Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all...

i am new to the prius and to this site. i picked up my new baby on wednesday and look forward to any opportunity to drive it. i am a recovering gas miser...last 2 vehicles were suv's. my last car was a vw touareg, a whopping 16 miles to the gallon...nice. well, i am looking forward to my coming driving experiences and having a place to answer my questions. :D

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Welcome to our community and congrats on such a positive change in your mode of transportation (I think you meant you're a recovering gas guzzler)! And I'm envious of your Barcelona, my fave color.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops...yes, i was a guzzler, but a miser at heart...lol. i wanted the magnetic gray, but out of 4 dealerships only one had any in stock, they had 2. i went to test drive that night and the blue one had been sold. the only new one left was red and fully loaded...can't beat that...my friends think i am crazy, as i told them i would never drive a car again. i had an xterra for 4 years and the touareg for 3. it is like riding in a roller skate...but not as smelly... :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i notice you are from vermont (wayneswhirld). how does your prius handle in rain, ice, snow? i am used to an almost 6000 lb vehicle and an nervous about winter weather.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The car itself handles well in bad weather conditions, especially with VSC, which since you say yours is fully loaded, you have.

You might want to change the tires to ones more suitable for winter weather when the season comes. The traction control can be sensitive and appear to make you powerless. In reality, it does stop the wheels if it spins, but will try again in about a second. Driver's instincts are to let go of the gas. Better to back off a bit, but not let go.

But just like ourselves, you need the right footwear for the weather.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had no problems in New Hampshire last winter, using the Goodyear Intgrity's. I was able to back out over some of the humps left by the snowplow at the end of my driveway. I did have to use my snowblower before leaving when the snowfall was over a foot though. :)

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
meshell said:
i notice you are from vermont (wayneswhirld). how does your prius handle in rain, ice, snow? i am used to an almost 6000 lb vehicle and an nervous about winter weather.
Well, DanMan, despite being from the land of no snow has answered your query well. I'll just add my winter driving experiences (as RealAle did). I think it does quite well in the snow as long as (as stated) the car is equipped with VSC (which you have) and with a good set of snows--all around. I even concur that traction control can help but might hinder in certain instances as it did to me one time. I was attempting to pull out into traffic from a snowy, icy driveway (at work) and it was almost like the car stalled out briefly. I had to back up fast to avoid getting hit.

As to VSC, it really does help in going around snowy curves in keeping from sliding off the road (but still sensibly go slow). About the only case where my Outback with AWD (and snows) is superior is uphill traction in snow more than a few inches deep. But the AWD may not even be as good as VSC going around curves unless uphill curves--then about even. Also, I find the Prius brakes well in the snow with no skidding--as long as, again, you go sensibly slow.

There was one time I did skid a bit and that was in mid-April going over a mountain with some ice just at the very top--after I had switched back to the OEM tires. So I think snows are a must.

Oh, and my experience is the Integritys handle fine in the rain, though some others here don't agree.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gosh...thanks for all of the great responses, just reaffirming my decision to buy this great car. what are your opinions re: what tires to buy, and can i get bigger wheels without sacrificing mpg. i miss my 17" wheels...:(...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.