doctor's note for skin cancer and the judge let the tint stand. They now carry that note around with them in case they get pulled over again.

·
Registered
269 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
Congrats...

As far as the tint....mine is as black as it gets. I am very prone to skin cancers and I "limo tinted" mine all the way around and I do not have any problems driving the car except for backing up at night. I'm just very "used to it" as every car I have had in the last 10 years has been done this way.

I do not recommend this however. Its just to "show" that it is possible to drive safely with it really dark. If I were to be "pulled over", I would just roll the window down before the "walkup" out of comfort courtesy for the "pulling entity". 8)
Just wanted to clarify that when I said "all the way around", I didn't mean the windshield! :roll:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: tint

marlowe7 said:
Plus, I think it may even up the security quotient, in that it's harder to see inside. I wholly recommend it.
That's the problem. The officers can't see in either, thus they can't tell where your hands are and if you are reaching for/pointing a gun if they need to pull you over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts