Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '06 prius a few days ago and have already grown tired of the beeping when in reverse.

I've seen the threads related to disabling the beeping, but haven't seen anyone comment on any effects of the beeping.

I'm really curious why toyota would have built in the 'b-off' and 'b-on' display if they didn't intend to let owners decided if they wanted the beeping on or off.

Does disabling the beeping via the 'b-off' display only disable the reverse beeping or does it affect other beeps?

Has anyone experienced any negative effect related to disabling the reverse beeping?

I think I'm going to do it, but wanted to see what others had found out.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've decided to keep the beep on for now because I still find myself pushing the gear shift down to get into reverse. Eventually I'll get out of the habit of pushing down to get into any gear, then maybe I'll disable the beep.

·
Registered
991 Posts
After a few times where I shifted the gear too quickly and it ended up staying in reverse instead of switching to drive.. I decided to keep the beep :p

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
And that's the reason for the warning, cause Toyota decided on the "mickey mouse" gear shift. I am surprised they continue with it. It was replaced by a standard shift lever in the Camry hybrid just as Honda has done making it more of a car and a more easily rented vehicle.
I've never missed mine since the first week when I disabled it after finding the "beep" was on the inside of the car and could not be heard on the exterior even with the windows down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also disabled the beep, and am glad I did. But I always warn any new owners that I meet to be VERY careful when backing up. Pedestrians will often cross in back of you even when the backup lights are on since they can't hear the usual sound of the engine running. In addition, the view out the back is poor. They really should have made the beeping audible outside the car, then I would have kept it active.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Using a similar process, you can partially disable the seat belt warning by buckling and unbuckling the seatbelt instead of shifting into reverse.

I think you can add the beep to the passenger side, but I think you have to have the passenger buckle done/undone with it being registered that someone is in the passenger seat.
Maybe I'll try again with a bowling ball in the seat, as I do want the passenger seat belt buckle to beep.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DanMan32 said:
Using a similar process, you can partially disable the seat belt warning by buckling and unbuckling the seatbelt instead of shifting into reverse.

I think you can add the beep to the passenger side, but I think you have to have the passenger buckle done/undone with it being registered that someone is in the passenger seat.
Maybe I'll try again with a bowling ball in the seat, as I do want the passenger seat belt buckle to beep.
I did read that you could enable/disable the seat belt warning beeps. I'm planning on disabling both driver and passenger beeps. So it's exactly the same series of steps without the shift to 'R'?

The passenger seat belt's warning beep was actually on by default in my '06.

I successfully disabled the reverse beeping when I got back from lunch, so I'll have to try the seat belts tonight :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hyperion said:
And that's the reason for the warning, cause Toyota decided on the "mickey mouse" gear shift. I am surprised they continue with it. It was replaced by a standard shift lever in the Camry hybrid just as Honda has done making it more of a car and a more easily rented vehicle.
I've never missed mine since the first week when I disabled it after finding the "beep" was on the inside of the car and could not be heard on the exterior even with the windows down.
I'm glad Toyota kept the shifter. It's something different, efficient, out of the way and easy to use. That's gotta be one of the Prius' best selling points is that the ergonomics and the interface are far more advanced than anything else out there. Just adds to the benefits and supports sales of the Prius.

I don't necessarily agree with the 'idiot proofing' that Toyota put in place. Why not just make it an option on the screen menu to disable the beeps. I don't think alot of us need an obnoxious beep while backing up.... Isn't it obvious enough when the backup camera comes on? and the green 'R' is lit up?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
puppetmasta said:
DanMan32 said:

I did read that you could enable/disable the seat belt warning beeps. I'm planning on disabling both driver and passenger beeps. So it's exactly the same series of steps without the shift to 'R'?

The passenger seat belt's warning beep was actually on by default in my '06.

I successfully disabled the reverse beeping when I got back from lunch, so I'll have to try the seat belts tonight :)
Buzzer..................................................... Operation
Seat belt buzzers for driver’s seat...........Driver’s seat buckle switch OFF/ON
.............................................................(Seat belt unfastened " fastened)
Seat belt buzzer for passenger seat.............Passenger seat buckle switch OFF/ON
..................................................................(Seat belt unfastened/fastened)
A/T reverse buzzer........................................A/T R position/P position

·
Registered
45 Posts
Redblue88 said:
I've decided to keep the beep on for now because I still find myself pushing the gear shift down to get into reverse. Eventually I'll get out of the habit of pushing down to get into any gear, then maybe I'll disable the beep.
Ditto! At first I felt like I was driving a garbage truck, but now I appreciate having the reminder if I accidentally put it into reverse.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would embrace the reverse beep if it could be heard outside the car. I know when I'm in reverse. I put it there, after all. I want other people to know I'm backing up.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Since disabling the beep, I no longer have that pesky coyote tying to drop and anvil on my car. He always missed anyway, but still...

·
Registered
198 Posts
The beep has saved me a number of times. I just wish Toyota was a little more creative with the song the beep plays. Maybe future Prius will allow us to actually change the rhythm of the beep!

Wouldn't it be fun to back out of the garage with a salsa beat one week and a tango the next! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
hyperion said:
....cause Toyota decided on the "mickey mouse" gear shift. I am surprised they continue with it....
Actually I really like the gear shift. I find it easy to use, intuitive, and has the innovation I expect from a forward thinking car company.....to each his own.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I actually appreciate both the gear shift and reverse beep. When I had shoulder surgery a few months ago, the smaller shift really eased my driving. As to the beep, it focuses me on reverse, which I've been thankful for a couple times already. Anyway, the sound isn't nearly as annoying as most of the music coming out of passing cars these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I, too, agree that the back-up beep would be okay and useful if it were less intrusive. Maybe if there were more spacing between the beeps and increased as an object got closer. At the current default setting, I'm afraid I'll just have to leave mine off.

As to the seat-belt beep, I would really like to know what effect toggling between 'b-on' and 'b-off' has on the '06.

From my efforts following the instructions, it has absolutely no affect on the driver's side, where the seat-belt reminder will beep approximately six times, then turn off, regardless of the 'b-on' or 'b-off' indicator.

I wonder if, on the '06, the seat-belt toggle only affects the passenger side.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I disabled my beep early on when I got my car. However, last weekend I was on a camping trip and was opening the doors enough and such all weekend without starting the car that apparently the auxilliary battery got drained and that the beeping was reset (along with the trip odometers and the miles and mileage since last fillup). So, I was reminded how utterly annoying that beep is and I quickly re-disabled it.

Originally, my evolution on the beeping went something like this:

(1) It is annoying but necessary so that pedestrians will know that the car is backing up even if the engine is not on.

(2) Oh, it can't be heard outside the car? Well, it is still useful because backing up is always dangerous and that annoying beep will insure that I do it as little as possible.

(3) No, actually, all that beep is doing is causing me to back up more rapidly and carelessly so I can get rid of the sound as quickly as possible. I'm disabling it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.