Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my 04 today, I drive 75 miles each way to work, mostly flat freeway between L A and San Diego at 75 to 85, with the flow of traffic. What can I reasonalbly expect in MPG. I have watched the chat line for quite some time, and found it most interesting and helpfull.

·
Registered
34 Posts
moonlite said:
I am picking up my 04 today, I drive 75 miles each way to work, mostly flat freeway between L A and San Diego at 75 to 85, with the flow of traffic. What can I reasonalbly expect in MPG. I have watched the chat line for quite some time, and found it most interesting and helpfull.
Congrats on the new car!

In my experience on the freeway between LA & OC, which is mostly flat and mostly 70MPH, I was getting about 55 MPG. I'm still in the break-in period, so I just started using the cruise control and I'm pretty confident that the mileage will get better.

However, at higher speeds, you're going to take a hit on the mileage. I'd expect you'll be getting about 50 MPG or so after break-in if you use proper driving techniques.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think cybele is probably close. If you're closer to the 85mph end of things you may be in the low to mid 40s with MPG, but the continuous speed, warm temps, and steady traffic flow will be in your favor. If you can stay closer to the mid 60s for speed, or even 70mph you'll notice a significant improvement in fuel economy.
--evan

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2500 miles in my '04 with a 50/50 mix of freeway and city is that you will probably get mid to high 40's on the freeway and IF you are light on the pedal, maybe 52-54 around town. If you push 75-80, you will get low to mid 40s. High speed passing will knock you down quite a bit, too - if you drive a bit more leisurely you will do much better mileage wise. I have not seen many posts where anyone is getting EPA estimates. M average MPG to date is about 51 overall, but I really drive for max mileage and I am barely doing better than I do in my '03 (overall average there with my wife driving a lot of the mileage - she is not as MPG aware as I am) has been right at 48 mpg for the 17,000 miles we have had the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts