Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have decided to buy the new Prius which is claimed to "Park by iteself". Last night, I had test-driven one G model and was really fascinated. When you press Start or the Power button you do not feel anything. You got to learn how to use a hybrid vehicle. It was great. Also, if you drive the car in betten the White lines, you will get continuous beep until you adjeust into the lane driving.

It is good to have a vehicle like that while the gasoline prices are skyrockrting. As a simple calculation, I found that if you drive about 30,000 kms or more you will get your money back saving in fuel cost alone.

Still, I have a few questions on some of the features. Even my agent does not know the answers.

For me, the wait will be over in a couple of months. I am waiting to whix-up with the new PRIUS. The corner sensors are so sensitive that you won't make a mistake.....

Any comment.....
I am crossing my fingers whether it is a :D or a :(

jeeva

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Omg, it has a lane departure warning system?!?! Yeesh. Stop keeping the features to yourselves!! Share it with us!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As for the self-parking? The Japanese Prius has had that as an option since the 2004 model came out in late '03. And as for savings because of fuel cost, it depends on what you compare it to. If you compare a base Prius to a loaded Camry, you'll make it up fast. If you compare a loaded Prius to a base Echo, it'll take a long time, if ever, to make it up. If you compare it to an Insight, you'll end up behind. If you compare it to any Lexus, well, you're ahead right out of the gate.

Gas savings comparisons only mean something if you compare it to a similar sized and quality car. In my case, the three vehicles that were being seriously considered were the Prius, a Hyundai Elantra GT, and a Volkwagen Jetta TDI Wagon. By my calculations at time of purchase, the Prius will 'come ahead' of the Elantra at about the 160,000 mile mark. (Assuming gas prices that increase 6% a year from time of purchase. Gas prices as of my last fill are 45%/year above what it was when I purchased.) And the Prius will essentially never win vs. the TDI. (While their prices are similar, the TDI would have been cheaper, and gets good enough gas mileage that even with the 'diesel premium', my spreadsheet said I wouldn't break even until the 400,000 mile mark.)

The Prius won on environmental factors. (Although we're now considering a used TDI wagon to replace both the Hyundai and the now-rarely-used Ford Explorer.)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hello Ehurtley. you mentioned below that you are not going to break-even till you reach 400.000 miles mark ? What about the other auxiliary components that are a must in regular ICE only vehicles ? IE: to mention a few: Starter Motor, Power steering Pump, Alternator, Drive Belts, the mechanical clutch disc, or Auto Trans converter, inner pumps governor gears etc. Plus the tune-ups upkeep all these which are musts on the ICE
vehicles. My belief: The Toyota HSD power train, the longer you keep owning the HSD vehicle the less you spend maintaining to keep it in shape. Therefore when you add the gas savings to aforementioned Non-maintanance cycle you will be well ahead than the rest of the ICE vehicles owners !

Gas savings comparisons only mean something if you compare it to a similar sized and quality car. In my case, the three vehicles that were being seriously considered were the Prius, a Hyundai Elantra GT, and a Volkwagen Jetta TDI Wagon. By my calculations at time of purchase, the Prius will 'come ahead' of the Elantra at about the 160,000 mile mark. (Assuming gas prices that increase 6% a year from time of purchase. Gas prices as of my last fill are 45%/year above what it was when I purchased.) And the Prius will essentially never win vs. the TDI. (While their prices are similar, the TDI would have been cheaper, and gets good enough gas mileage that even with the 'diesel premium', my spreadsheet said I wouldn't break even until the 400,000 mile mark.)

The Prius won on environmental factors. (Although we're now considering a used TDI wagon to replace both the Hyundai and the now-rarely-used Ford Explorer.)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
He's got a point. I'll also add transmission fluid and power steering fluid that aren't present in the Prius.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anyway?

Hi
Is there anyway I can drive Prius only with the motor and not with ICE. I would like to use this feature to drive locally and on long drives the ICE will anyway charge the batt. The selection of ICE or the motor is decided by the genius inside Prius or can it be a driver's choice?

cheers

jeeeeeeee

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: Is there anyway?

jeeva said:
Hi
Is there anyway I can drive Prius only with the motor and not with ICE. I would like to use this feature to drive locally and on long drives the ICE will anyway charge the batt. The selection of ICE or the motor is decided by the genius inside Prius or can it be a driver's choice?

cheers

jeeeeeeee
Yes, there is. On the Japanese model, you are lucky enough to have an 'EV' button that makes the Prius only drive on electric power.

Please note, though, that you can only get 2-3 miles on a 'fully charged' battery (4-5 km,) at a maximum speed of 35 miles per hour (55 km/h.)

This feature is also present in Europe, but not North America.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There is indeed transmission fluid and a drive belt for the water pump. But the transmission fluid isn't used the same way as in a conventional transmission thus experiences less wear. There's no scheduled time to replace it, only that it be checked at 60K I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts