Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of adding two more wheels to my car. I figure if four work well, six have got to be 50% better. Has anyone tried this? What have been your results?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
Geez, you guys are stoopid. Wheels ADD friction and slow the car.

The thing that will help is to remove wheels. Go down to two to get 50% reduction in friction, take off all 4 and you're at zero friction...a 100% improvement in fuel economy guaranteed.

You guys really should study up on your engineering and math before you post something like this... :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
efusco said:
Geez, you guys are stoopid. Wheels ADD friction and slow the car.

The thing that will help is to remove wheels. Go down to two to get 50% reduction in friction, take off all 4 and you're at zero friction...a 100% improvement in fuel economy guaranteed.

You guys really should study up on your engineering and math before you post something like this... :?
I bow before your superior grasp of the physics! You should have been an engineer Doc!

But where would I put all those pounds of air? Will they fit in the trunk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
Hep said:
I bow before your superior grasp of the physics! You should have been an engineer Doc!

But where would I put all those pounds of air? Will they fit in the trunk?
The air goes UNDER the car to lift it up...I think you're hopeless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
efusco said:
Hep said:
I bow before your superior grasp of the physics! You should have been an engineer Doc!

But where would I put all those pounds of air? Will they fit in the trunk?
The air goes UNDER the car to lift it up...I think you're hopeless.
Not meaning to be slow, but will this work at higher elevations where the air is thinner? Won't I be driving lower with less clearance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Hep said:
efusco said:
Hep said:
I bow before your superior grasp of the physics! You should have been an engineer Doc!

But where would I put all those pounds of air? Will they fit in the trunk?
The air goes UNDER the car to lift it up...I think you're hopeless.
Not meaning to be slow, but will this work at higher elevations where the air is thinner? Won't I be driving lower with less clearance?
What higher elevation are we talking about in Minnesota? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
efusco said:
Geez, you guys are stoopid. Wheels ADD friction and slow the car.

The thing that will help is to remove wheels. Go down to two to get 50% reduction in friction, take off all 4 and you're at zero friction...a 100% improvement in fuel economy guaranteed.
Bringing in my experience as a pilot again... you know that the gear is retracted when it takes 100% power to taxi.

/Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Up here at a higher elevation, the car weighs less so it takes less air to lift it. Everybody knows that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
efusco had it right! I took off all the wheels and haven't burned a drop of gas since then. Why is it that Toyota has overlooked the completely wheel-free car? It's got to be the oil cartel keeping this under wraps. Get those lug wrenches out people!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Seanskia said:
use the tweel.. ;)
Yah, but air is light. So if there's no air in the tire, isn't it heavier than regular tires? I think it must be a hoax. :?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
640 Posts
Seanskia said:
use the tweel.. ;)
I can't wait 'til winter's over to go back to my Tweels! Right now I'm averaging MPGs in the mid to upper 40's but when I got my Tweels in August, I soared from mid 50's to lower 80's with a tankful best of 85.4. The lateral handling is surprisingly adequate, comparable to the OEM tires. It makes flat tires obsolete. And talk about low rolling resistance!! (click on the attached image for a better look).

I think the only thing better than this is the Hovercar.

Now hold on while I get my tongue out of my cheek...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yah...get tweel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An oldie but a goodie. My favorite thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
When I was young, my friend's brother helped me 'sneak' a Pinewood Derby car that I'd built into his Cub Scout Pack's race.

At the time, the rules didn't say anything about the maximum number of wheels on a single car; my model had six and for some reason just rolled away from the competition.

That is, until competitors' dads began taping coins to their sons' cars, in protest!

Meanwhile, I stood back and enjoyed the spectacle of my mystery racer, as it shook up the status quo. I wasn't a Cub Scout...heck, I wasn't even a boy...and this remains one of the fondest memories of my youth.

BTW, Andy Granatelli was my hero. Those crazy Novis and the weird and wonderful turbine racers...I was a weird kid. I'll be the first to admit it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
They usually had a weight limit though to avoid such advantages that your competetors were trying.

I remember those pine derby days. I should get back to doing things like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
DanMan32 said:
They usually had a weight limit though to avoid such advantages that your competetors were trying.

I remember those pine derby days. I should get back to doing things like that.
I remember the weight limit; it was 5oz. at that time. It really sucked 'cause they made a huge deal of weighing all of the cars and placing them into quarantine at the beginning of the race....but as the runoffs continued and my car kept winning, I began to notice that cars were rolling down the track with stacks of quarters taped into the cockpit, and no one was saying anything. They were all in cahoots!

Part of me wanted to raise a fuss, but now I'm glad that I didn't. Besides, how could I? I look back at it and find it amusing that one little ol' roughly constructed six-wheeled car could stimulate the competitive juices of all of these grown men (and mine, too)!

It was an especially oddball car because it lacked bi-lateral symmetry; that is, the wheels were in different places on the left and right hand side in an attempt to make it go as straight as possible. I think that's what pushed 'em over the edge.

Six wheels...in different places...?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top