Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We're picking up our new Prius from the dealer tomorrow.

I'm a little curious about recommendations for the new car. I've read through John's beginner guide and it was very helpful.

Are there software updates I should make sure I have before leaving the dealership?

The dealer is about 5 hours from home, we'll be driving it around town for the weekend, but we'll be taking on the interstate after two days for a 400 mile trip home. How should we handle break-in?

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
582 Posts
breaking in recs

As far as software updates, it would not hurt to ask if they have all been done.

Concerning break-in procedure, how about moderation - go easy on both acceleration and braking.

Enjoy the trip.

DAS

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
kmh27 said:
Hi All,
We're picking up our new Prius from the dealer tomorrow.

I'm a little curious about recommendations for the new car. I've read through John's beginner guide and it was very helpful.

Are there software updates I should make sure I have before leaving the dealership?

The dealer is about 5 hours from home, we'll be driving it around town for the weekend, but we'll be taking on the interstate after two days for a 400 mile trip home. How should we handle break-in?

Thanks,
Kyle
Hey Kyle, have fun with the new Toy. The way they tell you to break in a new car also happens to be the best way to maximize mileage on the Prius. Don't gun it, drive within the speed limit (if practical without risking road rage situations), anticipate your stops and ease off ahead of time so you can break gently. Then keep doing that forever.

The big decision is what music to bring along for the trip. May I suggest Dave Matthews? As MooCat would say, "Drive Happy".

·
Registered
370 Posts
Make sure your tires are inflated properly before you leave the dealer. I tend to lean toward the high side of the inflation range (42 front / 40 rear) since I don't find the ride harsh at all.

It has a dramatic effect on MPG, especially if you're driving for 5 hours.

DGStan

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Your first evening, spend a little time with the owners manual. It's rather difficult as each subject is referred to in several different sections for the complete answers, so don't just start at page 1 as you would any other manual, but there is a paragraph about "breaking in a new car" (common sense) and about things like tire pressures. I would recommend starting off with book figures and you will have to request these as Toyota is notorious for "26" psi all around, and it does make a difference. (26 psi will cost you 5 MPG) I believe the door tags specify 33frt and slightly less in the rear. It's on the door jamb.
Good luck and have fun as it is a huge big new toy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts