Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
E10 as a winter blend started 15 years ago, here in Minnesota. Then in the late 90's, it become the only gas available year-round. So that's all I've driven my 107,800 combined Prius miles with.

Unlike the previous mention, I have never heard of any Prius owner going out of their way to avoid using it. The result is about 1.7 MPG lower efficiency, hardly a massive penalty... especially since the price tends to be lower anyway (ethanol usually isn't taxed as much as pure gas).

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The owner's manual states up to 10% ethanol (E10) is OK.

It is possible to use E85, but no long-term studies have been done yet (ethanol can break down parts of a car over time). Short term study by the Creed Project:
http://www.greenenergynetwork.com/media ... us-e85.PDF shows that you'll get a check engine light, cold start emissions are higher, and overall MPG is lower. There's at least one person from Sweden on the Prius-Europe list that is currently using E85 in his Prius.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.