Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently received my 2005 Prius and love the way it drives with the exception of one thing. On the highway I notice that the car is not very stable and that when I make turns, the car seems to lean a lot more than I am used to. Is this normal and is there anything that I can get to make the car more stable?

Ken Stewart

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Make sure your tires are inflated to the proper PSI (35 front, 33 rear). Some owners use higher pressures of 42/40 as a way of getting better gas mileage. The key is to be sure you keep the front tires 2 PSI higher than the rear tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your fast post. I already checked my tire pressures and they are right on the money. I also had my alignment checked and the dealer said everything looked perfect. I was hoping that there were some aftermarket items that I could use to improve the handling but I can not seem to find much.

Ken Stewart

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"I also had my alignment checked and the dealer said everything looked perfect."

Ask for the printout; they shoudl have it. "Perfect," inother words, "within Toyota specs," includes zero toe-in, which is NOT good for highway stability. You should ask for slight toe-in, and consistency in all readings side-to-side. They do not normally align it this closely, and may have told you "perfect" when it is not.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Over at PriusChat, you may purchase Bob's strengthening brace. It replaces the Toyota stock brace underneath the car. You could try getting better tyres. I'm not sure whether you're using the 15" or 16" set. A rear toe-in would help with straight line stability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked the dealership about my alignment and they only said that everything was within spec. I did not receive a printout though.
I never heard of this Bob's strengthening brace? Where can I find this and order one?

Ken Stewart

Tideland Prius said:
Over at PriusChat, you may purchase Bob's strengthening brace. It replaces the Toyota stock brace underneath the car. You could try getting better tyres. I'm not sure whether you're using the 15" or 16" set. A rear toe-in would help with straight line stability.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Ken, what do you mean by the car being less stable than what you are use to? What did you drive before? I have found that every car I've owned took a little getting use to at first. The only stability problem I have noticed with my 04 is in cross winds or being in the backwash of an 18 wheeler at high speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last car was a Honda Accord and I must say that it handled a lot better than my new Prius. When I am driving on the highway, my car feels like it needs constant correction to the steering wheel to stay in my lane. Also when driving around town the car seems to lean while going into a corner and does not handle flat.

Ken Stewart

firepa63 said:
Ken, what do you mean by the car being less stable than what you are use to? What did you drive before? I have found that every car I've owned took a little getting use to at first. The only stability problem I have noticed with my 04 is in cross winds or being in the backwash of an 18 wheeler at high speed.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
KenSW said:
My last car was a Honda Accord and I must say that it handled a lot better than my new Prius. When I am driving on the highway, my car feels like it needs constant correction to the steering wheel to stay in my lane. Also when driving around town the car seems to lean while going into a corner and does not handle flat.
Ken, that sounds kinda normal to me for the Prius...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was hoping this was NOT the case. I there must be something I can do to make the car handle better. Someone mentioned a brace of some kind but I can't find what they are talking about.

Ken Stewart

firepa63 said:
KenSW said:
Ken, that sounds kinda normal to me for the Prius...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Ken, what I had to get use to was the tight steering. The car responds immediately to movement of the steering wheel. I don't even notice it now.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"I asked the dealership about my alignment and they only said that everything was within spec. I did not receive a printout though."

If you are still not happy then I would take it back, ask for alignment at the "more toe-in" end of the allowable range, and ask for the printout.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Is the problem on all freeways, or just the grooved ones. In the bay area, on Highway 85, I have had 2 cars that seem to have the behavior you mention. One is the Prius and the other was a 2005 Corvette Anniversary Edition. Both work fine on 280. I am assuming that it is just the way the grooves in some tires match (or don't match) with the grooves in some roads. This is just my guess. I can't back that up with anything. I suppose that if you replaced the tires and the ride was better, that would help "prove" it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem exists for me whenever I am going over 50 MPH. It seems that the higher the speed, the worse the problem. My dealership has not been very forthcoming and when I asked them to check the alignment again they told me they would do it but I would have to pay 89.95 since warranty only pays for 1 alignment.

I hope I can just get used to the way the car drives but I wish it handled a lot better than it does. I also drive quite a bit on the highway and the constant attention to just stay in my lane is very tiring, especially on long commutes.

I am still looking for this priuschat part but I have no idea where to get it.

Ken Stewart

redwein said:
Is the problem on all freeways, or just the grooved ones. In the bay area, on Highway 85, I have had 2 cars that seem to have the behavior you mention. One is the Prius and the other was a 2005 Corvette Anniversary Edition. Both work fine on 280. I am assuming that it is just the way the grooves in some tires match (or don't match) with the grooves in some roads. This is just my guess. I can't back that up with anything. I suppose that if you replaced the tires and the ride was better, that would help "prove" it.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I would argue that you didn't pay for an alignment, you paid to get rid of wander.

Since they did not accomplish this goal, they can realign it at their own expense.

Did you pay with a credit card?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I am surprised they didn't give you the printout. They might stil lhave it. Most dealers seem to sue a computerized alignment syste, that prints our the before and after readings. They might have it in the file. This would let you know just what the current alignment is, and whether further refinement would yield any benefit. Costs them nothing to let you have a copy of the report.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They did the aligment under warranty so I did not pay anything yet. When I called them today and told them that I am still not happy with the way the car drives on the highway they said that I would have to pay if I wanted them to check the aligment again.

I figure that since they said the alignment was perfect then it is wthin the specifications of what the car calls for.

Ken Stewart

KTPhil said:
I would argue that you didn't pay for an alignment, you paid to get rid of wander.

Since they did not accomplish this goal, they can realign it at their own expense.

Did you pay with a credit card?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I found that the car somtimes YAW's a bit in the rear. I think this come from the tires being a hard rubber compound with stiff side walls.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"I figure that since they said the alignment was perfect then it is wthin the specifications of what the car calls for. "

This is not the limit of their obligation. But if you don't want to fight them, you'll have to live with it.

I brought mine back and they readjusted it, and it improved things. Free.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts