Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I just took delivery (12/19) of a 2005 Prius. So far I've only put 90 miles on it since I'm on vacation until after the first of the year. I'm currently seeing 36 mpg with just around town driving but each time I drive the average gets a little higher. Would probably be higher if I was doing my normal 60 mile round trip commute. I traded a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

Read more here in these forums on ways to increase your mileage (Use the "search" button in upper right. Tires, driving habits etc.). Your car will teach you how to drive it as well. You will be seeing 40+ readings before no time. Where are you from? Temp conditions will limit your MPGs if you live in extremely cold climate however.

Have fun! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CONGRATULATIONS!

Read more here in these forums on ways to increase your mileage (Use the "search" button in upper right. Tires, driving habits etc.). Your car will teach you how to drive it as well. You will be seeing 40+ readings before no time. Where are you from? Temp conditions will limit your MPGs if you live in extremely cold climate however.

Have fun! :D
Yep learned a bunch about hybrid driving from owning the HCH. I'm pretty sure I would be in the 40s off the lot if I was doing my normal commute. I live in Northern Virginia and the temps have been in the 20s and 30s (almost 40 during the day). I'm impressed so far. I haven't increased my tire pressure yet. For the Honda folks were recommending around 40psi. Is it the same for the Prius?

·
Registered
181 Posts
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!

I have owned my 2001 Prius for 4 months and have just now really gotten the hang of driving to optimize my gas mileage. You will get the hang of it and I am certain you will achieve the mileage you hear others talk about!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MtnTraveler said:
Just curious why you switched from the Civic to Prius?
The Prius was my first choice but when I was looking there was a 3-6 month waiting list for it so I bought the Honda. Now the dealer in my area has 12 Prius's (2005) sitting on their lot so I snagged one.. :D

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Peggy said:
MtnTraveler said:
The Prius was my first choice but when I was looking there was a 3-6 month waiting list for it so I bought the Honda. Now the dealer in my area has 12 Prius's (2005) sitting on their lot so I snagged one.. :D
Peggy, congrats ! Now you own the "Real Hybrid" Not the tiny motor assist
Honda system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C.Rickey Hirose said:
MtnTraveler said:
Peggy, congrats ! Now you own the "Real Hybrid" Not the tiny motor assist
Honda system.
I do have to admit that Tuesday when I went back to the Toyota dealership to drop off the other set of Honda keys I went in the other driveway and ended up driving behind the building to the other side because there was no parking on the side I pulled in at. What else do I see but my old Honda sitting there looking so forlorn! I felt a little twinge of guilt like I was being a bad car mommy and thinking the Honda is going to have abandonment issues now. So when I left I drove out the other driveway to avoid another confrontation with the Honda.. LOL..

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Peggy said:
I do have to admit that Tuesday when I went back to the Toyota dealership to drop off the other set of Honda keys I went in the other driveway and ended up driving behind the building to the other side because there was no parking on the side I pulled in at. What else do I see but my old Honda sitting there looking so forlorn! I felt a little twinge of guilt like I was being a bad car mommy and thinking the Honda is going to have abandonment issues now. So when I left I drove out the other driveway to avoid another confrontation with the Honda.. LOL..
We do get attached to our vehicles. We do so much with them that they become part of our lives.

I'm sure your Honda was clean and well cared for, but they will detail it in a few days, give it a mechanical once over, and they will get it out on the lot. I'm sure it will sell quickly and will find another good home. Hybrid drivers, as a general rule, are more obsessive over their cars than other vehicle drivers.

BTW, how many miles on your Honda when you traded it? Do you feel you got a good trade in value? I'm not asking for number specifics, just wondering if you thought you did well in trade? Did the dealership seem competent? Let's just say that sales and service experience among Prius owners (Toyota owners in general) can be iffy to excellent. Comments?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Peggy said:
MtnTraveler said:
Peggy, I did the same thing; opted for the 2004 HCH instead of waiting 6-12 months for a Prius. Finally got a Prius in Jul 2005...happy ever since (Like you, I looked fot the old HCH and I think I see it on the road, wagging its antenna... :lol: )

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Read those sections of the owner's manual which apply to your model. Judging from the steady trickle of reports in Prius forums some new owners find it easy to accidentally do things which run down their 12V batteries, and then their nice new car sits there inertly. Don't be one of them :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
congratulations on your new purchase. I too traded in an 04 Honda Civic hybrid for my 05 Prius. I think that the Honda is a great car but cant really compare with my Prius in any category. Since April of this year, I have averaged 50.1 mpg w/ air always on and with my Honda, only averaged 43 mpg with a lot less room. I have a 2006 Prius on order for Feb. delivery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts