Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just hit 1700 miles on my new Prius (no waiting, got lucky!), and so far I love it. Took it on a road trip and averaged 45 mpg, including a few hours of 75mph interstate cruising.

So far I have yet to see a full charge on the battery icon displayed on the MFD. I know that the MFD is but an approximation of what actually is taking place, but I would have thought I would see it fully charged at least once by now. Normal driving for me is a mixture of stop and go with some beltway type interstate thrown in.

Anyone else seen this, or know if it is normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Normal driving won't fill up the battery. It's programmed to leave room for extended downhill stretches. So to fill it, you need to find a long downhill stretch. Also, the display only shows the 20% to 80% portion of the true battery capacity. The Prius avoids anything more extreme in order to extend battery life.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Robert,

Are you sure about this 20% to 80% SoC figure ? I know it is 40 to 80% on the "classic", I presume it is a larger range on the current model but have not find any reliable source so far. Where did you get this figure from ?

Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It's 40-80%.

I just came from a road trip. It's amazing how quickly the battery recharges to 6 bars. Once at 6, it'll stay there until you exit. Every time I slowed down as I exited the highway, I got 7 bars or the green bars. I've never seen 8 bars.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've seen it just hit "full" a few times and on most of them, if you blinked you'd have missed it. The only time it got "overfull" and started to work at discharging was coming down the Grapevine on I5 -- it takes a lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts