Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Highlander Hybrid. I love it. I love getting better gas mileage. I am supposed to get 33 mpg, but I am getting about 23 mpg. Any idea how or when I will start getting 33 mpg?

·
Registered
548 Posts
energysavingman said:
I just got a new Highlander Hybrid. I love it. I love getting better gas mileage. I am supposed to get 33 mpg, but I am getting about 23 mpg. Any idea how or when I will start getting 33 mpg?
I don't think you will, sorry. :(

The best I've seen over at greenhybrid.com is a bit over 27mpg. I'd suggest heading over there and checking out the Highlander and RX400 message boards. There are a lot of people who are asking the same question you are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I'm gonna buy a hybrid it's gonna be the hybrid that gets the highest MPG.

/yes, honda insight gets the highest MPG

·
Registered
548 Posts
IndyDoug said:
If I'm gonna buy a hybrid it's gonna be the hybrid that gets the highest MPG.
Sometimes you need to carry a few packages, ya know. :) In that case, you'd need a Civic or a Prius. Or even an Escape Hybrid.

But I won't knock the Insight, it's not a bad car at all.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The highest I've seen on HiHyChat.com is around 28mpg. Note that all the vehicles are still currently in their break-in period. I'd give it 6 months or more before we see people send in reports of higher mileage. This must be what it was like back in Oct 03 when people started getting their Gen 2 Prius.

Well the Prius for now is a fairly good compromise. It has the versatility of the Escape, the roominest of a Camry, fairly good fuel economy and different packages to suit difference tastes. And it's well priced. No doubt we'll see much more aggressive pricing from other manufacturer's in the future which would help lower the price of the Prius in the future.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
The highest I've seen on HiHyChat.com is around 28mpg. Note that all the vehicles are still currently in their break-in period. I'd give it 6 months or more before we see people send in reports of higher mileage. This must be what it was like back in Oct 03 when people started getting their Gen 2 Prius.
There are more than a few that over a few thousand miles with no improvement. So while the average may improve in the future, to say that "all the vehicles are are still currently in their break-in period" isn't quite right.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Yes, this is a Prius site, however I belive we are hospitable enough to give advice to a fellow Toyota Hybrid driver. HSD is universal enough in implementation that most of what we have experienced with the Prius can be applied to the Hylander, at least in part, excluding experience with electric rear drive; and that seems pretty straight forward in application also.

To the original poster, thanks for asking us for assistance. I will also say that http://www.greenhybrid.com/ has a forum specifically for the Highlander and you can even post your fuel economy as you fill up and see what others are getting there. Nice place.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If energysavingman doesn't mind me answering, yes it can. It uses the same system as the one in the Prius.

·
Read Only
51 Posts
We have a 2004 Prius (almost 40,000 miles) as well as a Highlander hybrid (about 6000 miles). They have similar mpg characteristics. They both get better mpg on highways verses our type of city driving. With the Prius I get 48-51 mpg per tank on my highway commute and my wife gets 26-28+ mpg per tank on her highway commute with the Highlander. For city driving with lot of stops the mileage with the Prius drops to around 44 mpg and with the Highlander one gets around 24 mpg. Most of this is with using the accelerator very conservatively and having experience in driving the Prius for some time now. If you punch it a lot you will get much lower mpg with the Highlander hybrid very quickly.

It might be worth comparing our drive to Yellowstone from Los Angeles with the Prius last year to the same trip with the Highlander this year. Going up and back we got around 46-48 mpg with the Prius and around 26-28 mpg with the Highlander. This is going up and down highway 15, which has mostly 75-mph speed limits. In the park itself where the speed limits are fairly low (25 to 45 mph) the Prius got around 54-56 mpg and the Highlander got around 31-34 mpg. These mpg numbers are all from full tank to empty tank. At the time the Highlander had less that 1000 miles on it. By the time we got home of course it was above that.

One thing I do notice is that the regenerative braking in the Highlander shows a lot more of the 50WH icons than the Prius on the consumption screen. It should with the large front motor and rear motor to add to it.

We got the Highlander hybrid because we needed some towing capability. We eventually want to tow a small travel trailer. The Highlander is not the best choice for that (higher towing weight limits would have helped), but after having the Prius for a year with its great gas mileage and low pollution levels, buying a regular SUV would have been a big step backwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts