Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when watching the boob tube was surprised to see a comercial for the Prius. It touted that they are availible now! I was surprised by that, plus that they said people had waited up to 8 months for one. I thought there were quite a few people here that waited longer. Perhaps, Toyota didn't want to bring that up.

Spike

P.S. -- GM recalled a couple million SUVs today, but hey at least their trucks were named the worst in recent crash tests

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depends on where you are and what you want.

I just walked onto the lot, test drove a Prius and then bought it.

Then again, I'm in California and I think we get more than other states.

It also depends on if the dealer just got a bunch. Four Prii had been bought that day already. I was the fifth. And I wasn't fussy. I wanted a black and got it. I wanted a package 1 but would have settled for package 3. Didn't want 6. I wanted a gray interior and got ivory instead. But I'm still happy.

So it depends on what you want and where you are. And probably what time of the month the dealer gets deliverys and what arrives. They can be had. And you don't have to pay over sticker either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Toyota Motors chairman looks to US joint ventures

(from BBC Business News, April 26, 2005)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4484777.stm
(Toyota 2005 Prius shown as popular design example.)

BBC Business News Updated: Tuesday, 26 April, 2005, 10:53 GMT 11:53 UK

Toyota boss fears US trade fury

Japanese designs are proving popular in the US

Japan's car makers should consider giving their US rivals a breathing space to avoid the risk of a political backlash, the boss of Toyota has said.
Japanese car makers have taken nearly one third of the US market. Last week, General Motors posted a quarterly loss of $1.1bn, and Ford's profits fell.

By contrast, Nissan had record profits, and Honda's net profit rose 27%.

"We need to give time for some American companies to take a breath," said Toyota Motor chairman Hiroshi Okuda.

Mr Okuda, who is chairman of the Japanese employers' group Keidanran, said he was "concerned" about the situation at General Motors, the world's biggest car maker.

New trade wars fear

"Although a trade conflict, like ones....in the past, may be avoided, there may be some impact, because the car industry is symbolic in the US economy," the Asahai Shimbun newspaper quoted him as saying.

GM is suffering from weak sales in North America

As a solution, he suggested either forming technical alliances with US firms, or raising the price of Japanese cars sold in the US.

However, a spokesman for Toyota later dismissed price rises. "Our basic stance is that prices are something for the market to determine," the company spokesman said.

During the 1980s, Japanese firms faced political tensions in the US as lobbyists for local industries accused them of dumping unfairly cheap goods on the North American market.

Since then, Japanese car makers have switched production to US factories and boast their cars contain a high level of locally-made parts, and US manufacturers have become more concerned about competition from China.

But in the last couple of years, the popularity of Japanese cars with American consumers has hurt US car firms. Toyota last year sped past DaimlerChrysler to take third place in the US market

Many motor industry analysts argue that US motorists prefer Japanese brands because US manufacturers' designs are dull and dated.

Honda profits

Honda continued the Japanese challengers' successes with its fourth quarter results on Tuesday.

Net profit rose 27% to 95bn yen ($896m; £470m) against a year earlier, while sales climbed 9.5% to 2.35 trillion yen, shrugging off an the impact of an unfavourable dollar exchange rate.

Operating profits jumped 24%.

Nonetheless, analysts were disappointed as Honda's figures came in slightly below their forecasts, as did its prediction of overall profits growth of 3% in the 12 months to March 2006.

Honda is best known for motor bikes, and the popular Honda Civic family sedan.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: Toyota Motors chairman looks to US joint ventures

GSpozars said:
(from BBC Business News, April 26, 2005)

Many motor industry analysts argue that US motorists prefer Japanese brands because US manufacturers' designs are dull and dated.
DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!
Dull, dated and also add inferior in quality.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How refreshing.

That's a pretty refreshing business point of view.

I can't help thinking that if the car was in the other garage....er, the shoe was on the other foot the U.S. manufacturers would be spouting about crushing the competition and would put the pedal to the metal to excellerate the process.

It looks like Ford is the most likely team player for Toyota since they've already licensed some of the hybrid technology. I hope that alliance is extended and strengthened.

I don't know if anything can help GM. My Father thinks they'll just go bankrupt and be sold off piecemeal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When this happened in the 70's, the US companies forgot all about "market economy". Chrysler demanded and got help from the government.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: How refreshing.

Godiva said:
That's a pretty refreshing business point of view.

I can't help thinking that if the car was in the other garage....er, the shoe was on the other foot the U.S. manufacturers would be spouting about crushing the competition and would put the pedal to the metal to excellerate the process. . .
Well, sure but...

A. Toyota et. al. are not talking about giving American manufacturers a respite in the Japanese market. They are still "pedal to the metal" there.

B. The Japanese consumers have not, for the most part, found American cars to be appealing, compared to Japanese cars.

C. Were B to change, and Japanese manufacturers start to lose significant ground in the Japanese market, there's a good chance the Japanese government would be convinced to intervene.

The above points are mitigated by the fact that the Japanese market is much smaller than the American market.

So in conclusion, it's not so much that Toyota is more altruistic than American manufacturers (they're not), but that they actually think in terms of the long term mutual benefits to them, their customers, and their environment (governments, partners, employee base, competitors, the planet, etc).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Back to the original post. I haven't seen any of the ones for the Prius here but with a little hunting the car is available with less than a few weeks wait. The Toyota commercials that are now on constantly are those for the 282 HP Tundra pick-ups.
Sundays paper had an article mentioning that the Chevrolet division of General motors sold more cars last year than the entire Ford motor company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts