Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was waiting with "baited breath" to see if they would mess up again.
The new ratings are out and I just looked it up on the EPA site. For the 2007 Prius using the new method, it's estimated at 48 MPG city, 45 MPG highway. 46 MPG overall. That seems pretty much in line with what people are reporting. Some do better, some do worse. Seems fair to me.

For those who speak metric ;) it's 4.9 l/100 km city, 5.23 l/100 km highway, and 5.1 l/100 km overall. I'm being a little optimistic with the decimal places, but whatever. ;)

I presume we'll see the new numbers on the window stickers on the 2008 models. Of course, if the 2008 is a new model, the numbers would be different.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I for one am pleased these new ratings are finally out. It was getting tiresome explaining to friends and strangers alike that I wasn't getting the 60 mpg advertised. Prius owners and the Toyota dealership just shrugged as we've always known the reality of mpg. Those of you online here who get such great mileage really aren't in the majority.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I guess I'm just a search guru. ;) I found it at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
On the right in the box there is a line to the effect "compare the new and old readings". Click on it and you can find the new reading for any vehicle they test. Actually, that's a misnomer. EPA only test a few vehicles, from my understanding (-perhaps- to ensure nobody is cheating). They set the test method and require all manufacturers to do the test and submit the results to them.

-Some- manufacturers cheat the results upwards for a better published score (wouldn't you?). For example, if they could get better results on a certain day, they would use those, instead of the "normal" results they would get most of the time. I'm sure there are lots of ways to get better results, and I'm just as sure the EPA only knows of a few of them. ;)

Oh, and I'll bet the dealers will still quote the old numbers, and Toyota will still use the old number (60 MPG) in their adverts.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Well at the moment, even that site is quoting the old numbers UNLESS you select that link. Manufacturers probably won't use the new numbers until they have to. This won't be limited to the Toyota Prius.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
David Beale said:
Well, I was waiting with "baited breath" to see if they would mess up again.
The new ratings are out and I just looked it up on the EPA site. For the 2007 Prius using the new method, it's estimated at 48 MPG city, 45 MPG highway. 46 MPG overall. That seems pretty much in line with what people are reporting. Some do better, some do worse. Seems fair to me.

For those who speak metric ;) it's 4.9 l/100 km city, 5.23 l/100 km highway, and 5.1 l/100 km overall. I'm being a little optimistic with the decimal places, but whatever. ;)

I presume we'll see the new numbers on the window stickers on the 2008 models. Of course, if the 2008 is a new model, the numbers would be different.
Sweet, I now beat the EPA summer or winter!! hahahah

4.3-4.7 in the summer
4.7-5.1 in the winter

At 70mph, I get 5.1L/100km so they're either testing at a higher speed or have everything running at the same time (A/C, lights, radio)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i bought an '06 with about 7k miles on the clock. The guy i bought it from informed me that he had let the car sit in very cold temps for an extended period of time while he was trying to sell it. Long story short, it wouldn't start. After the battery was replaced there was continued starting problems so the dealer replaced the battery again. Runs fine now. My problem with the car after owning it only a week in the city of Chicago is that it gets very poor gas mileage. My fiancee and i have been averaging low 30's MPG. I'm not sure if the history of the car is affecting the electric motor assist or what. It seems for a 4 banger the ICE gets VERY poor mileage by itself. Is this normal? my old 96 accord 4 got 25-27 and my 99 S-10 I-4 gets better then the prius is indicating on the computer. I dont know. seems like something may be wrong. Any suggestions? My apologies for the Hijacking. we are talking MPG's here....maybe a link to a thread that already covered this is due? Thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hello fellow Chicagoan. Your mileage is very typical of what I get. Wait till spring without heat or AC. You'll get in mid 40's or better. A lot also depends on whether you have short trips with several stops. After a couple years with my Prius, I've learned to accept what I can't change. Also goes for Bears football.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Phew! I was beginning to think i had a faulty car. i just found another thread that talked of mileage and all the different factors that go into the numbers. Yes. the car has been abused with short trips. My gal drives to work sometimes and its only a couple miles away so the car doesn't warm up. The cold doesn't help either. This puts my mind at ease tremendously. As i mentioned, we've only owned the car a little over a week. LOVE the car BTW. Handles the snow very well. Hello Chicago. We can forget the Bears for a while and see if either of our baseball teams can win. Also, motorcycle season is right around the corner. This years tour will take me through Canada and New England. Cant wait.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
R1200GS said:
Yes. the car has been abused with short trips. My gal drives to work sometimes and its only a couple miles away so the car doesn't warm up. The cold doesn't help either.
Yup, that'll do it.
Try taking a long leisurly drive in less congested roads one weekend and see how it goes then. The lenthy drive will allow the car's sytem to warm up, as well as settle the cabin heat demand to a more manageable level. Best to do that when you don't have too many miles on the tank, otherwise your good mileage will be sorely diluted by your poor mileage.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
45 to 48 is actually right about what I get for gas mileage.

I don't even mathematically calculate my mileage anymore. I just try to get anything above 48 on the MFD, and I consider that as a "good tank" by both car and driver.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's nice to see. When I first bought my Prius I'd read these forums (and PC) and I thought something was wrong with my car. I wasn't getting 55MPG...it was closer to 45.

When I asked I was told it was my wheels, tires, tire pressure, the way I drove, etc.

It appears that some of the people posting gas mileage numbers here were the ones out of the norm at the very least.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think the new numbers are accurate too, for the way most people drive. That's what they were trying to do. The only thing I do now that I didn't do before I had the Prius is drive the posted speed limit. I think this is why I average a little over 50 in the warmer months and just below 50 in the colder ones.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The new numbers are what I've typically gotten in all seasons except winter with normal driving distances and conditions. I'm really glad to see the revised numbers which substantiate mine. My best tank was a 48.7 on my 2005. I'm anxious to see if there's any change with the 2007.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I think the new numbers are accurate too, for the way most people drive. That's what they were trying to do. The only thing I do now that I didn't do before I had the Prius is drive the posted speed limit. I think this is why I average a little over 50 in the warmer months and just below 50 in the colder ones.
.I would have to "grit my teeth" to do that but I'm sure you are right. I'll be content with my "44."

·
Registered
13 Posts
New EPA #'s are too low.

Although I'm glad that EPA has revised it methods, I think the new #'s for the Prius are too low. For my last three round-trip commutes (starting and stopping at the same place), I have gotten 64 mpg, 61 mpg, and 68 mpg.javascript:emoticon(':D') My commute is 30 miles with about 30 traffic lights each way with an average speed of about 40 mph.

On the highway, I routinely get better than 50. But notice I said highway and not interstate. If you want to go 75, that's another story. But at 55-60, the prius does great. Even at 75 and in the mountains, I'll usually do better than 45.

What we forget is that the EPA ratings were always supposed to be for lower highway speeds 55 or maybe 65, but clearly not 75. The EPA also doesn't include using the AC .... nor should it include using the heater or defroster as all those creature comforts are not directly related to propelling the vehicle down the road. Living in the Northeast, I am well aware that the REAL reason for my life-long (6 months) mpg average is only 46.5 is due to the WINTER, and interstate driving at 75 and dare I say 80.

I enjoy talking to folks that the prius is so efficient that it doesn't produce enough wasted heat on its own to run the heater core enough to warm up the cabin on 5 F morning or to melt the ice off the windshield. So you have to burn extra gas just to stay warm. This is a GOOD thing! I'm sure that in the future the automakers will devise alternative heating systems for hybrids and EVs that are more heat-efficient.

The one thing that the EPA should figure out is how to convey the notion that the mileage that YOU will get depends on how YOU drive. And that this is even more so with hybrids. Especially the average distance of your typical drive...those 1 mile trips to the store will kill your mpg average.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Your mileage is not typical. It seems largely agreed upon that the new numbers do reflect what normal people doing normal driving can expect to get, which is what the EPA numbers are supposed to reflect. They are not supposed to show best possible mileage using all available tricks and non-standard driving techniques. The new numbers will lead to much less disappointment for the average Prius buyer.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
"Hear,Hear" exactly! I find the new numbers to perfectly indicate the milage I have obtained in the past three years of normal driving.
The previous figures and those still advertised for the Prius by local dealers are those I have found unduplicable with "normal" every day driving without the mental gymnastics!
Buy the car, drive the car normally, and check out your milage when you fill the tank with a calculator. You will be getting todays EPA figures.
(tis taken them years, but "they" have finally gotten the numbers right.) Which, by the way, are "not too shabby."
After all, we are just looking for is some method of comparisment.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts