Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I occasionally have to drive through a flooded road. With my conventional car I just keep the revs up and drive at a speed so as not to set up a large bow wave with no problem. What is going to happen with the Prius if I approach the water slowly under EV mode and then the ICE decides to start up when the exhaust is under water, will the backpressure be a problem? This is the first time that I have come up against a ‘down’ for the hybrid.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
It's not the "ICE" mode I would be concerned about. You did notice the caution notes through-out the entire owners manual about the orange cables? I believe evidence of one intentional "dunking" would void all warranties on the snyergy system. Sounds like you're the one person who does have use for an SUV. Maybe on "those days" you could borrow someone else's car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops! I'd forgotten the high voltage. It's only an extra five miles to stay on the 'high' road, think i'll stick there. Just thought there must be river fords in the US and someone must have tried!!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
like with any car - it's safer to stay out of floodwaters. too easy for the car to be swept away, and you don't know what's lurking under the water that might come up and bite your car...

it's not really the HV cables that you have to worry about, its soaking the ECUs that are at floorboard level that isn't good. (Besides setting yourself up for a forever moldy car...)

There was some dramatic flood video that was shown internationally a year or two ago, which showed a helicopter rescue of a woman from her white Classic Prius that was being swept away by flood waters. So, electrocution is not a problem (what most people ask about...)

The intersection next to where I work is prone to flooding whenever the rain is heavy enough, and even more so if the drains are clogged with leafy matter... It's a fun sport for us to go watch all the cars getting stuck in the water, as opposed to turning around and using the other nearby exit from the office park... Quite fun watching the idiotic tow truck people dragging the car through the deeper portion of the flooded corner, then dropping the car, and then opening the door to get into it again to try again... <evil grin> anyhow, after the "lake" as we call it subsides, it's amazing the stuff that is in there: besides the sharp curb that was hidden and has taken out many a tire/wheel/hubcap, there are upturned hubcaps with their sharp edges looking for tires, and I've even seen a 2x4 in there with a few rusty nails pointed up, too. They were all hidden under the flood waters, so if you had ventured in, you wouldn't have seen them and likely would've driven over them...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts