Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my 2006 Scion TC with 8000 miles on it for a new 2005 Prius where they gave me $16000 for my TC and charged me $21500 for the Prius.

Given the tax incentives and the fact that I drive 140 miles round trip each day, I figure I would break even in about 100,000 miles or 3.5 years.
Have done two tankfuls averaging about 42.8 mpg. I suspect I will improve once I get the techniques.

This morning, the car fllashed a message with a hazzard sign indicating the battery will not charge and to put the car in "park". I was confused until I realized that two doors were not shut properly. Iguess the only way to know a door is open is thru this sign.

I wonder if Toyota has an optional steering wheel cover?

Just sharing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"This morning, the car fllashed a message with a hazzard sign indicating the battery will not charge and to put the car in "park". I was confused until I realized that two doors were not shut properly."

The "Battery will not charge..etc" warning occurs when the transmission is in "N" (Neutral). Doors open has nothing to do with it. The battery will only charge when in "D", "R" or "P". I'll bet you were in "N".

Gas mpg should increase as you log some miles. Probably more due to improved hybrid-driver technique than anything else. Keep a close eye on tire air pressure. Many Prius drivers are adding a few pounds over the factory settings. It does make a difference with no apparent tire problems.
With a 140 mile daily commute you certainly are a prime candidate for a Prius. If your drive involves some nice level stretches, try Cruise Control. It's usually more economical than the foot.

I've never seen a "Toyota" brand steering wheel cover. After market covers are available at most good accessory stores.

Welcome to Prius Land....................

·
Registered
269 Posts
JDavies said:
"This morning, the car fllashed a message with a hazzard sign indicating the battery will not charge and to put the car in "park". I was confused until I realized that two doors were not shut properly."

The "Battery will not charge..etc" warning occurs when the transmission is in "N" (Neutral). Doors open has nothing to do with it. The battery will only charge when in "D", "R" or "P". I'll bet you were in "N".

Gas mpg should increase as you log some miles. Probably more due to improved hybrid-driver technique than anything else. Keep a close eye on tire air pressure. Many Prius drivers are adding a few pounds over the factory settings. It does make a difference with no apparent tire problems.
With a 140 mile daily commute you certainly are a prime candidate for a Prius. If your drive involves some nice level stretches, try Cruise Control. It's usually more economical than the foot.

I've never seen a "Toyota" brand steering wheel cover. After market covers are available at most good accessory stores.

Welcome to Prius Land....................
I dunno....if my car is in "D" and the door is either open or "ajar" the warning will show up and the "note" reads ..."battery will not charge" along with some other mumbo jumbo....I would have to go out there and "make it do it again to get the exact message. I can't do that today due to I'm driving the Tacoma today being Ms Priggy is getting her "lards" changed today. :shock:

·
Registered
457 Posts
OK.. sorry about that. (ahmeds) I lost the bet. I hope I do better on the Super Bowl.
In the 18 months I've had the Prius I haven't run into that one before. With the post from Hivolts I did a garage check.
Sure enough>> Car running>> Open the drivers door>> It won't shift out of PARK but the Red Triangle shows up and the MFD says>> "No charge in "N".. Shift to "P" ... I any case. I learned something although it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. The car was already in "P". Why is the "N" warning shown when the problem is an open/ajar door? I checked the (04) manual and can't find a reference to this anomaly.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That warning was originally intended to warn about leaving the car unattended in READY without its ability to maintain the battery's charge while in Neutral.

Then I am sure it was thought, one shouldn't leave the car in ANY gear but Park, so the same software routine (message) was used if you open the car door while not in PARK, even though the message is misleading for gears other than N.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"That warning was originally intended to warn about leaving the car unattended in READY without its ability to maintain the battery's charge"
I did not know that leaving the car had any affect on the Hybrid system.
However rare, these little Prius anomalies are good to know.
* I'll drop any plans I had to drive while standing outside on the "running board"- like my brother and I used to do with the old Model A. :twisted:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I edited my above post to read:

"That warning was originally intended to warn about leaving the car unattended in READY without its ability to maintain the battery's charge while in Neutral."

Most of the time, one would have a specific reason for being in Neutral, but since the ICE cannot charge the HV battery, it could quickly be discharged. If you are out of the car, you might not notice that the HV is depleting without the ability to be replenished. Fortunately the car will be turned off before it gets so low that it can't restart. I don't know if it puts the car back in park before turning off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.