Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Prius and am entirely satisfied with the car thus far. I currently have about 210 miles on it and the gas indicator has not gone down at all. With my previous ride (VW Jetta VR6), that amount of mileage would equate to about half a tank. At what mileage should I be seeing a drop in the indicator? I'm realize I'm perhaps being a tad paranoid, but still...

Thanks in advance

P.S. It is such a kick to see 53.2 MPF on the MFD!

P.P.S. And that should be MPG! :oops:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
PriusInMe said:
I just bought a 2005 Prius and am entirely satisfied with the car thus far. I currently have about 210 miles on it and the gas indicator has not gone down at all. With my previous ride (VW Jetta VR6), that amount of mileage would equate to about half a tank. At what mileage should I be seeing a drop in the indicator? I'm realize I'm perhaps being a tad paranoid, but still...

Thanks in advance

P.S. It is such a kick to see 53.2 MPF on the MFD!
Be ready, because when the pips start dropping they will drop quickly. The "guess guage" is not very linear, and if you pumped the tank very full the first pip will not go out for 150-200 miles sometimes. The next one will drop in 50 or less. Annoying, but you will learn to not sweat it. I've taken it as a chalenge to see how far I can get on the first pip. You will love this car!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As Hep said, not unusual. With 200+ miles though, it will make its first drop very soon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If the tank was full when you got it, and you are getting 52 MPF ;-) than you can go to just over 500 miles. Although I would get gas slightly before then.

Spike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick answers. I'm hoping the fascination/obsession with MP G! goes away after a time. I've become quite the boor at interjecting it into random conversations: "Did you see where Curt Schilling is going to be the Red Sox's new closer?" "Yep. It should be interesting. By the way, did you know that between Riverside and Forest Ave. the Prius gets 73 MPG?"

It's sad really..

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
AFter the first pip, which can vary by how much I packed into the tank, first 5 drop at about 30 miles, last 5 drop at about 5-75 miles, blinking I have gotten as far as 87 without chickening out.
First pip drops anywhere from 150-210 for me. My MPG is in the 50's usually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies. The gauge did go down one at 240 miles, followed very quickly by the second bar at 260.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I never trust the gas gauge to tell me how much I have left, it's WAY too unpredictable. I only get concerned if it drops to one pip and beeps. I've had my gauge stay at totally full anywhere from 50 to 250 miles before it goes down a pip.

On my current tank, I'm only at 170 miles and have already gone down 4 pips, even though the computer says I'm getting 49.7 mpg currently, go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts